Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you really hate yourself, your legs and lungs, start brow sprints.

Get yourself up the climb to about 200 yards from the top.
Then sprint your gonads off, across the top of the climb and carry on for the same distance down the other side.

Assuming you don't die it won't be long before the rest of the climb will seem so much easier.

I've tried brow sprints a few times and felt like I was going to die! I tend to take most climbs on out of the saddle wherever possible anyway (mainly because on a 53/39 standard front it's hard to spin it all the way up) and sometimes I like to try to power over the top just to get it over with, but always find myself sitting right up the minute it flattens out. This is despite always trying to bring myself to continue on at pace for a few hundred yards afterwards.

Went up Battery Hill today near the end of a 30 mile ride and no way was I up to anything more than just getting myself up it! Felt proud of myself as I included Brede Hill in the ride too, but then I just went and watched that film you posted and just thought........oh :blush:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Make a cuppa, put your feet up, and watch this nice little film:-

I was hoping for a really happy outcome from this film, along the lines of.........Boris has an epiphany going up Mont Ventoux on a bike and as a result decides to give up politricks for good.

Alas, no such luck. Instead I got something quite different, but equally as pleasing. Chapeau to the bloke riding :bowdown: Very nicely put together film too, keeping you in suspense right until the end.

I think it deserves to be moved to the top of the next page from the 'graveyard' slot.
It is a good little film.

Sadly I wasn't left thinking, 'I'll donate' or 'do a charity event'.

No my take away was:-

'why don't I ever have really cool ideas like that' :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what post dog walk MASSIVE cake, do you want a photo of today? :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it wrong that I like these!?
Nope, not at all, but for me they look a bit too generic, putting it as politely as I can.

As said further back, I wonder how they came about.
To me it looks like the manufactures thought:-
'cycling is massive in England, so is football. Run off 20 jerseys per club, based on the kit. Stick'em in the back of the car, and we'll drive round each club. Knock'em out at a price they can't refuse, then clean up on the follow up orders'.

They don't look 'designed' to me. (I doubt that makes any sense at all)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]413965894570606593[/tweet]

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nope, not at all, but for me they look a bit too generic, putting it as politely as I can.

As said further back, I wonder how they came about.
To me it looks like the manufactures thought:-
'cycling is massive in England, so is football. Run off 20 jerseys per club, based on the kit. Stick'em in the back of the car, and we'll drive round each club. Knock'em out at a price they can't refuse, then clean up on the follow up orders'.

They don't look 'designed' to me. (I doubt that makes any sense at all)

Yeah, but what do you really expect a football club to sign off when deciding to sell some cycling jerseys? Seems obvious to me, go for the closest jersey replica to see how it goes. That's more likely to sell than something far from a replica isn't it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, but what do you really expect a football club to sign off when deciding to sell some cycling jerseys? Seems obvious to me, go for the closest jersey replica to see how it goes. That's more likely to sell than something far from a replica isn't it?
Definitely.
I can't spend 2 and a half years moaning that golf is the only other sport represented in the club shop, then moan that the cycling jerseys are meh.

Chances are they have more about them when properly looked at.
I felt very underwhelmed by the new kit, but it improved considerably when I finally got in the shop and saw it.
The jersey's may well be the same, sell like hot cakes, and all will be good.

But in the meantime I'm viewing them as an opportunity missed, because they seem to be missing any (insert onomatopoeic adjective here) ooomph, va-va-voom, phwooorrrr, ding-dong, whoosshhh.
For 50 quid you're gonna want some ding & dong!!

I reckon in about 5 more attempts I'll be able to explain my Albion cycling jersey apathy coherently enough for others to understand. :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Surely the half yellow half blue & white striper like the ad posters would be a winner?

:eek: :sick:

I really dislike the cycling jersey. I've been in the shop and seen it, and it just seems a bit tacky.

We have a great football kit, but it doesn't work on a bike.

I also believe that when I am cycling I don't want to be defined by my football team, so if I were to wear an Albion related jersey it would have to be more subtle, more inherently cool.

Stat's side stripe design with a smaller Albion logo would be a winner for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have a great football kit, but it doesn't work on a bike.

I also believe that when I am cycling I don't want to be defined by my football team, so if I were to wear an Albion related jersey it would have to be more subtle, more inherently cool.
I've been thinking about the last bit of nonsense I wrote, and it turns out I didn't have to, as that'll do nicely.

The best I could come up with is:-
'I'd want the jersey to be different from the shirt, but not look out of place in the shop'.
I don't have the ability to use words like, subtle and inherently cool, because I'm not :lol:

Stat's side stripe design with a smaller Albion logo would be a winner for me.
There are some nice touches on the jersey, writing on the collar and/or side panels is where the 'message' could be more suited, Ride or Fall' 'BHAFC est 1901', stuff like that.
I think the pockets look appalling.

I just dropped the first logo on google images into the design.
I think that aspect looks better on Moto's white kit, so I assume with the white background properly cropped out the logo can be made to look very nice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So who went up the club shop for a proper look at that jersey then?
I wanted too but certainly wasn't going to fook about in that weather, so we divided straight into the East, at the first opportunity.

I expect I'll have a look New Years Day, if there's any left :jester:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So who went up the club shop for a proper look at that jersey then?

Gulity. Purely out of curiosity.

Even if I had £50 to spend on a cycling jersey, that wouldn't be the jersey I'd spend it on I'm afraid.

Wonder if they've sold any yet?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Careful out there geeks.

My first protege ( I think, I can't quite remember if he was cycling or not before coming out with me) anyhoo he had a big off on Boxing Day.
Fractured wrist, broken arm, glasses smashed into face, and banged up all down his left side.

2 nights in hospital and a long time off work.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Careful out there geeks.

My first protege ( I think, I can't quite remember if he was cycling or not before coming out with me) anyhoo he had a big off on Boxing Day.
Fractured wrist, broken arm, glasses smashed into face, and banged up all down his left side.

2 nights in hospital and a long time off work.

Bloody hell - what happened? It's not icy out there, but the wind and rain have obviously been awful.

I'm doing an easy 50 tomorrow - Littlehampton and back, hills can wait, but that is a cautionary tale.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bloody hell - what happened? It's not icy out there, but the wind and rain have obviously been awful.

I'm doing an easy 50 tomorrow - Littlehampton and back, hills can wait, but that is a cautionary tale.
It was a bit icy early on, Boxing Day.

He was heading to Whiteways having gone up Arundel Hill from the south.
From the top there's a few hundred yards descent before the roundabout, that's where he slide out.

I'd imagine he was going nearer 30 than 20 mph.
Apparently there was loads of cars about, he considers himself lucky to not go under some wheels.

(He's had a few tumbly-wumblies in the past, clearly nothing like this though)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here