Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crystal Palace FC

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Maybe it's just the generation I come from but gaving supported the Albion through the bitter rivalry years of the 70s and 80s, not having palace as a rival would take a lot away from my love of football. I just love the anticipation of an upcoming match with them and all the banter that goes with it. We need them to survive. They may be scum but they're our scum!

This.
What happened here was not the fans fault when we had the issues with the Goldstone, and neither it appears is the Palace issue. Yes their our rivals, but for their fans, essentially they're going through what all Brighton fans went through those years ago. I wasnt old enough to appreciate the severity of those days when the club was in doubt, but i certainly dont want them to dissapear.
For the fans sake, i wish them good luck concerning their future, because to me the Palace rivalry has to remain for years to come. Its something to look forward too, and should not be ruined by a bunch of twats in charge, as many clubs have been.
Hope they get through it and we're playing them soon, only once or twice on the way past them that is. :wink:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
That doesn't help the fans who have supported their team since they were kids etc. I remember how I felt when we nearly fell out of the league and when things looked like they were going down the plug hole and I know how I would feel now if things were different and we were in danger of going out of business. How the f*** would Palace going into liquidation protect other clubs? Unless you think Palace folding will finally get the FA to act or Government to step in to try and sort football out? Can't see it myself.

I really do feel for the fans. I know and get on well with a number of them. BUT they are probably the worst example of a club cheating their way over decent clubs who recognise their limitations. Why shouldn't Scunthorpe spunk millions on gambling for the premiership? Perhaps west brom shouldn't have been so frugal in the way they have accepted relegation from the premiership rather than spending huge amounts of cash they couldn't afford. Perhaps we should have outbid saints (or whoever else may be in the hunt for) calderon?

Palace going tits up won't affect the fa or govt but it would make other.clubs and their fans a little but more circumspect.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
As i said on another thread

"I'm quite happy to say that palace won't go bust, FACT.
The same with Pompey, the FA will never let a team in the top two divisions go bust. "

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I really do feel for the fans. I know and get on well with a number of them. BUT they are probably the worst example of a club cheating their way over decent clubs who recognise their limitations. Why shouldn't Scunthorpe spunk millions on gambling for the premiership? Perhaps west brom shouldn't have been so frugal in the way they have accepted relegation from the premiership rather than spending huge amounts of cash they couldn't afford. Perhaps we should have outbid saints (or whoever else may be in the hunt for) calderon?

Palace going tits up won't affect the fa or govt but it would make other.clubs and their fans a little but more circumspect.

I agree with your general view about clubs gambling. Just wish there was a way of sorting it without hurting proper fans who support their local team.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I agree with your general view about clubs gambling. Just wish there was a way of sorting it without hurting proper fans who support their local team.

I don't think there is another way unfortunately. No one seemed that bothered with aldershot, Chester, Maidstone. Perhaps we need a bigger scalp; would have prefered it to be Portsmouth to be honest as they even eclipse palace for the audacity in fleecing all around them. But palace are probably the next in line.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
In all these cases it's always the fans who suffer when their only crime is supporting the local club. The FA, Prem and Football leagues really need to do something to get the ridiculous spending by clubs hell bent on success under control and place strict rules and limits on what they can spend. Some changes to level the playing field and stop the ever widening gap between the top of the Prem and the rest would be good too.

Cheese_Roll

May 19, 2009
The mighty Palace
I can take most of the banter on here, but I cant take being patronised about we haven't done enough....

I remember clowntown fans telling us they formed a political party, well proud of it they were. And were advising us to do the same. But our council backs us, they are on our side - and they did what they needed to do when they needed to do it -no two circumstances are the same.

We haven't been dealing with anybody face to face, no names, and host of different entites. Lloyds, Bank Of Scotland, PWC, Agilo... Most of all we have a consortium who have spent a good few months now discussing all the different parts of the takeover. The consortium speaks to only the administrator in person. It's been in the delicate stages now for the past month. The important part was ensuring the club stayed up, and the fans were asked to concentrate on that. That being achieved we now have moved our attention to end game. The consortium have been keen to ensure the fans have been kept out the way so they can get through the delicate stages, and the fans have been on alert. There was a protest being planned for today, only to get a bit more press coverage, but the cosortium decided to make the statement when they did for maximum impact. It was a call to the fans to get involved, and now we are.

I could tell you what Palace fans achieved back when we were first in Admin, but I'd only sound patronising.

