Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good luck with the application [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]. Would a non e version be cooler though?

A non hipster version would be better still.

I genuinely have no idea why this bike has been under my skin for nearly a year.
Everything about goes against what I think to be perfection in bike esthetics, but here I am again, wanting to change jobs as a justification to buy one!

"Yeah it certainly would be nice to get back to a cycle commute.
Oh oh I could buy a Van Moof" :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good luck with the job application Stat :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shit just got real

[tweet]1346472177365782534[/tweet]

I've not seen this Brexit thing mentioned before, is there someone I can complain too?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hang in there with me, on this, my friends.

Jnr is a fancy-dan, Groß Turn, clean shorts, centre-back.
He's also his side's quiet and subdued captain.
Which is ok as his team have finally clicked and actually look as good as they've occasionally promised for 5 long, long, years :lol:

Here's the thing.

His mother has got him a place at the assessment on AITC's 2 year 'diploma in Sport' course.

So in a couple of weeks time my show pony son could potentially have his participation in the course of his dreams assessed by:-

Danny Cullip
&
Guy Butters.

They're gonna just chew him up and spit him out, aren't they? :lolol: :lolol:

Should I just tell him now that perhaps he didn't really like football, anyway? :lol:
Finally some good news in Chez Stat.

On the understanding of getting the required passing GCSE grades, Jnr has earned a place on the AitC diploma in Sport course.
You should see his little face!

2 flipping years playing football 'for the Albion' while getting a qualification at the end!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Im just going to leave this here...quite possibly the greatest gravel / adventure biking website...EVER.

https://bikepacking.com/

Stat wont be interested in this hipster stuff Im sure, but Im sure everyone else will enjoy it over a coffee & cake. :wink:

Beautiful photography from all over the world, amazing ride articles, and some great bike / product reviews (even if it is mostly US based stuff)

Stunning.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
**sigh**

A rare window in the shite weather presented itself this morning. Up early and prepped to find a flat rear.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Ok chaps an old itch has popped up.

Over the break I applied for a new job.

I believe they'll roll out the red carpet for me (they won't)
I'll ace the interview (I won't)
The job is mine (it's not)

With my not new job just 6 weeks away (1 week for the closing date, 1 week for the interview date, 4 weeks notice) naturally my thoughts have now turned to the (5 mile) commute.

Sure I could use one of my 3 other bikes, but it would be the ideal opportunity to buy my love/hate bike:-

View attachment 132021

I have absolute no idea why I can't shake the Van Moof S3 from my bike brain.

something-something-darkside.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Right, lesson learned I suppose.

I got a few more 'rolls' out of a repaired tube, but the leak was right next to the patch so fatal. On a scratch caused by levers. I have a repaired back on but that was a proper puncture, not self inflicted.

Bringing the necessary indoors for an hour made the tyre oning and offing so much easier. Everything was otherwise painfully cold.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Right, lesson learned I suppose.

I got a few more 'rolls' out of a repaired tube, but the leak was right next to the patch so fatal. On a scratch caused by levers. I have a repaired back on but that was a proper puncture, not self inflicted.

Bringing the necessary indoors for an hour made the tyre oning and offing so much easier. Everything was otherwise painfully cold.

You’d be better getting a bike to roll on and leave your other bike for riding on. It’ll be a lot cheaper. I was gonna put a smiley emoji but I feel your pain so decided not to.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
You’d be better getting a bike to roll on and leave your other bike for riding on. It’ll be a lot cheaper. I was gonna put a smiley emoji but I feel your pain so decided not to.

I'm glad it gave way overnight. It could have done so at the farthest point from home this morning.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
For riders of a certain vintage, this may be of interest. It was gifted to me by a mate at work this morning as he couldn't get on with it. I used to have one on my bike in my teenage years & loved it. The coolest saddle ever IMO...if saddles can be cool...& used by the best in the world in the 80's.
Always wanted another one, but as they now retail for around the £100 mark, I've never bothered. Looking forward to getting it on the bike and trying it out :cool:

20210118_092252_resized.jpg IMG_20210118_110033_614_resized (002).jpg

795d86b5d3a6c0d6bbc4fd5ea4f4f6d5.jpg

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Maybe I'm trying to relight the fire? After a combo of reasons to do nothing, I need to get back on it.

Having a look at gravel bikes and I see that Cannondale are keeping the Lefty going. Sorting a flat with the wheel still on is seems pretty appealing. If they can convert that to back end, I'd be tempted.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Maybe I'm trying to relight the fire? After a combo of reasons to do nothing, I need to get back on it.

Having a look at gravel bikes and I see that Cannondale are keeping the Lefty going. Sorting a flat with the wheel still on is seems pretty appealing. If they can convert that to back end, I'd be tempted.

Currently riding mine set up to ride on the roads. Go for it.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
"Hey, Stijn...we have a job for you this weekend if you want it?"

"Yeah, sure... what is it?"

"Nice and easy - just go and photograph the Cyclocross World Championships for us"

"OK, no problem....should be fun"
2021-cyclocross-world-championships-oostende-152508.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Decided to give GCN+ a go last night, as it looks like a lot of the road race season will be shown on their digital platform this year, in collaboration with Eurosport. Anyone else subscribed?

