[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It was a bit icy early on, Boxing Day.

He was heading to Whiteways having gone up Arundel Hill from the south.
From the top there's a few hundred yards descent before the roundabout, that's where he slide out.

I'd imagine he was going nearer 30 than 20 mph.
Apparently there was loads of cars about, he considers himself lucky to not go under some wheels.

(He's had a few tumbly-wumblies in the past, clearly nothing like this though)

Poor fella. Here's to a swift recovery.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Poor fella. Here's to a swift recovery.
He'll also have to endure the odd visit from me.

Sympathy and Stat don't go hand in hand, it's gonna get worse before it gets better!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I suppose you've got to be cruel to be kind :)
You're being rather generous.

I think I'm just viewed as being cruel. :lol:

It's only when I say 'oh gosh no, I didn't mean that, what I mean't was ...', does my reputation change from cruel to idiot. :facepalm:

Mar 12, 2008
Bloody hell - what happened? It's not icy out there, but the wind and rain have obviously been awful.

I'm doing an easy 50 tomorrow - Littlehampton and back, hills can wait, but that is a cautionary tale.

Good effort, forecast is decent. Got out for 40 miles today, my first Strava entry since 12th November! I'm shattered.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If anyone needs some motivation for winter riding, here it is:

http://puncheur.co.uk/

65 miles, starting in Ditchling and finishing on top of the Beacon. Bold did it last year so hopefully he'll be game again. Thought it would interest Pogue and Hamilton too.

Hamilton and I did it with Bold. It was bloody freezing, horribly windy and finished with a climb up the Beacon, shortly after 10 miles straight into this icy wind.

*Shudder*

I'll probably do it again though.

Did you sign up for l'etape in the end?

Mar 12, 2008
Hamilton and I did it with Bold. It was bloody freezing, horribly windy and finished with a climb up the Beacon, shortly after 10 miles straight into this icy wind.

*Shudder*

I'll probably do it again though.

Did you sign up for l'etape in the end?

Oh right! You describe it well, I remember hanging onto Bolds wheel until the start of the Beacon.

I didn't unfortunately. Are you in?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's certainly been warm enough to ride this holiday but just so wet and windy. Not having the luxury of a winter hack, I hate going out in the rain. I last went out just over a week ago and been itching to get out since, both on my own and with the kids, but constantly frustrated over this holiday.

I did treat myself to an asssaver mudguard though so at least when that comes I hopefully won't get such a wet arse this winter.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's certainly been warm enough to ride this holiday but just so wet and windy. Not having the luxury of a winter hack, I hate going out in the rain. I last went out just over a week ago and been itching to get out since, both on my own and with the kids, but constantly frustrated over this holiday.

I did treat myself to an asssaver mudguard though so at least when that comes I hopefully won't get such a wet arse this winter.

It's the wind that's dissuaded me rather than the rain.

I cycled into town from Ovingdean on Boxing Day evening, then returned home in the early hours. When I set out it was quite calm. When I returned it was insane, I was fighting to stay upright, struggling to keep in a straight line and at times, struggling to turn the pedals over.

I was, frankly, quite scared. There was no traffic to speak of, which was a bonus.

Also, I got a Turbo Trainer for Christmas.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sorry to hear about your mate Stat.

I'm planning a couple of hours starting before sun up tomorrow. Never seem to get much luck when I'm on leave. First outing in the new jersey and a chance to see what the gps tells me about the synae. If calm, I'm coming down the longest smoothest descent in the region.

Weighed myself for the first time in ages before crimbo. Am at least a stone over my L2B weight. Certainly explains the dropping off in times. Ah well a couple of more naughty days before I sort myself out again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry to hear about your mate Stat.

I'm planning a couple of hours starting before sun up tomorrow. Never seem to get much luck when I'm on leave. First outing in the new jersey and a chance to see what the gps tells me about the synae. If calm, I'm coming down the longest smoothest descent in the region.

Weighed myself for the first time in ages before crimbo. Am at least a stone over my L2B weight. Certainly explains the dropping off in times. Ah well a couple of more naughty days before I sort myself out again.
Don't forget to brow sprint :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat, that is another breathe-through-your-nose type suggestion isn't it?
Hey you wanted to get up hills quicker.
Assuming you do all the hill climbing 1.1 stuff, brow sprints it is, young fella me lad.

When you don't like the answer (and you won't) just remember you asked the question!!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've earmarked a tiny little rise close to home as a brow sprint trial. Will normally be on the way back, so some test for tired legs and lungs.

First thing I saw this morning was what I thought was a snow covered car. Its just frost.

#Rule 9

:smile:

Care will be taken though.

Mar 12, 2008
Yes. Major training and weight loss to come. The shadow of Le Tourmalet looms large...

Fantastic. If you need a partner for shuttles on the Beacon then let me know :D

Although the Bostal in reverse is probably a better reflection of the gradients you'll face.

I guess you had a nice tailwind coming back from LA today.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Fantastic. If you need a partner for shuttles on the Beacon then let me know :D

Although the Bostal in reverse is probably a better reflection of the gradients you'll face.

I guess you had a nice tailwind coming back from LA today.

Yeah, it's all about Tich Hill repeats (reverse Bostal).

I may or may not have pulled out of the cycle today...I appear to have left my cycle shoes at work, and I am not cycling 50 miles in trainers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports