[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
They'll be dodging coffins for a long time if they keep up the cycling - it prolongs your life you know!

[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and I were recently near the end of a 50 or 60 miler when we got overtaken up the hill into Rottingdean from Saltdean. The guy turned to us and shouted "And I'm 60!"

:down:

I get overtaken by most 60 year olds :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As you'll know, sb, no flat roads round here but I do miss proper climbs. I never even use the small ring round here - especially now I've got a 50/34.
Here it is, Strava seems to make it look easier than it actually is:-

http://www.strava.com/segments/736483

My usual route to the roundabout is London Road (south).
Thursday we took the country route away from the A29 (west), that one ends with a short sharp shock.
Friday I came up from Houghton B2139 (east).

So basically I have no choice but to hit the average 8% from the north, tomorrow.
It's no cake walk from the top of the climb to the roundabout, either.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As you'll know, sb, no flat roads round here but I do miss proper climbs. I never even use the small ring round here - especially now I've got a 50/34.
When I was regularly in the South West of Dorset, Bridport area, the 'hills' around there were frightening.

I made a point of never riding long the coast roads, I seem to remember Abbotsbury having a climb you'd need crampons for.
It comes to something when riding north into Somerset was preferable.

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
When I was regularly in the South West of Dorset, Bridport area, the 'hills' around there were frightening.

I made a point of never riding long the coast roads, I seem to remember Abbotsbury having a climb you'd need crampons for.
I comes to something when riding north into Somerset was preferable.

Yes, West Dorset is pretty lumpy. I keep meaning to get across to the purbecks as well but the added faff of riding through Bournemouth and put get the ferry has out me off.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Lucky I decided to treat my new bike with more respect than my last! Just gave it a clean and noticed a little pimple of inner tube sticking through the tyre!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
:lolol:

Now's the time to test the bit of plastic bottle (sanded round the edges) and bit of old inner tube 'bodge'.

Yeah what the hell, what's the worse that could happen.

Bit crazy to bodge it rather than put a different tyre on.

I pumped the tyre up and the repair did not look safe! Couldn't bring myself to out the 25mm gator skin on the De Rosa so I found an old gp4000s off some wheels my dad gave me.

Only problem now is that I've got 1 black tyre and 1 red!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I did 34 miles today, venturing into East Sussex for the first time (Burgess Hill- Haywards Heath- Scaynes Hill- Newick- Piltdown- Isfield- Lewes- Westmeston-Ditchling-Hassocks- home). I managed to climb up all the (little) hills without stopping for any walks of shame, so I'm quite happy with that for now.

One moment where I nearly lost it in an unclipping moment but managed to save the day (I tightened the SPD on my left side compared to the previous ride). Still finding the gears are slipping a bit, mainly when I'm having to push it harder, not sure why this is, but it nearly threw me off at one stage. Also lost the chain once as a result & had to stop to put it back on.

Is that likely to be just because it's new & everything hasn't settled down yet? It'll get serviced at the end of the month, so I'm hoping that will sort it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still finding the gears are slipping a bit, mainly when I'm having to push it harder, not sure why this is, but it nearly threw me off at one stage. Also lost the chain once as a result & had to stop to put it back on.

Is that likely to be just because it's new & everything hasn't settled down yet? It'll get serviced at the end of the month, so I'm hoping that will sort it.
Always hard to say.

Obviously it shouldn't happen, and it goes without saying don't miss the service. Make sure you explain what's happening.

Being a newbie it's easy to wonder if you're asking the gears to do 'unnatural' things.
ie - You're not riding on the big front ring as well as the big back ring, and visa versa.
Perhaps you're forcing the gears while under to much pressure of the climb, or being too hard on the shifters.

Even then a well set up bike should handle that in it's stride (just won't be happy about it).

Assuming it's mechanical chances are it's just a simple quarter turn on one of the 2 little screws, you haven't even noticed, on your rear derailleur. DO NOT DO THAT YOURSELF.

Don't wait for the service if it continues, Giant will sort it for you on the spot, assuming you don't take it in Saturday morning!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

It comes to something when riding north into Somerset was preferable.

My wife hails from Bridport, so I have spent many years going there to visit the in-laws.

That ride along the coast from Bridport to Abbotsbury is unbelievably tough. I haven't done it for a few years, but you mentioning it has made me want to try it again. You *******. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports