Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well if I push the left gear shifter further to the right and hold it there, it tends to stop clicking, but obviously I can't ride while constantly holding on to it, so I'm kind of thinking it probably just needs a small adjustment (this seems to happen whichever chain ring is in use).

I know about not using opposite extremes on the chainrings and I'm conscious not to do that, so I don't *think* it's that. I've also been well advised about trying to change gears smoothly & gently & not trying to force it, so hopefully I'm on the ball there too.

It (the gear slipping) mostly seems to be happening if I'm trying to push it on an uphill stretch, although the clickiness can happen at any point.

Will ask Giant to have a look :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My wife hails from Bridport, so I have spent many years going there to visit the in-laws.

That ride along the coast from Bridport to Abbotsbury is unbelievably tough. I haven't done it for a few years, but you mentioning it has made me want to try it again. You *******. :wink:
More fool you.

Go to the cake shop 3 doors down from the pub.
A slice of their chocolate cake, and you'll not get out of Abbotsbury for a week.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Assuming it's mechanical chances are it's just a simple quarter turn on one of the 2 little screws, you haven't even noticed, on your rear derailleur. DO NOT DO THAT YOURSELF.

Too right! It certainly isn't the little screws, they only limit the extent of the movement at either extreme. It's the big adjuster as the gear cable goes into the derailleur.

I think it's fair enough to have a fiddle yourself. Prop the bike up and run through the gears while you pedal with you hand - see if the gears have a little trouble shifting up or down the block.

I'm sure YouTube is full of videos on how to adjust. If it doesn't work then you can still take it to the bike shop.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well if I push the left gear shifter further to the right and hold it there, it tends to stop clicking, but obviously I can't ride while constantly holding on to it, so I'm kind of thinking it probably just needs a small adjustment (this seems to happen whichever chain ring is in use).

I know about not using opposite extremes on the chainrings and I'm conscious not to do that, so I don't *think* it's that. I've also been well advised about trying to change gears smoothly & gently & not trying to force it, so hopefully I'm on the ball there too.

It (the gear slipping) mostly seems to be happening if I'm trying to push it on an uphill stretch, although the clickiness can happen at any point.

Will ask Giant to have a look :thumbsup:
Cool.

It does sound like just a minor adjustment is needed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In the meantime, I'm already working on my cyclist's tan :D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I haven't watched this for a while:-

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just sneaked in on Strava with a late Sunday session :)

Explored new ground and ended up around Rushlake Green and back which turned out to be 45 miles. Absolutely gorgeous evening, arriving home at dusk and the temperature was perfect! Less hilly than most routes I end up on and barely a breath of wind, so average speed up on what I usually get too. Felt bloody great!, which is a relief as this past week or so I've barely felt up to riding and when I did it was a real battle.

No wildlife stories mind, just the usual baby rabbits flitting around by the side of the road without any bother at all.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
In the meantime, I'm already working on my cyclist's tan :D

Yeah, me too. I made my usual early summer error of not going far enough up the arms and legs with the factor 30 today, and have ended up with inch wide burn hoops on both arms and both legs.

But I didn't get suncream on my lycra!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just sneaked in on Strava with a late Sunday session :)

Explored new ground and ended up around Rushlake Green and back which turned out to be 45 miles. Absolutely gorgeous evening, arriving home at dusk and the temperature was perfect! Less hilly than most routes I end up on and barely a breath of wind, so average speed up on what I usually get too. Felt bloody great!, which is a relief as this past week or so I've barely felt up to riding and when I did it was a real battle.

No wildlife stories mind, just the usual baby rabbits flitting around by the side of the road without any bother at all.
Nice ride, although 51mph is a little rapid.

I've ridden around the northern section a couple of times, and that was lovely.
Basically circling Uckfield, around Heathfield, Mayfield, Maresfield etc.
Very quiet, very wealthy.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

51mph is insane. Fair play though.

I've not made it that far south myself but yes, it is a nice region.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For anyone who hasn't seen any of today's Dauphine, make sure you watch as much of the highlights as you can. I'll say no more, except... (God willing) Blimey!, are we going to be in a for a treat this TdF or what!? :O

Thanks, yes it's lovely out that way, very quiet roads even if some of the houses border on the obscene (to my ind anyway). There was a nice little touch shown on a lane with a blind bend up into Punnets Town. As I approached it I heard a toot from an oncoming car which just made me even more alert and prepared me perfectly for the little old lady that then appeared from round the bend going nice and steady in her little car so as not to crash into anyone. She had her window down so a nice big smile and a cheery 'Thank you' was awaiting her. Summed up the very pleasant nature of the whole ride perfectly.