Laugh at 1000 people turning up at the ground at short notice if you want. Whatever flicks your switch. As for the song, it's spreading around the football league like wildfire, about 8 championship clubs now sing it since playing us. You'll find yourself humming it at work eventually.

Feb 14, 2010
I think its a cultural thing.Palace are all surprised they are in th shit. We knew it in the early 90s and we had fans asking questions when we were told everything is fine, We found out and Harty confronted Bellotti and the conversation went, (Harty correct me if Im wrong) along the lines of "... it doesnt end here".
Bighton v York, Walk outs with Fireworks, Fans United, Hereford, 10,000 marching for Falmer along the seafront, taking on the FA and the rest , we now as a result have a club.
Palace have 1000 on one day that make a prat of themselves in close season. We fought, we won well done, they didnt fight, enough said.
That was always a difference, The Albion is a regional identity that is lucky for it, Sussex by the Sea and all that, palace? Well sadly they dont have the roots

Cheese_Roll

May 19, 2009
The mighty Palace
There you go again patronising.

You're not quite understanding, there is no Bellotti... There is nobody to question.

We raised a million quid in 14 days (which had an impact back then), We took the FA out of action for 24 hours, and we formed the first supporters Trust - it's template is the one that is now followed by every FL club. When it counts we are there.

But you sit there with a warm superior glow. You're obviously very proud of it, and keen to let everyone know about it.

Feb 14, 2010
"We'll never go to pompey." we fought we won well done, palace sat on their hands. You have no respect because you deserve none as you were more interested that staying up than fighting the the real fight. We found out and we fought you boasted about being in a higher division paid for with other peoples money. its the difference

ARCHIVE: Brighton & Hove Albion A York City A ...

Cheese_Roll

May 19, 2009
The mighty Palace
Clueless.

Staying up was equally as important. Because one of the clubs assets is its Championship status, and the important but modest income it generates. Without its status, given that we dont have our own ground, there would be a good chance that we would be wound-up already, as our sum total of assets wouldnt even match the secured debt we have to pay.

I cant talk seriously to someone who questions us for helping the team stay up....

Feb 14, 2010
Clueless.

Staying up was equally as important. Because one of the clubs assets is its Championship status, and the important but modest income it generates. Without its status, given that we dont have our own ground, there would be a good chance that we would be wound-up already, as our sum total of assets wouldnt even match the secured debt we have to pay.

I cant talk seriously to someone who questions us for helping the team stay up....

that last sentence shows that you dont have a clue, we had 18 months / 2 yers when results on the field were not important to us fans, relegation not the major issue. We got relegated from the third tier and we were fighting and the 4th tier we were close and then results an issue to stave off the conference but the battle started in the second tier where you are now. You really dont have a clue but you need to learn from Brighton and learn fast.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Good luck Cheese Roll.

I see "Working Class Pride's" point, in that in our worst days we had resigned ourselves to non-league football and the struggle became about nothing more than the club. However, it is far too simplistic to suggest "one size fits all". There are many ways to fight a battle and I wish you all the best in yours.

Alfred the greatx

Cake anyone, bit overdone
Jun 15, 2008
GOD, I never thought I would say this, but I wish you well Palace.
I have hated Man U all my life, a hatred that only grew by the countless toe to toe battles around both the cup final matches.
I have hated Bournmouth and Portsmouth and taken kickings against both, yet no one comes close to my feelings of loathing toward Palace.
Some of my most wonderfull memories of Albion away games are the thousands of our lads that come out of the woodwork for this one. (The only place I have been threatened with arrest for putting my leg in a police dogs mouth!)
The Palace lads off the council estates have the same bone deep love of their club as we do and I have never met one single Palace lad (away from match days) that I couldn't get on with.
They are the same as us, the club is their life, and they dont deserve to have it stolen from them any more than we did.
There is nothing, NOTHING, in the fixture list that compares with the Palace games and I want my kids to know what rivalry realy is, a rivalry that goes down to your bloody toe nails.
And you cant do that without a rival.
So good on yer Palace, I can only hate you if you exist, and I sooooo love hating you.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Palace fans have only just found out how serious the problems are. Up until this weekend they had been led to believe that everything was under control. The Administrator has been making all sorts of positive statements but now it's come to light that things are not as clear cut as the fans have been led to believe. Why would Palace fans protest when they have been led to believe that all was being resolved ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here