Cult Heroes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ref the official website and the Cult Heroes thing the BBC are doing, I thought I'd share my submission with you all, I look forward to seeing what some of you might put in.

NB, this is not an opportunity to slag off each others suggestions, let's just put our own thoughts to the BBC for their new Football Focus feature.

Here are my 3 cult heroes who have played for Brighton & Hove Albion.

Bobby Zamora. A legend, he totally tore apart all defences he played against, top scorer in both championship seasons, and when he got the ball, you just expected him to score.

Ian Chapman.
Robbie Reinault. In our darkest hour playing against Hereford United, we were a matter of minutes from relegation from the league and with that the club would have ended. The Clubs former chairman, Bill Archer, had sold the Goldstone Ground, we had nowhere to go. Robbie scored on the last game of the season, against Hereford, that ensured we stayed in the football league. What followed was 2 seasons playing home games in Gillingham, 70 miles form Brighton. If we had been a Conference team, we would have folded. Robbie Reinault will remain in the hearts of Brighton fans for ever.

Dick Knight.
The Chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion. He brokered the deal to get rid of Bill Archer, and return the club to Brighton, albeit in a temporary stadium at Withdean. He secured the services of Micky Adams, Bobby Zamora, Peter Taylor, Steve Coppell and Leon Knight to name but a few. His passion for the Albion is matched by the Albion fans and he will get us our new home at the Community Stadium at Falmer. Whenever he talks, publicly or privately, and I have met him a few times, I am left in no doubt that he is as big a fan of the Albion as I am, and although he is not a player, he is a cult hero at Brighton.

If you need any further information please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Superphil said:
I have met him a few times, I am left in no doubt that he is as big a fan of mine
Dick Knight is one of your biggest fans ? Must be those cool banners you come up with Phil.

;)

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
My Albion cult heroes would be:

John Crumplin
Peter Smith
Warren Aspinall

Only for sheer comedy value!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
babyshambles said:
warren aspinall, the stories that come down from carlisle about him, geez!!!
he does like to enjoy himself huh?

Do tell?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Robbie Reinelt
Stuart Storer
Danny Cullip - True Hero.

bobbysboots

Jul 5, 2003
Uckfield
Fozzie for his headband alone - and my all time favourite player

Hans Kraay for jumping around the opposition's penalty area when we had a corner

:bounce:

and of course John Crumplin - Football Genius

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Get yer emails off to the BBC, see www.seagulls.co.uk for more info. Let's get us a bit of exposure on the BBC.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
the whole thing about cult heroes, in my opinion, it that they should be generally shite, but contribute something outstanding to the club's history.

robbie reinelt was not a great footballer by any stretch of the imagination, but scored the most crucial goal in the club's history.

peter smith came from nowhere (alma swanley?), looked like carlos alberto for one season and then became absolute shite.

JC was a terrible winger but played out of his skin against Liverpool at Anfield in the Cup and kept John Barnes in his pocket for the whole game.

ian chapman was my hero! youngest player for the club at the time, will always remember his goal against Bournemouth in front of the North Stand.

storer will always be remembered for THAT goal at the Goldstone and his never-say-die-even-though-i'm-very-average efforts down the right wing.

I would put the Ginger Prince in my list of cult heroes as well actually, purely because he was there at Hereford and ever since and he was born in the same hospital as me.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agree about cult heroes having to actually be quite crap, at least to start off with. The whole point is that they're not universally popular but either produce a staggering improvement, or continue to be so completely inept that the crowd start to feel sorry for you or laugh at you.

Zamora is just a hero, not a cult hero, because everyone liked him.

The likes of John Crumplin and lately Guy Butters are what I'd call cult heroes. Would probably put Phil Stant and Warren Aspinall in those brackets, albeit on a very small scale. Stant's heading of a ball 2 inches off the ground still makes me chuckle to this day, while Aspinall still has a small pocket of admirers in the South Stand, for his sterling efforts despite weighing more than the entire population of Northumberland put together.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Perry Digweed.....'nuff said :thumbsup:

actually no I'll say more, he's an absolute LEGEND to me and my mates.......LEGEND i tells ye!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
John Keeley?

For his excellent goalkeeping in years gone by, but more for his Kajagoogoo hairstyle and alleged off field activites.

I loved him (bet he makes a cracking cup of tea at half time as well :lolol: )

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Tony Towner, great to watch but never one of the big names and a local boy.

Kerry Mayo, another local lad who has survived what must have been the complete torture of Hereford. Hope he sees out his career here (just do some more training, Kerry)

Paul Clark - not a great footballer but a joy to watch (as long as he played on your side). I don't remember him bottling a tackle, ever.

Last edited:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Set of Tracksuits said:

ian chapman was my hero! youngest player for the club at the time, will always remember his goal against Bournemouth in front of the North Stand.

i still remember that goal now. brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports