Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Probably the first Trek, I have ever liked.
1336751932139-z9dpp3uyfe2c-670-75.jpg

But that's not surprising as it is Jens'
1336751932139-1x2kj7z9ssmtx-670-75.jpg

I don't know about that, I've always preferred a brighter coloured bike. I've liked quite a few Treks over the last five years, they have improved a great deal since they stopped making virtually every bike in US Postal livery, to Lance's specifications. Then my opinion may be discounted as I absolutely love this from 2008:

IMG_9183.JPG

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
One more thing before I go to work. I love the Giro, that was a medium mountains stage, apparently, yet the field was torn apart. It was not just sprinters going out the back after all. It was like a proper one day classic, really, really tough climbs, not like the stages that the Tour has, that are billed this way.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
In London today, and cricket tommorow so highlights for me.

Bad news, Im working away in Scotland at the end of June so our planned trip to the start of the TDF is out.

Good news, we have bagged two Olympic veledrome tickets for Womens team pursuit, absolutley made up, bring on the Gold of Trott, Rowsell and King...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My full suspension mountain bike is doing my head in on my work commute. I know it's sacrilege to you SB, but I will be going hybrid/road and not full road as then I can use it for the work commute and still go along the seafront and such like with the kids too, as well as some longer rides with the eldest.
Oh no.
Riding a full sus mountain bike on your commute, is sacrilege.
It should always be about riding the right bike for the right environment.
Thereby getting the maximum from it, you and cycling.

Sirrus away my friend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't know about that, I've always preferred a brighter coloured bike. I've liked quite a few Treks over the last five years, they have improved a great deal since they stopped making virtually every bike in US Postal livery, to Lance's specifications.
I hadn't really taken the colour/lack of into account, although I am the opposite to you (even if my 'hack' says otherwise), I do prefer less to more.
I actually think Trek's have always been let down by the design shape and mouldings, if that's the right thing to say.
They seem to have always been 3-4 years behind on their designs, and very conservative, too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a real shame that in the fantasy event you actually have to score points.
I think I've managed a really good team, through to this weekend, and I'll have 4 transfers for when it flattens back out.
The only downer is these fellas couldn't score in a Palace shirt :down: 20 & 16 :facepalm:

Ryder and Roman.
Nieve, Visconti, Zaugg, Carrara, Pauwels, Boara & Santambrogio.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The break now down to 4 mins with 30k to go. Looks like they'll probably be caught, seeing as the peleton has organised better than yesterday, with Lampre, Katusha & Garmin driving it for obvious reasons.

Pleased there's a Farnese rider in the break - means someone hasn't had to work ;)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh no.
Riding a full sus mountain bike on your commute, is sacrilege.
It should always be about riding the right bike for the right environment.
Thereby getting the maximum from it, you and cycling.

Sirrus away my friend.

I know punish: , but in my defence I bought it way back when I had a dog and no kids and me and my faithful friend used to hack around the woods trails. Now he's long since passed away I rarely go off road these days.

As a teenager I used to have a 12 speed Orbit. I was quite proud of the Reynolds 501 tubing and used to love riding up on the bars with a set of these :

0620-170639.jpg

Why don't you see them anymore I wonder ?. I can't say I miss the gear levers all the way down where they were though :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What a win by Rubiano. He destroyed the field today (yesterday). Just watched the highlights, thinking no one will score much today, log on here and the seer that is 1066 has picked Rubiano. Gob smacked and a little proud that one of our community managed to pick a rider that very few even thought of, Chapeau!

Transfers today are difficult. You need mountain men, I think, as it is a hill top finish but I do not have enough transfers to bring enough of them in. I've gone for two that will start to reflect what I want by the end of the Giro.

Thanks Pantani, and everyone else for the congrats for yesterday. Without getting too melodramatic - I know what you mean about being proud when one of us does well in the game overall. I certainly like seeing you well up in that Top 10 overall of the South East league for instance. Here's hoping some of us on here can get a similar breakaway result on a stage of one of the Grand Tours.

I too would have liked more than 2 transfers for today. Gone for the stage win and one eye on final GC too for today as well.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
One more thing before I go to work. I love the Giro, that was a medium mountains stage, apparently, yet the field was torn apart. It was not just sprinters going out the back after all. It was like a proper one day classic, really, really tough climbs, not like the stages that the Tour has, that are billed this way.

Exactly how I felt yesterday...just like watching a classic. Superb stuff ! I can see why this is your favourite Tour. It's my first year following it really, but already I'm loving it !

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think G should be investigated for race fixing - he keeps predicting stage winners with alarming accuracy :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
5 9 14 & 18, plus overall.
Makes a pleasant change from the last couple of days.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
5 9 14 & 18, plus overall.
Makes a pleasant change from the last couple of days.

Better than the last couple of days for me too.

Leipheimer not weeks still sitting pretty at 12th overall in the whole competition. Maybe we should make it a bit of a team effort to get him into the prizes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Better than the last couple of days for me too.

Leipheimer not weeks still sitting pretty at 12th overall in the whole competition. Maybe we should make it a bit of a team effort to get him into the prizes.
Hmmm an interesting concept.
Asking a bloke who can't pick his nose to help out the fella, who's turning cart horses into thoroughbreds.

This should be a great day with NSC's very own, being in pink.
But I can't help thinking, it's all a bit early for a team on it's knees a couple of days ago.
Fingers crossed Garmin know more about cycling than me :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Hmmm an interesting concept.
Asking a bloke who can't pick his nose to help out the fella, who's turning cart horses into thoroughbreds.

This should be a great day with NSC's very own, being in pink.
But I can't help thinking, it's all a bit early for a team on it's knees a couple of days ago.
Fingers crossed Garmin know more about cycling than me :lol:

True. Somewhat presumptuous of someone who is 150 odd points down to start offering advice!

Today's stage did give some good insights into who will be in the mix overall. Although he wasn't right up there today, I'm sticking with Rodriguez for now and I think i need to get nieve in somehow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
J-Rod was always coming into my team on the 3rd week.
Possibly along with Gadret.
Nieve's already there, it wouldn't be an uphill stage with a Basque boy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Only 4th & 5th for today, but being stuck with two sprinters still, I'm quite happy to settle for 70 odd points on the stage. (Especially as someone I had high hopes for today wasn't even in the front group :glare:)

Funny that Sam should mention a team competition. I was thinking the same sort of thing, something along the lines of different Leagues competing against each other as teams. Perhaps some sort of system where you have a pool of transfers or rider swaps so doms could help out their lead riders. They could do it as they do now - season long comp, plus individual race comps. So for instance, as I've got lucky so far in this Giro I'd perhaps be going for this as like a stage win at the moment, although just like the real thing that could change at any moment, but with Pantani so far being our GC rider in terms of overall. So when others do well on other stage races we'd all throw our weight behind them, whilst still protecting our GC. One day classics being every man for himself and going for the stage win :cool:

Some sort of system like this may be worth putting to them you know for the future. No doubt a logistical nightmare and may even be impossible, but would certainly feel like having a real cycling team (you could even pick a team for each race in leagues where there's more than 9 members).

Team NSC anyone ?
Now who's going to design the jerseys?
And what bikes are we all on ?
And how about nominations for our Directeur Sportif ? - I'll put forward Johann Museeuw ( but that's mainly because with my user name, I'm bound to get picked for the team on a regular basis :) )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here