Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great, thank you. Always happy to hear about a cost-free solution! I'll give them a clean and grease and let you know how it goes.
Yeah just to echo 1066.
It's almost impossible to localise clicks, hose it, sponge it, wipe it down then grease every last bit of it.

If it looks like a bar of soap and is still clicking then head to the BB!!!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah just to echo 1066.
It's almost impossible to localise clicks, hose it, sponge it, wipe it down then grease every last bit of it.

If it looks like a bar of soap and is still clicking then head to the BB!!!!
Agreed.

What I forgot to say the first time around was, if it isn't dry drop outs then the next course of action is to whip the pedals off (remembering the weird righty tighty, loosey leftie rules for pedals) and clean and regrease the axels.

BB is always the last resort as, unless in possession of the correct removal tool and torque wrench, it's always a job for the bike shop unfortunately.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Thought I was finished with my projects for the year, but...

Jnr loved the Rockhopper BMX/Cruiser conversion - so I bought him an old Barracuda MTB with a curved cruiser style frame for £20. Swapped out the bars & stem from my 'hopper, and put on some old slick tyres I had in the shed. Converted it to single speed exactly as I did before - so hes happy, and now has his own Ratbike for using on the Undercliff this summer.

20230606_134855-02_resized.jpeg

However...that meant I needed to finish off the 'hopper again, so went full cruiser style this time.
Motorcycle handlebars, matching silver seat post & stem, and a sofa-like sprung saddle. See you on the beachfront dudes! :cool:

20230612_133343-02_resized.jpeg
20230612_132057-03_resized.jpeg

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Agreed.

What I forgot to say the first time around was, if it isn't dry drop outs then the next course of action is to whip the pedals off (remembering the weird righty tighty, loosey leftie rules for pedals) and clean and regrease the axels.

BB is always the last resort as, unless in possession of the correct removal tool and torque wrench, it's always a job for the bike shop unfortunately.
Cleaned the bike and cleaned and greased the drop outs, removed and cleaned the pedals, greased and put back on, still a bit of a click. Will take it out for an hour tonight hopefully to test it some more to be sure the click is still there, but have it booked in for the bike shop on Thursday just in case (needs new brake pads fitting anyway, and whilst I'd normally have a go, I'm heading off to the IOW on Friday for a few rides so can't afford my normal bodge job / three attempts at getting bike maintenance right this time around).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do we have any mechanically minded people on here? I've been struggling with a clicking noise on my road bike for the last month or two. Took it to a bike shop that said the problem was with the rear wheel / read hub. Replaced both wheels and the clicking is still there. It's only when I put a decent amount of load down, and only when I push down on the left crank.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it worth changing the bottom bracket in case that's the issue? The bike is 10 years old, had chainset, cassette and chain replaced in teh last 3 months or so. Bottom bracket has never been replaced.
I hear @1066familyman but after 10 years it may well be the BB. It was in my case anyway, and I could tell once out loads of winter crap and moisture had taken it’s toll. I ordered it online and fitted it myself, it’s pretty simple as long as you have the right tool and are patient with any resistance.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Decided to ride the Cinelli to work today, with a view to getting in an easy ride to Seaford and back at lunchtime.
Almost had a full on panic attack though as I got it out the shed, as my confidence on the roads has been knocked for six with all the traffic and animosity towards riders over the last year.
Thankfully its not a busy route though, and I can use the bike path from Newhaven to Seaford, but its a horrible feeling being scared to go out on my road bike after so many years of not really being bothered.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Just caught up on all the highlights of the Tour de Suisse so far. Gorgeous panoramas, stunning little towns, and the best tarmac ever...not a pothole in sight!

Queen stage today for anyone whos interested 👍
The camerawork on the final downhill was excellent - almost made me travel sick🙄.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Shocked to hear the news of Gino Maders death after a crash on Stage 5 in Switzerland.

Just terrible news...such a talented young rider 😢

Crikey, RIP young man.

It's incredible how such events are so rare on these descents, a few cm's of brake friction keeping these riders on the road.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Agreed.

Thanks again for your and Stat's advice - you were spot on, three rides over the weekend and not a single click and not a penny spent fixing it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks again for your and Stat's advice - you were spot on, three rides over the weekend and not a single click and not a penny spent fixing it.
Marvellous scenes!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Question:

Has anyone ever seen a rear derailleur cable routed along the top tube and down the seat stay, rather than the usual route down the down tube under the button bracket and along the chain stay?

This is an internal routing question, which btw, is all new to me.

Edit: I should add that technically the seat stay route surely gives a more direct route and less cable bend, which is surely a good thing, but does it work?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last time I got on a bike I was 16 , might try again . Lots of cycle lanes around Brighton.
I'm going to assume there's a whooosh in there somewhere, but will plough on regardless.

I suggest you do it properly or not at all.

I once had a, too long, conversation with a cycling hating colleague.
I must have been distracted as I didn't ask the obvious question till we were a long way in.

It turns out my colleagues hatred of cycling stemmed from the fact he was riding a dual suspension chunky tyred mountain bike that cost him £70 from Argos.

I'd fracking hate cycling too if I was lumped with that piece of shite.

You don't have to spend a fortune but you'll use a bike more if it fits you're needs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here