I've always been happy with the amount of cycling that Eurosport show on the TV - but since Discovery took over a couple of years ago I dont think the coverage of smaller races is anywhere near as extensive. Their website has gone downhill where it concerns race reports / live updates etc as well. The GP de Marseillaise hasn't even garnered a race report on there, even though it was the first "big" race of the season. Not so much "The Home of Cycling" now - except for the 3 Grand Tours & the Classics!

For February the cost of GCN+ is 50% off at £20 p/a (which was worth a punt), then it goes back up to £40 p/a. All the major races live, as well as smaller stage / one day races - plus all the cyclocross & new documentaries etc. Looks to be well worth the money - and also means I can watch live racing while at work, and the missus wont have to sit through highlights in the evenings!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Shamelessly nicked from Cycling Weekly:

"Things only cyclists in the '80s would remember"

1. Checking your post-ride stats meant looking at the mechanical odometer down by your front fork drop-out. Or by how much your legs hurt.

2. It was totally okay to wear a shiny cycle jersey that included every colour and pattern known to the human race, and some that weren’t.

3. Carbon was the stuff Han Solo was frozen in, not what your frame was made of.

4. You knew exactly what people meant when they said “I were right about that saddle though”.

5. Your posh mate had a Merckx bike, but most people couldn’t pronounce it.

6. Clip-on aero bars were the height of aerodynamic technology.

7. You spent a while deciding whether to make the switch from clips and straps to new-fangled clipless pedals.

8. Your sports nutrition consisted of jelly babies and jam sandwiches (white bread, naturally).

9. Your helmet – if you owned one – had a cloth cover.

10. Brake levers were for brakes, not changing gear.

11. Cycling/Cycling Weekly magazine was the only way you could find out who won what and where.

12. £20 was an insane amount to spend on any item of cycle clothing.

13. You never heard of any positive drug tests. No one took drugs, obviously.

14. A mobile phone consisted of a 10p piece and a wildly optimistic hope that there was a phone box within five miles.

15. Aluminium bikes were for show offs.

16. Specialized, Trek and Cannondale were ‘mountain bike manufacturers’.

17. Milk and Kelloggs were bike races, not just what you had for breakfast.

18. Greg LeMond was the only American to have won the Tour de France. Some things don’t change…

All very true!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've had a look at the women's CX WC this morning. What an evil course in those conditions. They are all 'bad arse' racers.

Thanks to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] pointing me towards a pump article, I ended up deciding that I wanted one with a hose. It looks ungainly and has not been mounted yet but I got a Lezyne HP Micro Floor Drive Pump. As I'm running 28s, the claimed 90psi is fine. I tested it this morning and got really close so it will exceed former 'get home' pressure.

I sneaked out for few real miles this morning. Felt good.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Decided to give GCN+ a go last night, as it looks like a lot of the road race season will be shown on their digital platform this year, in collaboration with Eurosport. Anyone else subscribed?

I've always been happy with the amount of cycling that Eurosport show on the TV - but since Discovery took over a couple of years ago I dont think the coverage of smaller races is anywhere near as extensive. Their website has gone downhill where it concerns race reports / live updates etc as well. The GP de Marseillaise hasn't even garnered a race report on there, even though it was the first "big" race of the season. Not so much "The Home of Cycling" now - except for the 3 Grand Tours & the Classics!

For February the cost of GCN+ is 50% off at £20 p/a (which was worth a punt), then it goes back up to £40 p/a. All the major races live, as well as smaller stage / one day races - plus all the cyclocross & new documentaries etc. Looks to be well worth the money - and also means I can watch live racing while at work, and the missus wont have to sit through highlights in the evenings!

I've never ever had Eurosport as a TV channel, so can't comment. But I can assure you Eurosport Player covers nearly every single race. All on catch up as well as live, and most with an ad free option too.

I watched GP Marseille live and ad free. Great value for money all round.

The only downside that I can possibly find is that idiot Kirby.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I've never ever had Eurosport as a TV channel, so can't comment. But I can assure you Eurosport Player covers nearly every single race. All on catch up as well as live, and most with an ad free option too.

I watched GP Marseille live and ad free. Great value for money all round.

The only downside that I can possibly find is that idiot Kirby.

I was debating whether to go with ES Player or the GCN app - but, IIRC, the ES Player came out at a bit more £ per year? I think ES & GCN have basically joined forces for all the smaller races this year - so I could've gone with either tbh, but was also swayed by the content coming up on GCN re: documentaries etc. Either way, I've got live cycling available at the touch of the button now instead of having to record highlights as & when. Not sure if Kirby will be on GCN commentating, but the T-dl-Provence the last few days has just been Dan Lloyd and Matt Stephens.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I've had a look at the women's CX WC this morning. What an evil course in those conditions. They are all 'bad arse' racers.

With Ceylin del Carmen Alvarado being the most "bad ass" racer of them all....:love::love:
If it was the Krawatencross race in the snow you watched - that was truly brutal. Chapeau to everyone who rode it...I would've stayed in the camper van drinking a few bottles of Belgian beer.

I've watched a ton of CX this winter (you can find most of it on YouTube) & they are superhuman. Some of the really tough muddy races make you feel tired, cold, and wet just watching them!
I do prefer watching the women's CX racing though (& not just for Ms. Alvarado!) as there are more contenders that could win each week - the mens racing gets a bit boring when MVDP starts his CX season as hes on a totally different level to everyone else...although it was good to see Tom Pidcock challenging at the pointy end this season.

Great fun to watch as an event though - would love to get over to Holland or Belgium one year for a couple of races.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here