Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Cut Price Benteke

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Didn’t he get sent off recently for an unsavoury incident and Zaha was involved too and throwing his eyes at everyone.. I know it doesn’t mean he’s an auto dickhead but still...

Weird thing with him is he’s one of the best strikers in the air in the league - hold up play and flick on wise. Just so weird he’s totally lost confidence in front of goal and has become a laughing stock by all football fans - feel for him a bit tbh.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
On what basis would anyone want to sign him? Was it the 2016-17 season where he got 3 goals? Or maybe the year after when he got 1? Or last season where he doubled that total to 2? The bloke has scored 6 goals in three seasons in a side set up for him, with two wingers most weeks and all kinds of hoofball into the box. He still couldn't score. He was quite good at Villa but that was 5 years ago,

We pass the ball on the floor without wingers but with quick interplay from nimble strikers making good runs. Beneteke would be lucky if he touched the ball 6 times in three seasons let alone score :lolol:

Give your heads a wobble or **** off back to Croydon because you have to be on a wind up.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
There are folk here at the NSC who want us to sell Ben White and buy Benteke.

Christ almighty I’m glad you’re not in charge.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Didn’t he get sent off recently for an unsavoury incident and Zaha was involved too and throwing his eyes at everyone.. I know it doesn’t mean he’s an auto dickhead but still...

Weird thing with him is he’s one of the best strikers in the air in the league - hold up play and flick on wise. Just so weird he’s totally lost confidence in front of goal and has become a laughing stock by all football fans - feel for him a bit tbh.

So when his your player his fighting and showing he cares for the club...when they play for another club they are dickheads ???

His hold up play is great, flick ons great ( but to no one) but other than his first season when he scored 17 he does look shot in front of goal. He would be much better in a good old fashion 4 4 2, with a striker playing off him.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I quite often try to relate some of what the "Secret Footballer" wrote about, to situations and players. He wrote about some players just being interested in their pay cheque, and not really wanting to be footballers, how they'd lost their love of the game. Benteke really strikes me as that sort of player. When he first ran out of form you wondered whether he was a bit out of sorts. But as seasons pass, and no improvement followed, you do wonder how much hunger he has for the game. Palace are now the second club to try and cut their losses on him.

I think this sort of signing would be based on trying to "rehabilitate" a broken player. Firstly I don't know if we're set up to do that, and secondly are we prepared to take that gamble or would we rather spend our limited money on someone with better portential. Its definitely a "no" for me..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is there a suggestion we'd be interested? wikipedia suggests he left Liverpool because he didnt suit Kloop's style, hardly going to slot into Potterball then. if not suited to Hodgson's more traditional setup, with two wingers to feed a targetman*, dont really see where he can go except down the leagues or abroad.

*often not used because he didnt even make the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some folk sincerely want us to sign Benteke?

I mean this most sincerely

E81F89AE-589B-4DD3-A92F-8A58E328B71E.jpeg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So when his your player his fighting and showing he cares for the club...when they play for another club they are dickheads ???

His hold up play is great, flick ons great ( but to no one) but other than his first season when he scored 17 he does look shot in front of goal. He would be much better in a good old fashion 4 4 2, with a striker playing off him.

Dont put words in my mouth I didn’t say he was a dickhead another poster said they had a hunch - I just suggested his red card there may suggest he has issues - don’t know.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

I recall reading stuff about his attitude being not great and also his preparedness to contribute next to no goals but keep banking the pay cheque (could have moved on with a pay cut and tried again somewhere else). But - based on your challenge - I've done some reading and what I've found suggests that he's a decent lad who works hard. So I stand corrected.

Dumped very quickly by Klopp (Rodgers' signing against the transfer teams recommendation btw) and after a decent season with Palace, couldn't score a goal. I suspect GP could get into his head and 'right the ship', but why take the risk? Not enough in his history to make him worth it and too much downside. I'd be staggered if he was even on our longest of long lists of options.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I recall reading stuff about his attitude being not great and also his preparedness to contribute next to no goals but keep banking the pay cheque (could have moved on with a pay cut and tried again somewhere else). But - based on your challenge - I've done some reading and what I've found suggests that he's a decent lad who works hard. So I stand corrected.

