Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wow! That was ridiculous. For the second time this Giro I'm gonna say it is all over, this time I am correct though. The only way Quintana does not win from here is if he gets really ill (considering he has been ill all along that seems unlikely). Should be a bumper haul for me today, though probably for everyone, 1,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 for me!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Right lets clear a few other things up.

Mods I can accept.
Girls I can definitely accept.
Newbies are most definitely welcome.

But I will not have talk of triathlon on this thread. Freaks the lot of them. :lolol:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Aye, that was a punishment. Makes me feel a little better seeing the cadence drop at the end. Some very ballsy descending going on too.

Good to see a bit more tech coming into play: gradient detail.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm getting myself one, well as soon as my employer gets its backside into gear with my Cycle To Work scheme voucher. Can't wait. I'm going to order a Giant road bike. They seem to do fairly decent bikes for us relative novices and they have a main dealer shop in Shoreham. Staff seemed very helpful when I went in.

As you are having to wait a while, have you tried plenty of bikes in other stores? Always worth trying as many bikes as you can. Sounds like you have received decent advice from a few shops though.

I know I won't qualify as a GEEK just yet, but I'm hoping that, once I've knocked off a few hundred miles, you might consider accepting me into your gang :)

If you want to talk about bikes, then obviously you are welcome here (is it a bit weird implying a mod can post on a thread?). Most of the Geeks did not start out that geeky anyway, and what was originally a thread about Fantasy Cycling certainly has very little to do with it now.

As mentioned in my previous post though, talking about triathlons will lead to the more old school amongst us looking down our noses at you. Triathlon is for people who just cannot make their mind up what they want to do! :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well, what a stage! :clap2:

People can say what they like about was the Stelvio descent neutralised or not?, so should Quintana et al. have attacked ? blah blah blah...but Quintana took a further 2 minutes on the final climb anyway, so redundant argument really. Cleary, as SB says, Quintana had targeted todays stage as the stage to take as much time back as possible, and boy did he take back time!

Funny how Kelderman didn't want to come through when Majka tried to go at around 4km but then had it in him to attack the lot of them a few kms on. Clever racing and certainly surprised me as I thought he'd be dropping back down the GC by now. But then who'd have predicted Hesjedal and Rolland would have gained so much time today?

Got to love the way Evans just never gives up. And what a ride by young Sebastian Henao, again. Biggest disappointment probably for me today, not that there's anything to complain about on such an epic day, was that Pozzo didn't use his two riders up ahead to launch an attack from further out. I blame Mick Rogers :wink:

Fantastic racing! and it isn't even over yet by a long chalk, well the rest of the podium behind Quintana that is. Gaps really closing up nicely behind Uran now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Advice please - thinking of getting a road bike. Currently pootling around on an MTB whilst I recover from a long term running injury and quite enjoying it so will continue even once I'm back running properly, but it's a bit slow and boring averaging 14-15mph and getting passed by old men on lighter machines. Any recommendations ? Looking for a cheapish option (max say £800-1000) that would suit mid Sussex country lanes for rides up to 3-4 hours. Complete novice at this..........
Just about all Local Bike Shops are the best retailers on the high street.
Knowledgeable, passionate and committed.
They know if they do a good job they've got you for life, and it shows.

You both need to try as many bikes as you can, although 'the same' they are all a little bit different.
You'll notice the differences very quickly, making THE bike easier to spot, even for a novice.

You've got an interesting price point Dazzer.
A couple of hundred above entry level, and your top end is just into the carbon market.
So you can either buy a good bike and all the extras, shoes, pedals, cleats, clothing, helmet, computer.
Or you could get the top specced bike and do the same as just about everybody else, and slowly build up the accessories.

If you both buy the bikes you LOVE you will ride it more.
There's no point compromising for a better deal if it's not the bike that's taken your heart, you just won't enjoy riding it as much.
I know it sounds stupid but trust me.
I'm getting myself one, well as soon as my employer gets its backside into gear with my Cycle To Work scheme voucher. Can't wait. I'm going to order a Giant road bike. They seem to do fairly decent bikes for us relative novices and they have a main dealer shop in Shoreham. Staff seemed very helpful when I went in.

That's what I quite like the idea of, never done one before as I've only ever had mountain bikes (and I hated running). But once I've got a road bike, it's more of an option. The running in a sprint triathlon isn't that far, & I've run a couple of marathons so I know I can do it if I train. Always been a good swimmer anyway, so I am keen to give it a go.

More likely in the immediate future is a sportive or two, just to get me out & about & in good company. I can't tell you how keen I am to get on the bike & head out. It's driving me nuts how long it's taking HR to sort out my voucher. We had two options via work: one through independent retailers & one through Halfords. Needless to say, I avoided Halfords. I actually wanted to buy the Giant through a local shop in Haywards Heath but it turned out they weren't in the scheme. Shame, as the owner was incredibly helpful. Hence I went to Giant in Shoreham instead. But they've also been really knowledgeable and have given me all sorts of advice, so I'm just hoping to finally get it sorted out in the next week or so.

I know I won't qualify as a GEEK just yet, but I'm hoping that, once I've knocked off a few hundred miles, you might consider accepting me into your gang :)
As above.
It's a shame your not comfy on a women's bike, my LBS has a very striking and lovely looking Cube Axial in the window.
Again if you have a couple of weeks go and try a few other makes and models, chances are you'll be back at Giant anyway, but it will be a benefit.

Hi Geeks, road bike advice please. I'm getting pins and needles in my hands after about 15km - clearly I'm putting too much weight through my hands when I am riding.

