Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cycle lanes - good for the environment, congestion, health and the economy

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton as the new Amsterdam What's not to like?

Quite. There’s a place for cars, but it certainly isn’t in our city centres any more.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Exactly
If we want to make the world better, post covid, we have to change the questions we ask.
At the moment the focus is on 'how do we get back to where we were'. Which, is understandable, given the sh*tstorm we are living through.
But that surely is the wrong question.

• Commuting is awful. So the question 'how do we get people back into work'? should be: How do we create new ways of working and better home-life balance for as many people as possible
  • Overconsumption is a problem so 'how do we get people to buy more crappy stuff' should be 'how do we shift to an economy based on lower resource use'?
  • Level of air travel was unsustainable so 'how do we go back to cheap mass flights' should be 'how do we create new ways of connecting people (for business) and encourage people to take holidays more locally and without flying (frequent flyer levy is one answer - dont punish those taking an annual holiday in Spain/Greece, but target the 'weekend in New York' crowd as well as those flying for business, which could be done remotely)?

Etc (can add points on putting conditionalities onto bailed out companies, bringing key services into shared or public ownership, rewilding instead of subsidised farming etc)

All common sense, and now is the time to borrow big and invest big (thus creating jobs and restructuring our economy and society to something fit for the future). And yes, that will mean a future rise in taxes for the wealthy. So what? Won't happen though, as it would involve this government breaking it's own made up fiscal 'rules', and, more importantly, acting in the interests of the majority rather than the minority (who they work for).

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
If you want the “temporary” cycle lane on the OSR removed sign the petition and spread the word. For fairness the second petition below is to keep it but imho unfairly adds a citywide network to the petition too!

https://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=696&RPID=36306160&HPID=36306160

https://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=702&RPID=36306160&HPID=36306160

BTW - fair play for including link to both petitions.

We seem to be getting the hang of keeping discussions out of the bear pit

maybe

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
KINGS ROAD (MAIN SEAFRONT) CYCLE LANE
The council are going to turn the southern lane of the two lanes (westbound) into a cycle lane as a 'temporary Covid 19 measure'. Starting from the Aquarium roundabout (soon to be lighted crossroads) all the way to King Alfred. I'm going to try and give the good and bad bits of this having got two businesses on that road. First up, pedestrian crossings. In a letter from the council, sentence three states that cyclists must obey the way of the road and stop at pedestrian lights. That will not happen and people will get mown down. Fact!. Easing of the busy footway. The path is busy and with cyclists going fast it is dangorous and so the cycle lane needs extending. There you go, I'm all for making the cycle path bigger. Traffic. The west bound lanes get busy. Can two lanes fit into one, probably not but will have to. Emergency services. Most of Kings Road has a central island and so cutting it down to one lane with heavy traffic most of the time means emergency vehicles (I see at least 4 an hour) wont get through. How will cars, vans and lorries move out of the way? West St. The junction with Kings Road & West St on the west bound side is already one lane. How do you cut one lane down to two?
DOWNLOAD THIS, VERY INTERESTING https://www.google.com/url?client=i...FjABegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw3JwnC_rKP4iPNq2q_1rB0Y

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] is where my Twitter bubble engulfs me.

In my Twitterverse, echo chamber, there wouldn't be a single voice that not applauding BHCC's decisions.

We've all sat in the car park that is Kings Road.
500 people crammed into the same area have looked on 30 people stationary in their with cars, occupying the same space
Pedestrians wandering onto the different coloured tarmac cycle lane and visa-versa.
Businesses would be welcoming the increased trade, because a cycle culture ALWAYS increases footfall.

The prom is for people.
Bicycles need a safe space.
Cars ought to be actively discouraged from that road.

Without NSC there's no way I'd be aware of peoples objections to what is simple common sense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
traffic.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know what I can’t be bothered, you don’t even live in Brighton do you?.

No I don't, I'm a sporadic visitor as I don't find the city at all inviting.

If, what is only a dream, ever were to become a reality (don't worry it never will) and Brighton did free itself from it's dependency on cars it would instantly become considerably more appealing.

But as said it's all hypothetical, even with the Greens in charge, it'll be one of the last cities to embrace change, not the first.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
It all depends where they are. Most of Britain's city streets are too narrow to take a cycle lane safely.
The proposed cycle lane, on a widened pavemenr will not only endanger pedestrians but force already heavy traffic close to my house. I am not in favour.

Why look at it that way, perhaps the road is actually too narrow for cars?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah I’m sure all the disabled people who re.....

You know what I can’t be bothered, you don’t even live in Brighton do you?

And what a time for the Greens yo take over the running of the City ffs.

The Greens haven’t got control, just 19 out of 54 seats, with many Labour councillors from theIr anti semitic rump refusing to go into an alliance with the Greens.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
With the Greens now in overall control of the City Council expect the whole city to be pedestrianised!

They're not in overall control - they're running a minority administration.

Mind you, whoever decided that 11.30 at night was the time to start roadworks is a complete tool, whatever party he or she is from :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here