Dumped very quickly by Klopp (Rodgers' signing against the transfer teams recommendation btw) and after a decent season with Palace, couldn't score a goal. I suspect GP could get into his head and 'right the ship', but why take the risk? Not enough in his history to make him worth it and too much downside. I'd be staggered if he was even on our longest of long lists of options.

I must admit that apart from his lack of goals he always comes across as a nice lad looking at the Kids parties and food bank giving he always seems to be at. And he has worked hard on his fitness and does give Palace a different way to play when he is on the field, its just a pity he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo..in fact he dropped the banjo !

D

Deleted member 2719

Maybe, Palace don't create chances but I don't think we're that club either, as we don't create ample opportunities. We don't play wingers anymore and largely our service to the front men has been pretty stifled. The stat for that would be the "F" column in the league table with only 4 teams scoring less than us. Our current system definitely requires strikers to do more work on their own, and I don't think "working on his own" is one of Benteke's strengths.

We may not create as much as you wish via the conventional route but we are 8th in the league for shots, considering we were faffing about toward the bottom for shots last year. We have come a long way, we have nothing to moan about.

If you don't shoot you don't score, is one of the most truthful sayings in football.

Can't wait for this forthcoming season.

Would I want benteke? Only if Potter does.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
"Crystal Palace have placed an £8m price tag on Belgium striker Christian Benteke, 29, as the Eagles look to raise funds to buy Watford's 22-year-old Senegal forward Ismaila Sarr, rated at £40m."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53716825

8 million :lolol:

You could buy 8 houses for Ben White with that and still buy a better striker with the change.

Would those 8 houses come with barn doors???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's a keen Christian (whether that is justificaton in itself for a dick head lable is moot; I'd say not) and I doubt he's relishing his chump status even with the silly salary. One good season 8 years ago does not make a great striker. That said.....with decent coaching, who knows? Not for us, though. Watford, maybe? ???

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
We may not create as much as you wish via the conventional route but we are 8th in the league for shots, considering we were faffing about toward the bottom for shots last year. We have come a long way, we have nothing to moan about.

If you don't shoot you don't score, is one of the most truthful sayings in football.

Can't wait for this forthcoming season.

Would I want benteke? Only if Potter does.

I think that's a really great summary, "only if potter does". I dont really want Benteke, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt if Potter wanted him here.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
They are surely stuck with him until his massive contract runs out. Nobody is going to pay him anywhere near as much as he's on at Palace.

You'd have thought so wouldn't you, but incredibly they actually extended his contract last year! If the terms were similar to his original deal, they have committed about £1.5 million in his year extension in the hope of getting £8 million for him. This seems like the desperate move of a losing gambler, oblivious to the concept of sunk costs. Presumably any club buying a striker for £8 million is not going to be offering personal terms that would compare with what he is getting at Palace. Who is going to even agree to a year long loan and buy deal, with a percentage of the wages being paid, when his contract would be expiring at the end of the loan? Someone might take the punt if there was reason to believe that his goals could bring promotion from the Championship, but what world would you be living in to believe this to be likely, let alone probable?

So they were, as you suggest, stuck with a player whose wages were too large for them to be able to offload and yet chose to prolong that situation. If I was a Palace fan I would be raging at the idiocy of the people in charge. Instead, expect there to be one or two along shortly to argue that their owners know exactly what they are doing.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I agree, he was a very good striker before he arrived at Palace. He always worries me when he plays against us as he dominates pretty well all our centre backs, including Duffy and Dunk. I would not be unhappy if we bought him, he just needs to get his confidence back. If we are looking for a cut price Murray replacement, he COULD be the answer
He will have to take a hefty pay cut I imagine or pay linked to goals

Now where’s my tin hat

I’m gonna agree

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The gamble would be worth 8 mil if he was on 20% or less of his current wages. For that reason can't see anyone going for it unless palarse keep paying the majority despite selling him.

Sarr tho...... would be a good buy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Potter may be good but he is not a miracle worker.

I wouldn't touch Benteke with a shitty stick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here