Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
1,2,3 & 5 for me today :) Had westra from the start and today I'm glad I've kept faith with him. Bizarrely my internet also went dow last night after the game and I done last nights transfers and this on my phone.

Well done. My lack of internet has only really cost me with my domestiques, trawling the lower reaches of each days finishers and jerseys to find a bargain is necesary and quite enjoyable. For example I still had Phinney today when he abandoned yesterday.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well done. My lack of internet has only really cost me with my domestiques, trawling the lower reaches of each days finishers and jerseys to find a bargain is necesary and quite enjoyable. For example I still had Phinney today when he abandoned yesterday.

Router now reconfigured, internet back on :)

I noticed a very handy thing in that the team jersey next to each rider in your team has all the colour washed out if that rider has abandoned. It's what alerted me to Phinney last night as I made my changes. Ideal scenario for me as it meant last nights tranfers virtually picked themselves.

Talking of quite enjoyable. I'm a tad alarmed by just how much I've got into this. I find myself nipping on the internet during dinner and afternoon break at work to get live updates on each stage in this Paris - Nice via LeTour site. I then spend a good while just before going to bed pouring over the results and working out my transfers. A bit sad maybe, but I confess I'm loving it. However, all this effort is doing nothing towards me breaking into that top two. You two really are good at this! Well played.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's the Paris - (not very) Nice, for me.

Oh well Spring Classics soon, I have some confidence there

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Be interesting to see if anyone can predict a breakaway rider for a stage win tomorrow.

I'm going for David Lelay.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Be interesting to see if anyone can predict a breakaway rider for a stage win tomorrow.

I'm going for David Lelay.

Initial thoughts are that it will be someone from one of the teams that have missed out thus far. There will be a lot of unhappy DSs at this stage, off the top of my head, Liquigas, Cofidis, Saur, Ag2R, Lampre, Europcar and Saxo have achieved nothing so far and have no real GC contenders, I'm expecting a really aggressive start tomorrow.

So with that in mind I am going for Igor Anton, nice and hilly tomorrow which should suit him.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Initial thoughts are that it will be someone from one of the teams that have missed out thus far. There will be a lot of unhappy DSs at this stage, off the top of my head, Liquigas, Cofidis, Saur, Ag2R, Lampre, Europcar and Saxo have achieved nothing so far and have no real GC contenders, I'm expecting a really aggressive start tomorrow.

Good thinking, I hadn't really thought of that but realised none of the GC's are likely to do much with that profile. Handily Lelay fits the bill you describe, can climb ok, is a very aggressive rider and far enough down the GC to be allowed to get away. Oh yeah, French too of course. All looks good on paper but it's real lottery picking this one I reckon. You making any predictions ?

Went for Boonen today, so a bit disappointed to see that the peleton couldn't reel 'em in today as expected. So fingers crossed for tomorrow now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice editing Pantani :thumbsup: I've only just clocked your prediction.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Nice editing Pantani :thumbsup: I've only just clocked your prediction.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Like wise. I've got the internet again, so today I got to watch the stage finish of both Paris-Nice and Tirenno-Adriatico. Boassan-Hagen's win was most impressive, it has been a good week for Sky so far.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Like wise. I've got the internet again, so today I got to watch the stage finish of both Paris-Nice and Tirenno-Adriatico. Boassan-Hagen's win was most impressive, it has been a good week for Sky so far.

Nice. Read a bit about Tirenno - Adriatico earlier. Didn't her beat Tyler Farrar in the sprint of something ? Very impressive if so. O'Grady still leading the GC? Sure I heard earlier in the week Cav already abandoned, or did I imagine that ? Not been following that race, as you can tell.

I sometimes watch stages finishes clips on Steephill, but agin not been following Tirenno - Adriatico on there. Might go and have a look now as it happens to see if I can see that EBH win.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just watched that EBH stage win here : Last Km of Stage 3 (2012/tirreno-adriatico)

Impressive indeed. Had a quick look at the standings too. I was wrong on O'Grady, but right on the nationality :lol: Greenedge holding the first four places in GC I see.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just watched that EBH stage win here : Last Km of Stage 3 (2012/tirreno-adriatico)

Impressive indeed. Had a quick look at the standings too. I was wrong on O'Grady, but right on the nationality :lol: Greenedge holding the first four places in GC I see.

Good wasn't it, Greipel just could not come round him. Greenedge will not be there once it goes uphill (tomorrow and especially Sunday) I would wager.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good wasn't it, Greipel just could not come round him. Greenedge will not be there once it goes uphill (tomorrow and especially Sunday) I would wager.

I was surprised at some of the big names there to be honest. This year is the first time I'm ever hearing of this race. I usually only watch the TdF and only heard of the some of the big classics/stage races and the other two grand Tours from listening to Phil and Paul.

This fantasy cycling business you've got me hooked on has broadened my horizons no end :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Typical ! - I finally work Leipheimer into my team and he has a nightmare by crashing not once but twice ! :facepalm: And to top it all I only just off loaded De Gendt a couple of days ago too :glare:

Be interesting to see how Leipheimer reacts tomorrow, and what legs De Gendt and Taaramae have left.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Typical ! - I finally work Leipheimer into my team and he has a nightmare by crashing not once but twice ! :facepalm: And to top it all I only just off loaded De Gendt a couple of days ago too :glare:

Be interesting to see how Leipheimer reacts tomorrow, and what legs De Gendt and Taaramae have left.

Three times actually, he crashed early in the stage too. Was so close to putting Taaramae in yesterday, not a great day for me overall but hoping for better tomorrow, I saved some transfers so should have a strong time trialing team for the final stage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having screwed up, right from the start.
Levi was the last card in my deck, Paris - Not so Nice just wasn't for me.

Roll on Belgium.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good stuff Brad, it's great to see GB and Sky winning.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good stuff Brad, it's great to see GB and Sky winning.

Seconded. :clap2:

All bodes well for more ITV cycling coverage too as road racing becomes more and more popular over here due to household names doing the business :)

Thoroughly enjoyed keeping tabs on this Paris - Nice, all thanks to the fantasy cycling interest. Would love to come home from work and settle down to live recorded coverage of this, some of the classics and the other two grand tours just like I do TdF. Hoping ITV will at the very least be covering the Vuelta again this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
5-live breakfast interviewed Lionel Birnie (journo) before Cav's win in 2009 :ohmy:.

LB was explaining the route, and distance.

Interviewer - So what is that 3 days?
LB - No they will be here about 4pm.

A very long silence then followed as the woman tried, but couldn't, process:-

Distance - Time + Bicycle = 4pm :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here