[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
IIRC, a lot of '90s MTBs used that method, to keep all the mud from fouling the gear changing...Guess it must be ok!
Thanks. Yes, digging deeper on searches seems to lead to middle distance pointing forums.

I quite like that routing route. Seems very logical to me. I have my eyes on a frame that has everything set up for that route, which I found odd as never seen it before.

P.S. Have you any experience with a SRAM NX Eagle groupset?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Thanks. Yes, digging deeper on searches seems to lead to middle distance pointing forums.

I quite like that routing route. Seems very logical to me. I have my eyes on a frame that has everything set up for that route, which I found odd as never seen it before.

P.S. Have you any experience with a SRAM NX Eagle groupset?
No, sorry mate - never used SRAM systems at all!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looks pretty certain now that I'm going to have to give up drop handlebars for good due to back related health reasons (don't ask, it's a very long, nearly 3 year, story). That story probably belongs on the mental health thread if truth be told.

The upshot is I intend to hit this with a positive approach and build my compromise hybrid dream bike with a very upright position that isn't going to be a knobbly tyre monstrosity, or a gravel bike marketers dream. It will have rim brakes, likely 28 or 30mm hybrid type tyres and, this is where I'll embrace new trends, a 1x groupset.

The problem with the drivetrain seems to be this. I need trigger shifters as will be going flat bar with an almost cruiser type position. This means looking at SRAM Eagle MTB drivetrains, but it seems the front ring is only available up to a 36 tooth. Coupled with 50/10 on the rear, this is far too climby and no where near enough grunt on the flat and downhills (I will still be riding mainly on roads and the occasional cycle path). My ideal is probably a 42 on the front, but that only seems available on road groupsets.

So my question is :

Has anyone tried using trigger shifters with a road drivetrain before?
If so, did it work?

Alternative build suggestions welcome, although I'm reluctant to go to fishing tackle and a front derailleur.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I'm signed up to the Medips Classic tomorrow but it's looking a bit windy. Not as bad as the Souh East but gusting low 40s.
Should I man up or give it a miss?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm signed up to the Medips Classic tomorrow but it's looking a bit windy. Not as bad as the Souh East but gusting low 40s.
Should I man up or give it a miss?
What could possibly go wrong. :lolol:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Went to Goodwood Festival of Speed on Friday.

Saw these. Want one. Dont mind which :cool:

Cooler_Kub_Grey__30778.jpg
The-Current-News-Nov.-26-2019Cooler-King-750.jpg

Last edited:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Looks pretty certain now that I'm going to have to give up drop handlebars for good due to back related health reasons (don't ask, it's a very long, nearly 3 year, story). That story probably belongs on the mental health thread if truth be told.

The upshot is I intend to hit this with a positive approach and build my compromise hybrid dream bike with a very upright position that isn't going to be a knobbly tyre monstrosity, or a gravel bike marketers dream. It will have rim brakes, likely 28 or 30mm hybrid type tyres and, this is where I'll embrace new trends, a 1x groupset.

The problem with the drivetrain seems to be this. I need trigger shifters as will be going flat bar with an almost cruiser type position. This means looking at SRAM Eagle MTB drivetrains, but it seems the front ring is only available up to a 36 tooth. Coupled with 50/10 on the rear, this is far too climby and no where near enough grunt on the flat and downhills (I will still be riding mainly on roads and the occasional cycle path). My ideal is probably a 42 on the front, but that only seems available on road groupsets.

So my question is :

Has anyone tried using trigger shifters with a road drivetrain before?
If so, did it work?

Alternative build suggestions welcome, although I'm reluctant to go to fishing tackle and a front derailleur.
Have you considered a hub gear? A mate has a Genesis MTB with a single chainring and hub gear (11 speed I think). Maybe this one:

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Have you considered a hub gear? A mate has a Genesis MTB with a single chainring and hub gear (11 speed I think). Maybe this one:

Thanks. Yes, hub gear bikes, some with belt drives no less!, have come up on my bike search during research.

Certainly another option to consider for any future bike build :thumbsup:

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Did anyone else watch the World Championship Track Cycling today? ..
It includes Paracycling - the Japanese one legged pursuit guy overhauling the British rider ? ... That surprised me!.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Brian Smith, when co commentating on Tour of Wallonie recently, said the World's Road Race parcour is dangerous. Especially so if it's rains.

I've since seen a preview of it, and the previewer agrees. There are over forty 90 degree turns on the circuit lap, which is repeated thirteen times! :eek:

It could be carnage! Seems to suit MVDP down to the ground.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Good friend of mine is Charlie Tanfield so very annoyed with him / upset for him for his crash in the pursuit. Some of my projects female Cyclists broke the world record and came second in the final...a brilliant ride with more power to come in Paris...

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Brian Smith, when co commentating on Tour of Wallonie recently, said the World's Road Race parcour is dangerous. Especially so if it's rains.

I've since seen a preview of it, and the previewer agrees. There are over forty 90 degree turns on the circuit lap, which is repeated thirteen times! :eek:

It could be carnage! Seems to suit MVDP down to the ground.
Someone I know is on holiday up there atm, and says that theres been a lot of resurfacing work going on too - if its wet that'll add a ton more sketchiness to the course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports