Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cycle lanes - good for the environment, congestion, health and the economy

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
KINGS ROAD (MAIN SEAFRONT) CYCLE LANE
The council are going to turn the southern lane of the two lanes (westbound) into a cycle lane as a 'temporary Covid 19 measure'. Starting from the Aquarium roundabout (soon to be lighted crossroads) all the way to King Alfred. I'm going to try and give the good and bad bits of this having got two businesses on that road. First up, pedestrian crossings. In a letter from the council, sentence three states that cyclists must obey the way of the road and stop at pedestrian lights. That will not happen and people will get mown down. Fact!. Easing of the busy footway. The path is busy and with cyclists going fast it is dangorous and so the cycle lane needs extending. There you go, I'm all for making the cycle path bigger. Traffic. The west bound lanes get busy. Can two lanes fit into one, probably not but will have to. Emergency services. Most of Kings Road has a central island and so cutting it down to one lane with heavy traffic most of the time means emergency vehicles (I see at least 4 an hour) wont get through. How will cars, vans and lorries move out of the way? West St. The junction with Kings Road & West St on the west bound side is already one lane. How do you cut one lane down to two?
DOWNLOAD THIS, VERY INTERESTING https://www.google.com/url?client=i...FjABegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw3JwnC_rKP4iPNq2q_1rB0Y

In cities that have embraced keeping the car out or to a minimum, have found business increases. As an example in Utrecht a proposal was out to lose 100 car parking spaces leading to a shopping area for a cycle lane and cycle parking or reduce by a couple of spaces and improve the highway - it was the businesses that overwhelmingly voted for the cycle option because it increases trade.

Maybe we’re just not ready for such blue sky thinking yet. Perhaps it is still attractive for the jewel in the city’s crown; the seafront, to have 4 lanes of cars on it constantly, to have polluting traffic crossing the clock tower crossroads with pavements barely fit for purpose for pedestrians.

They’ll come a light bulb moment when we do realise that ditching the car isn’t the end of the world, or the end of commercial enterprise. A bit like working from home suddenly has big businesses saying ‘hang on, our staff are still being really productive maybe even more so than at the office’. In challenging times for retail and tourism and commercial enterprise generally, embracing change may actually be the shot in the arm these things need.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In cities that have embraced keeping the car out or to a minimum, have found business increases. As an example in Utrecht a proposal was out to lose 100 car parking spaces leading to a shopping area for a cycle lane and cycle parking or reduce by a couple of spaces and improve the highway - it was the businesses that overwhelmingly voted for the cycle option because it increases trade.

Maybe we’re just not ready for such blue sky thinking yet. Perhaps it is still attractive for the jewel in the city’s crown; the seafront, to have 4 lanes of cars on it constantly, to have polluting traffic crossing the clock tower crossroads with pavements barely fit for purpose for pedestrians.

They’ll come a light bulb moment when we do realise that ditching the car isn’t the end of the world, or the end of commercial enterprise. A bit like working from home suddenly has big businesses saying ‘hang on, our staff are still being really productive maybe even more so than at the office’. In challenging times for retail and tourism and commercial enterprise generally, embracing change may actually be the shot in the arm these things need.
The desire to cling onto something that doesn't work because it's what's always happened is amazing.

I was of the opinion that cities (Brighton) should close off to traffic one Sunday a month.
With a view to doing it every Sunday in the summer, over time.

I always felt that would be the best way to help those that refuse to see the benefits slowly come to terms with change.

Have ordinance in place for outside trading, eating even allowing 'pop up' events.

But 2020 has changed all of that for me.
Already we seem to be rushing to get back to how it was with very little thought to how good it's been.

Kings Road has been crying out for this for years, if IF it's done properly the benefits for all far outweigh the problems spun by the refuseniks.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Kings Road has been crying out for this for years, if IF it's done properly the benefits for all far outweigh the problems spun by the refuseniks.

Closing Kings Road would be the best thing ever for my business. But then how would tourists get in to town? We desperately need a P&R. So plan D. Build a massive P&R somewhere, fill it with a constant stream of buses and then start to close the roads. But all the time Brighton depends on tourists and those tourists are willing to queue for a long time to get in to town, pay £30 to park and then take ages getting out again, closing roads just causes more trouble. And don't say train. That is also too expensive.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was of the opinion that cities (Brighton) should close off to traffic one Sunday a month.
With a view to doing it every Sunday in the summer, over time.

I always felt that would be the best way to help those that refuse to see the benefits slowly come to terms with change.

Judging by the amount of kvetching we get when Brighton is closed to traffic for one day (for the London Brighton bike ride), it will take an awfully long time to come to terms with that change.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Closing Kings Road would be the best thing ever for my business. But then how would tourists get in to town? We desperately need a P&R. So plan D. Build a massive P&R somewhere, fill it with a constant stream of buses and then start to close the roads. But all the time Brighton depends on tourists and those tourists are willing to queue for a long time to get in to town, pay £30 to park and then take ages getting out again, closing roads just causes more trouble. And don't say train. That is also too expensive.

I totally agree.

Hence the usual caveat of 'IF it's done properly'.

Anything like this has to be done properly with all road users catered for as an ongoing process.
My fear is this is 1 sign, a bit of paint, a few bollards and crack on.

Everybody is pee'd off with the end result being 'well that didn't work, open up the roads'.

Although I do wonder how many tourists are driving along the Kings Road.

Whenever I cycle on the road I like to 'race' a noticeable vehicle.
Basically seeing if I can get to Shoreham before them.
It's a game that always works and suggests to me an awful lot of that traffic is going straight through Brighton and not using it as a means to visit the city.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Judging by the amount of kvetching we get when Brighton is closed to traffic for one day (for the London Brighton bike ride), it will take an awfully long time to come to terms with that change.

It's so annoying as this 'utopia' isn't just within reach we've been swinging it around like a baton, that we're just about to drop.

In my vicinity, a month ago there were more bikes than cars, on the road.
That's no longer the case.

My local Halfords has 10 bikes where it usually has over a hundred.

The devotist of NSC's 'I want to kill all cyclists' now has a bike and is enjoying it.

Myself and my son were verbally abused on Friday for daring to ride on a shared pathway.

There are countless petition against new cycle lanes.

Local councils are removing them after a few days because 'that's not safe'.

All the toxicity (a word chosen with thought! ) is all coming back and it's shitehouse (less thought)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brighton seafront!!

[tweet]1284059916639109122[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brighton now

photo 1.jpg

Brighton 2021?

photo 2.png

D

Deleted member 22389

I know this is not really related, but something I noticed when we were in lock down was how much better the air quality was, and also how quiet it was.
Roads are back to normal now and I honestly can't stand it. I'm all for more cycling lanes now, if it meant a reduction in car usage. Honestly If my job didn't require me to drive, I would probably come off the road for six months.

Last edited by a moderator:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
If motorists want to cycle instead of drive, I am all for it. Means fewer cars for people like me who will stick to drive no matter what.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If motorists want to cycle instead of drive, I am all for it. Means fewer cars for people like me who will stick to drive no matter what.

That's the bit most motorists overlook.

The biggest lobby for a designated secure cycle network should be motorists, they are the ones that benefit most*.

* Assuming you take, financial, physical health and mental well-being out of the equation.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thanks, I signed the second one.

Love it that someone that isn't affected in the slightest signs a petition to keep one of the stupidest cycle lanes ever. The congestion around Olive Road has been horrendous. The council imposed this lane and now want to make it permanent with no due process or following the usual consultation that takes place. If it were a Tory council you'd be shouting from high heaven about them breaking the rules but no, because it isn't you don't. How's your carbon emission level with all that unnecessary flying you do going ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know this is not really related, but something I noticed when we were in lock down was how much better the air quality was, and also how quiet it was.
Roads are back to normal now and I honestly can't stand it. I'm all for more cycling lanes now, if it meant a reduction in car usage. Honestly If my job didn't require me to drive, I would probably come off the road for six months.

It's the noise that gets me, I can't believe we're welcoming that back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Love it that someone that isn't affected in the slightest signs a petition

We are all affected if the planet burns to a crisp.