Not sure about the accuracy of that 51mph to be honest. I was certainly going much faster than I've ever gone down that stretch, and probably faster than I've ever been before anywhere, as I was feeling really good and confident and the road is lovely smooth tarmac without a pothole in sight (just two side roads to watch for and they had no cars waiting at them). Just checked my cateye comp since you mentioned it and that says 42mph max. Hard to know what's accurate and what's not to be honest between the Cateye, Sports Tracker app and Strava, especially as I've noticed some of those Strava gradients are definitely out. Anyway, I enjoyed the thrill and came out the other side safely, and that's all that really matters :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
51mph is insane. Fair play though.

I've not made it that far south myself but yes, it is a nice region.

See my post above Moto. I wouldn't read too much into the actual speed to be honest - I don't completely trust the accuracy of all these apps and cycle computers. It's taken me a while to get to the stage to go for it downhill like I did yesterday, as usually I'm a little bit of a nervy descender at the best of times.

Btw, 1066 mini (m) tells me it's only you and him with a Dauphine team in the fantasy purist league. That's a shame to see the numbers fall away that badly already.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I kicked myself for missing the start of the Dauphine.
I think I got about wrapped up in the Tour talk, and it just sneaked up on me.

I fail to see how Le Tour can be a failure this year.
Even if Nibs isn't on it (which I doubt) they'll still be enough quality attacking third place.
Whereas Sky and Saxo Bank have more than enough heavy hitters to properly battle for the lead.
Every second's going to count, and they'll need to be taken anywhere and everywhere.

42mph would then seem more realistic, you'd definitely know about it going faster.
I clocked 40 mph today down my usual descent.
I knew I was going fast as a car that overtook me then failed to then push on.
Fortunately I wasn't too close to get nervous, but a clear road would have been preferable.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
See my post above Moto. I wouldn't read too much into the actual speed to be honest - I don't completely trust the accuracy of all these apps and cycle computers. It's taken me a while to get to the stage to go for it downhill like I did yesterday, as usually I'm a little bit of a nervy descender at the best of times.

Btw, 1066 mini (m) tells me it's only you and him with a Dauphine team in the fantasy purist league. That's a shame to see the numbers fall away that badly already.

Come off at 50mph and lose 5mm of skin/flesh. I need a really nice road to bone it.

Can't believe I did a transfer in the purist Giro. What a twunt.

As stated above, the last bump on the CDD was brilliant.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My hope is that Nibs is perhaps just a little behind schedule and going to peak just right for TdF. Mind you, just had a look at some of his past results, and he didn't do great in the Dauphine when he got 3rd in the Wiggins TdF. Clearly prefers the Giro, Vuelta combo most years, so hopefully to have targetted the TdF this year he's going to be in peak form come July :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Come off at 50mph and lose 5mm of skin/flesh. I need a really nice road to bone it.

Can't believe I did a transfer in the purist Giro. What a twunt.

As stated above, the last bump on the CDD was brilliant.

Oh...Mini will be pleased, must mean he's just gone and won it already then :lol:

Think too hard about what damage you're going to do coming off at high speed and you ain't going to go over 25mph..... EVER! Not going to get in a car, train or plane for that matter either :wink:

Point taken though.

This Dauphine is going to be cracking to watch as well.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
In terms of descending, I guess I had a bit of a reality check at the weekend. When I 'found' my new training loop I gave it loads down the twisty slope. This weekend a load of gravel had been washed across it, so the fast line was not on. Maybe I got luck the week before?
[MENTION=21898]The judge[/MENTION] knows best.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bloody strava :rant:

Earlier I popped out for my 10 mile TT.
The wind made my favourite segment impossible, so I had to 'go for it' on new segments, to make sure I kept a good overall time.

1.2 miles, flat.
Average 27.4mph - max 27.7mph.

I was well happy with that right up to the moment I saw the leaderboard, now I'm just depressed!!
You don't even get close to the top 10 unless you can average over 30mph.

Freaks the lot of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here