Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cult Heroes

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Set of Tracksuits said:
ian chapman was my hero! youngest player for the club at the time, will always remember his goal against Bournemouth in front of the North Stand.
Shirley you mean Leeds ?

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
hang on, the ian chapman goal, you mean the top left hand corner free kick when we were 3-1 down with 9 minutes to go and ended up drawing 3-3. it was raining.

or i am i mistaken?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
the full harris said:
hang on, the ian chapman goal, you mean the top left hand corner free kick when we were 3-1 down with 9 minutes to go and ended up drawing 3-3. it was raining.

or i am i mistaken?

That's the one. Nogan should have scored a fourth but just missed connecting with a great cross to the far post. Chivers afterward sounded completely gutted.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Easy 10 said:
Shirley you mean Leeds ?

nah it was definitely bournemouth, equaliser in a 3-3 draw. for some reason the match had got quite heated and the ground erupted when he scored (from about 25 yards).

not denying that he scored against Leeds, but the Bournemouth one stick in the memory.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nathan Jones from the current squad. Has a small but devoted army of fans, and a whole load of doubters.

Perfect cult hero material.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
edna krabappel said:
Nathan Jones from the current squad. Has a small but devoted army of fans, and a whole load of doubters.

Perfect cult hero material.

yeah, jones or butters (as you mentioned before). butters would get my vote.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Set of Tracksuits said:
nah it was definitely bournemouth, equaliser in a 3-3 draw. for some reason the match had got quite heated and the ground erupted when he scored (from about 25 yards).

not denying that he scored against Leeds, but the Bournemouth one stick in the memory.

Mostly it was Bartram's blatant timewasting in front of the North Stand.

paolo3

Apr 19, 2004
It's got to be Kerry. Young player nearly puts his home town club out of business with an own goal on the last day of the season, 'Two Kerry Mayos' is one of the best chants in the history of footy, and you think he's the kind of player you could have been with a couple of lucky breaks - playing for the team you support, never managing to look particularly good and yet surviving season after season. May he see out his career with the Albion, he's a bit pooh a lot of the time, but long live the Ginger Prince, a proper cult hero!!!

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Set of Tracksuits said:

Ahh, I was thinking of his own goal. Here's something I prepared earlier.

"No sooner had we equalised, than wee Gordon Strachan got away free down the right. With no other defenders in sight, our keeper Perry Digweed (still one of the best names I have ever heard in football, or anywhere else for that matter), charged off his line to have a go at this left-back business, being as no-one else seemed to want to play there at that particular moment. Perry didn’t prove to be a very effective left-back though, and Strachan skipped round him easily. We watched in horror as the aging ginger terror, ball at his feet, advanced into our penalty from the wing, with an open goal gaping. We held our breath, waiting for him to complete the simple and inevitable task of rolling the ball into our unguarded net. Its one of those moments when you know it’s a goal well before the ball goes in. You almost look away, as there seems no possible way a player of Strachans class and experience could possibly do anything else but score. So you brace yourself and wait for it. But wee Gordon didn’t score. He squared it. To our utter disbelief, with an open goal, he rolled a square pass along the six-yard line across the face of the gaping goal, with not another Leeds player even in the penalty area. The yellow shirts were miles back up the field, with not an earthly of getting within 25 yards of that ball. A collective feeling of relief washes over us all as we see Ian Chapman, our faithful left-back (ahhh, THERE he is Perry !), running back to intercept the ball and thump it to safety. Why, he won’t even need to concede a corner, will he ? This’ll be a throw-in at worst. Actually, there’s so much time, he might even trap the ball, turn, and play one of those lovely bending passes out to the safety of the right wing to initiate a thrusting counter-attack. We collectively ponder Chappers options as he charged at the ball, takes one touch, and…….clattered it unerringly into the empty net. For a second, there is a stunned silence. Then suddenly the east side of the ground erupts into hysteria, and poor Chappers sinks down on his haunches, squeezes his eyes shut, and pinches the bridge of his nose, as though nursing a particularly gruesome migraine. TV replays later showed a cruel divot had lifted the ball just at the precise moment Chapman was about to take a touch, no doubt intending to ponder the various options we had all thought about a couple of seconds earlier. Instead, the ball spun up, bounced off his shinpad and trickled apologetically into the goal. 2-1 to Leeds."

Last edited:

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
m20gull said:
Tony Towner, great to watch but never one of the big names and a local boy.

Kerry Mayo, another local lad who has survived what must have been the complete torture of Hereford. Hope he sees out his career here (just do some more training, Kerry)

Paul Clarke - not a great footballer but a joy to watch (as long as he played on your side). I don't remember him bottling a tackle, ever.

an excellent list. I would also add Sully for the years of service culminating in the top division.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Cassidy
Kit Napier
Fred Binney

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Alan Duffy(usually overweight and unfit but occasionally showed flashes of real talent)
Bert Murray(the original people's player)
Steve Piper(local boy -not blessed with great talent but generally gave100%)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Robbie Reinelt. He came from nowhere with the last £15k the club spent of players for ages, did so-so for the club until THAT match, THAT substitution, THAT shot from Maskell that hit the post, bounced out and scored THAT goal which meant I went more beserk that at anytime in my life

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Robbie Reinelt been said before. Without THAT go we would not be posting on here now. The club would have folded and we would not have a club to support.

Brett Ormerod for the save from Foster after we had scored.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here