What can I do? Lower the saddle? Try a shorter stem?

My bike is due it's 6 month check up at the store I bought it from soon, so I'll pick their brain too.
The first rule of thumb is when riding 'normally' is the front wheel spindle should be obscured by your handle bars.
If it isn't then your either cramped or over reaching which is straining your hands, arms and shoulders.
That's easily adjustable with your saddle and stem.
If not then you might be gripping too tight, or your not loose enough.
You could also try more padding on your bars/mitts.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION], EK, (we're very initial orientated here) welcome!!

But don't unpack everything, we're moving to our Summer retreat in a months time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh and @Enda Krabappel, EK, (we're very initial orientated here) welcome!!

But don't unpack everything, we're moving to our Summer retreat in a months time.

Haha, thanks. I promise I won't mention the T word any more. As I said, the initial plan, once I've got used to riding with cleats etc (only used them once before & yeah, I did get one shoe stuck on the pedal & fell off :lolol:), is to have a go at a sportive or two. Just to see how I get on.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Advice please - thinking of getting a road bike. Currently pootling around on an MTB whilst I recover from a long term running injury and quite enjoying it so will continue even once I'm back running properly, but it's a bit slow and boring averaging 14-15mph and getting passed by old men on lighter machines. Any recommendations ? Looking for a cheapish option (max say £800-1000) that would suit mid Sussex country lanes for rides up to 3-4 hours. Complete novice at this..........

As Edna mentioned the cycle 2 work scheme allows you to get a bike worth up to £1000 minus tax so for around £600 in reality, I think. Further advice on Brands and bikes is not worth giving really. It is just the same old advice we always give on this thread, try as many bikes as you possibly can. Allocate yourself a day to get around as many shops as you can try everything they have in (above and below your budget) and take notes.

Remember that each frame by each manufacturer will come with a few different levels of componentry, for example the Giant Road Bikes that Edna is talking about come in at £500, £600, £700, £800 and £1000 for what is essentially the same frame. So if you try a bike by a particular manufacturer and of a certain model the chances are the other versions will feel pretty similar.

Once you have tried as many as you can, narrow it down to two or three bikes. Then try them again on another day. After that you should be ready to make an informed decision. It really is worth taking your time over this purchase, as you will ride the bike you love, a lot. Rush the purchase and get it wrong and you will soon have £1000 gathering dust in the garage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Haha, thanks. I promise I won't mention the T word any more. As I said, the initial plan, once I've got used to riding with cleats etc (only used them once before & yeah, I did get one shoe stuck on the pedal & fell off :lolol:), is to have a go at a sportive or two. Just to see how I get on.
As you were originally looking in HH, I guess you're not too far from Burgess Hill.

http://www.srs-events.cc/ run some really good sportives from there.
Very well signed, caterer and hugely popular.
I suggest you look them up and book one now, before the end of the season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right off to walk Stat Hound.

After a flat 47 miles earlier anyone want to lay odds on whether I can get past the chippie, or not?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As you were originally looking in HH, I guess you're not too far from Burgess Hill.

http://www.srs-events.cc/ run some really good sportives from there.
Very well signed, caterer and hugely popular.
I suggest you look them up and book one now, before the end of the season.

Excellent, thanks. I'm in Burgess Hill as it goes.

My initial and basest ambition is to be able to cycle up Ditchling Beacon in one go, without pausing to rest :lol:

Then there'll be no stopping me :thumbsup:

Quick edit: having looked at those routes, they all seem to start from the schools around the corner from where I live. Bonus.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hi Geeks, road bike advice please. I'm getting pins and needles in my hands after about 15km - clearly I'm putting too much weight through my hands when I am riding.

What can I do? Lower the saddle? Try a shorter stem?

My bike is due it's 6 month check up at the store I bought it from soon, so I'll pick their brain too.

So, SB is correct with hub thing. Though that said it is very easy to convince yourself that your hub is covered by your bars, perspective means that your bars cover quite a wide area once it gets down to hub height. Therefore quite a range of bike positions are possible whilst meeting the bars covering hub guideline.

Are you wearing cycling gloves? I get terrible pins and needles and CTS if I forget to wear my gloves on long rides.

Do not lower your saddle what ever you do. That is definitely not the problem, presuming you had the bike fitted properly on purchase.

The final one seems a bit silly, but how tight do you grip the bars? I used to have real problems when I was starting out because I held on so tightly when descending.

So, before changing the fit of your bike, try gloves, looser grip, changing hand position frequently etc. If none of those things help, then start looking at changing stems or bike fit in general.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Final post from me on a quite prolific run this afternoon.

Had a lovely ride to Guildford on Sunday. Just under 50 miles for my longest ride in quite some time. Pretty happy with my time, 2 hours 52 minutes with a couple of breaks included in that time. No speedo, no heart rate, no cadence, no strava just the feel of my legs and a few club run carrots to chase. Will be looking to get out again on Thursday morning before another afternoon of classic Giro action.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION], since converting from MTB to road, I lost the pins and needles. Try moving around on the bars more? That's all I can suggest.

@EK, you've got the motor already to get up the Beacon.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION], since converting from MTB to road, I lost the pins and needles. Try moving around on the bars more? That's all I can suggest.

@EK, you've got the motor already to get up the Beacon.

I've cycled up there once before, on an old mountain bike, and it was an ordeal, I can tell you :lolol:

I shall, however, tame the beast of the Beacon before summer is out. Fact.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION], here's the little lady, I mentioned earlier, that's been taking my eye, recently:-
529003-axialwlsgtcslaquaflashred.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here