Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Well that's Halfords living up to their reputation once more.

As said the indexing on Jnr's new bike was shot to pieces.
I took it back explaining to Goon A the problem.
Wouldn't shift into the big cog at the back, and the front ring shift was hard for jnr (but that might just be him)

Goon A looks perplexed, shifts gear a few times, then says 'hmm the gears aren't working'
He picks up a screwdriver and holds it over the mech but thankfully does nothing.
Goon B says 'can you leave it'.

I've just picked it up, Goon C says 'yeah it's all sorted, everything fine, it'll get smoother once the cable has stretched'.

I just wanted out, knowing I should have just sorted it myself.

Get home and the gears still won't shift into the big cog at the back :facepalm:

I have to wait for the cable to stretch before I can use all gears, FFS.

"Ok Alberto the bikes good to go, but you just can't use your climbing gear on the Tourmalet, until the cable has stretched".

Mmm, I could be wrong but the cable stretching should make it more difficult to get into the biggest cog!

Why don't you just adjust yourself, has it got an adjuster on the back of the rear mech? Is the little screw that limits the travel preventing it changing?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mmm, I could be wrong but the cable stretching should make it more difficult to get into the biggest cog!

Why don't you just adjust yourself, has it got an adjuster on the back of the rear mech? Is the little screw that limits the travel preventing it changing?
I guess I was just hoping my Halfords would be the exception that proved the rule.
Sadly not.

I knew I should have done it myself, the moment I spoke to Vacant Goon A.
I just figured I'd let them do it, after all it is their responsibility.

As for the stretching cable bollox, I was already walking out shaking my head.

I'll have a little fettle over the weekend and all will be fine.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Seems Ole Greg would like to see him banged up - although who could blame him! http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greg-lemond-lance-armstrong-should-go-to-jail

As for the perjury, he made a deposition under oath that he never doped or took any drugs, and yet has since admitted that he did. How can that not be proved to be perjury?

Just out of interest, I looked it up and in the US -

Despite the vital importance of ensuring the collection of truthful testimony, a review of the federal and state rules of civil procedure shows a general failure to provide directly for sanctions when a party commits perjury during a deposition

D

Deleted member 22389

Wouldn't shift into the big cog at the back, and the front ring shift was hard for jnr (but that might just be him)

Goon A looks perplexed, shifts gear a few times, then says 'hmm the gears aren't working'
He picks up a screwdriver and holds it over the mech but thankfully does nothing.

I've just picked it up, Goon C says 'yeah it's all sorted, everything fine, it'll get smoother once the cable has stretched'.

Get home and the gears still won't shift into the big cog at the back :facepalm:

"Ok Alberto the bikes good to go, but you just can't use your climbing gear on the Tourmalet, until the cable has stretched".

I asked for advice on a new rim for my racing bike, what they offered me was one where you can attach a break disc. I really don't think they know what they are doing. Do racing bikes now have brake disks?. In in the end I went to My Cycles in Seaford, who got me a proper rim. It was about £90 quid. You really can't beat the advice from the indepedant stores. They know there stuff in Mr Cycles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rayments just got back to me with a quote for £45 for a service plus parts! Where can I get this fabled £20 service?
It'll be the best £45 you'll have spent in a while.

That'll be a full service plus parts, verses a tune up.

I bet [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] doesn't pay that, and neither will you after a period of time 'shopping' there.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I asked for advice on a new rim for my racing bike, what they offered me was one where you can attach a break disc. I really don't think they know what they are doing. Do racing bikes now have brake disks?. In in the end I went to My Cycles in Seaford, who got me a proper rim. It was about £90 quid. You really can't beat the advice from the indepedant stores. They know there stuff in Mr Cycles.

Disc brakes are likely to be UCI-legal on road bikes in the next year or 2, so maybe they're planning ahead. It's somewhat more likely they wouldn't know which end to put the wheel in the first place though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

In fairness to them, when I got a puncture the other week by the Amex I walked down Lewes Road to Halfords and they let me use their kit to fix it. At least they didn't offer to do it :)

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Disc brakes are likely to be UCI-legal on road bikes in the next year or 2, so maybe they're planning ahead. It's somewhat more likely they wouldn't know which end to put the wheel in the first place though.

There's a superb episode of the Gadget Show where they review some stupidly expensive bike with disc brakes (some rare prototype worth around £24k). They did actually comment that the braking felt a bit off, which is not surprising when you can clearly see that they had the front wheel on the wrong way round and the disc was on the opposite side to the pads!

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Hi Gents and Ladies

I am currently organising a charity day on Thursday 17th July at the London Velo Park, which has raised over £31,000 already but have today been offered an extra hour between 5pm and 6pm to see if we can raise some more. Full details of the day are on https://www.facebook.com/events/1487889938107064/

All the other places on the day have been sold at Charity Auctions across the UK, and has helped the GB Athlete created Legacy 300 project raise over £137K this winter. Each place comes with a reserve price that pays for the Facilities, Food, Athlete and yes keep me in a job.

You are invited to pledge an amount (up to you, but the average on the day itself is around £525 per head) and to support whatever good cause you wish to support; to enable participation in the first ever charity day at the Lee Valley Velo Park, (all equipment is provided)

With Cycling fever at an all-time high; a quick social media blitz would be great or simply ask them to pledge via https://www.facebook.com/events/1487889938107064/

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me via the Facebook page.

Cheers
Billy

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just picked up an old 1915 bike I intend to do up. I reckon its got the biggest saddle I've ever seen. A rare Brooks B12. Measures a whopping 20 inches long from front to back. The leather component alone is 16 inches long and 10 inches wide.

View attachment 56115

Shame its broken but can be restored.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Can't see the picture :shrug:

rusty1.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Rayments just got back to me with a quote for £45 for a service plus parts! Where can I get this fabled £20 service?

It'll be the best £45 you'll have spent in a while.

That'll be a full service plus parts, verses a tune up.

I bet [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] doesn't pay that, and neither will you after a period of time 'shopping' there.

SB is right. They look after me.

Even when I am utterly incompetent, and let cables go beyond their limit, forget how to clean my headset, go to them a week before l'etape with annoying little things that need doing. They smile, tell me to leave it with them, no appointment necessary, and do the work quickly, cheaply and well.

I've had excellent discounts on bikes, too. And freebies at times.

Seriously, they are good guys. Well worth cultivating, Notters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here