Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cup or League?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
2 years ago Leeds beat Man Utd in the cup and then played pants for the next 2 months. Bit more of that will do for me.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously, I would like to win all 3. However, so long as we play well, I won't be seriously down if we lose against the Koppites. A loss against leeds will put a downer on my weekend.

I will be seriously pissed off if we lose the league game after that!

BHADAZ

Sep 10, 2011
lancing
Quite right - winning is a habit - let's try to get back to it as soon as we can. It's not like the drain of the Europa League - we're only 4 games from Wembley! (OK, it's unlikely to happen, but let's go for it!)

lets go for the lot the league, Carling cup and FA cup i we are Liverpool's bogie side so lets go for it

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
League all the way!

But Liverpools league results havn't been that great when you have a good look at it:
1-1 Sunderland - Who we obviously beat in the last round
2-0 Arsenal - Took a sending off and an own-goal before sealing the win on the 90th minute. Arsenal currently 17th
3-1 Bolton - Wanderers currently 19th in the table
0-1 Stoke
0-4 Spurs

Id be happy if we made a couple of changes in midfield and have CMS on the bench and see how its going upto 60th minute but its all about Leeds and Palace for me.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
League, not like we will win the Carling Cup is it.

Oh yeah, since when did we start caring about the cup just because we won't win it :facepalm:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who do we want in the next round?

I want Man United. We don't want to Leeds on the back of a win for them.

DavePage

It’s an interesting situation. Normally the Prem side rest players in early rounds, so the talk is we are resting players, doesn’t that say how far we have come?
I know we have played the reserves in the past, but for a totally different reason.
If we are putting Dunk in the shop window, then he should play & strut his stuff.....if the really believe that they may lose him in January.
Is it one game ban for 5 bookings? If it is, again let him play, get him back for palarse & close the book on how ordinary they are.
There is no good time to lose a player, but if we did he is rested when the others guys are knackered for having 4 difficult games in 11 days.
Seems Vincelot is more than capable of fitting into almost any position.
I think with the Prem & Europe in mind, Liverpool with play a reduced side because they cannot afford to play full strength & lose.
So think of it as another payday, more good press plus another 6 points gained.

Mine

Odious Bureaucrat
Sep 16, 2011
League. Carling Cup was a great win for Birmingham. But I think they rested on that laurel (acted as if the season was over the moment they beat Arsenal) and paid the price for it in relegation.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey I thought I was the only one! I do really struggle to understand the idea that the Leeds game is 'more important' than the Liverpool one. If we lose to Leeds it's not the end of the world, there are still enough matches left for us to avoid relegation / make the play-offs / get automatic promotion (whichever it is that people think we're going to do). If we lose to Liverpool, that's it, we're out.

There never used to be this obsession with winning every single league game, the tables never used to be published in the papers until about three games had been played, and no one took them seriously until about Christmas. Now the attitude (and not just at Brighton) is 'onwards and upwards', there is talk of 'must win' games as early as August (August!) and sack the manager if we're in the bottom three in November.

I guess sir albion above got it right when he said that cup fever has died long ago. Well maybe for most, but here's one old romantic for whom it's still alive. And I shall keep banging on about it. Sorry!

Edit: And above all I don't like this defeatist attitude that it "doesn't matter" if we lose. Of course it matters!

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Blimey I thought I was the only one! I do really struggle to understand the idea that the Leeds game is 'more important' than the Liverpool one. If we lose to Leeds it's not the end of the world, there are still enough matches left for us to avoid relegation / make the play-offs / get automatic promotion (whichever it is that people think we're going to do). If we lose to Liverpool, that's it, we're out.

There never used to be this obsession with winning every single league game, the tables never used to be published in the papers until about three games had been played, and no one took them seriously until about Christmas. Now the attitude (and not just at Brighton) is 'onwards and upwards', there is talk of 'must win' games as early as August (August!) and sack the manager if we're in the bottom three in November.

I guess sir albion above got it right when he said that cup fever has died long ago. Well maybe for most, but here's one old romantic for whom it's still alive. And I shall keep banging on about it. Sorry!

Of course we want to win both but the thread is league or cup and after Leicester giving us a bit of a run round we need to beat Leeds to keep the Gus bus rolling on it's all about keeping belief in the players and the fans as we do know as you say how negative some fans can be after a loss or two.

Dirty leeds and scummy Palace is where the focus should be IMO.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

This to a point. Offer me a loss to liv but three points against The Palace and you have a deal.

The cup is a bonus. Of course i want to go as far as we can but i wont be too disappointed to lose to liverpool. Gillingham yes but not liverpool.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Don't forget that Leeds play Man Utd tomorrow which is massive for them, and I doubt they'll be resting many players.

We've got a lot of strength in depth and I can really see us fielding a very competent side v Liverpool.

We cannot win the cup, but we can knock out one of the big sides. This is our Carling Cup Final.

Read as far as this post. This.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
The cup might not mean much anymore, but every round we win we get paid. The league is a priority without dealt, but winning games give confidence. We won't win the cup, but what if? We could be watching the Albion in Europe next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Of course we want to win both but the thread is league or cup and after Leicester giving us a bit of a run round we need to beat Leeds to keep the Gus bus rolling on it's all about keeping belief in the players and the fans as we do know as you say how negative some fans can be after a loss or two.

Beating Liverpool WILL keep the Gus Bus rolling! Plus it will shut the plastics up and personally at the moment that means more to me than league points. An annoying number of Sussex born and bred Liverpool fans have come out of the closet; two of them have gleefully told me how they've got tickets from 'not that bothered' Albion STHs and are looking forward to putting us in our place. Telling them that they're the favourites and are expected to win is not doing anything to curb their sense of gleeful anticipation.

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom

What and beating Liverpool won't give us belief?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As someone who has brought a ticket for Liverpool I expect the team to be full strength and to fight to win the match.

We're a professional football club and while not big, the squad is a strong one. There is no reason at all we shouldn't be attempting to win cup matches and league matches. Gus proved last season he could get a team to play numerous games in a very short timespan. I really don't get this League or Cup mentality - big clubs should be able to cope with both and surely we now have ideas of being a "big" club ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Edit: And above all I don't like this defeatist attitude that it "doesn't matter" if we lose. Of course it matters!

If this was FA Cup Round 3 then yes, I agree. It's not though, it's that one that nobody cares about. What I do think is that we'll put out a decent enough side and the players will automatically bust a gut to try and win, it's their nature. We will try and win both games it's just as a club we SHOULD be looking towards the league games, especially the second one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here