The congestion around Olive Road has been horrendous.

Seems a sensible idea to get people out of their cars then? I’m glad we can agree on this.

The council imposed this lane and now want to make it permanent with no due process or following the usual consultation that takes place.

Are they legally obliged to do this? If they are it’s a shame as they have left an open goal for the nay-sayers and NIMBYs.

How's your carbon emission level with all that unnecessary flying you do going ?

As I discussed previously I only make necessary flights and these are primarily with EasyJet which is carbon neutral. https://www.easyjet.com/en/sustainability In a further attempt to reduce my carbon footprint I have decided against having children, each one being an average of 60 tonnes per year of their life. All things considered I reckon I’m actually running carbon negative these days. Being the generous soul that I am, I’ll donate you a few tonnes of my surplus so you can delay getting on your bike on Olive Road for a few weeks. No need to thank me.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
We are all affected if the planet burns to a crisp.

Indeed. Therefore creating congestion as this cycle lane has done, in a number of spots, would suggest that it's a very bad idea .... for all of us.

Seems a sensible idea to get people out of their cars then? I’m glad we can agree on this.

No, we're not agreed. Getting people out of their cars is a good thing. This cycle lane doesn't achieve that. All it has done is clog up a main road. Not many people are going to use their bike to go to Wickes, DFS, Homebase etc. By slowing traffic and congesting it only pollutes the air. The Olive Road junction in particular is now a death trap to both drivers and cyclists.

Are they legally obliged to do this? If they are it’s a shame as they have left an open goal for the nay-sayers and NIMBYs.

Yes they are. They are currently consulting at the moment - I've taken part. Here's the catch though - the consultation carries on until October. Yet the council make the decision tomorrow. Nothing like corrupting the process !!!!

As I discussed previously I only make necessary flights and these are primarily with EasyJet which is carbon neutral. https://www.easyjet.com/en/sustainability In a further attempt to reduce my carbon footprint I have decided against having children, each one being an average of 60 tonnes per year of their life. All things considered I reckon I’m actually running carbon negative these days. Being the generous soul that I am, I’ll donate you a few tonnes of my surplus so you can delay getting on your bike on Olive Road for a few weeks. No need to thank me.

I don't think many people would class flying to see the football as "necessary". As for the carbon neutral .... really ? You fall for that ? So Easyjet plant a few trees. Here's how to lower your carbon footprint - don't fly so regularly. When you do fly you are still adding to the carbon footprint regardless of what Easyjet do. I suspect my carbon footprint is far smaller than yours ( if there's a website we can both put our details into and get a figure I'd be very happy to compare ) so I won't be thanking you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. Therefore creating congestion as this cycle lane has done, in a number of spots, would suggest that it's a very bad idea .... for all of us.

No, we're not agreed. Getting people out of their cars is a good thing. This cycle lane doesn't achieve that. All it has done is clog up a main road. Not many people are going to use their bike to go to Wickes, DFS, Homebase etc. By slowing traffic and congesting it only pollutes the air. The Olive Road junction in particular is now a death trap to both drivers and cyclists.

Yes they are. They are currently consulting at the moment - I've taken part. Here's the catch though - the consultation carries on until October. Yet the council make the decision tomorrow. Nothing like corrupting the process !!!!

I don't think many people would class flying to see the football as "necessary". As for the carbon neutral .... really ? You fall for that ? So Easyjet plant a few trees. Here's how to lower your carbon footprint - don't fly so regularly. When you do fly you are still adding to the carbon footprint regardless of what Easyjet do. I suspect my carbon footprint is far smaller than yours ( if there's a website we can both put our details into and get a figure I'd be very happy to compare ) so I won't be thanking you.

How do you off-set all the hot air you emit?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Totally agree about Olive Road area, it’s shocking that without due process the council can spring the worlds most under used cycle lane up overnight but it takes an enquiry to remove it!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Btw keep your beak out of local affairs, as already proven you don’t even know where the City Centre is in Brighton [emoji23]

Obviously I do. But you’ll need to enlighten me as to what you’re referring to here.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here