[Football] Croydon Shitehawks?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I don't think we have settled on a satisfactory derogatory name for Palace; Millwall call them Nigels, but anyone is posh compared to someone from Bermondsey/New Cross. "Pikeys" never caught on, because lets face it as many of their fans come from Purley as New Addington. So I suggest "Croydon Shitehawks" which I reckon sums them up nicely...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree the pikeys thing is stupid, doesn't fit them at all and makes no sense.

"Filth" or "the Snides" generally covers it for me.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I agree the pikeys thing is stupid, doesn't fit them at all and makes no sense.

"Filth" or "the Snides" generally covers it for me.
Yeah I agree with the sentiment but we need a name for them where we all know who we are talking about... Croydon Shitehawks

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Shitehawks is what many people call Seagulls, so why honour them with that? We should claim it, if anything :)
I'll say what I always say when this comes up - Palace should be the Craptors. It is perfect: an eagle is a raptor, and the initial C just fits perfectly. Perhaps it's a bit ornithological for some...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I always found that 'Crystal Palace' works well for me. I've always known them as that. I don't normally have to explain myself to others with that one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I always found that 'Crystal Palace' works well for me. I've always known them as that. I don't normally have to explain myself to others with that one.
Ah, but explaining yourself is part of the fun.

Scum works for me.

Although shitehawks does pay tribute to the fact that they stole their badge from Whitehawk.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ah, but explaining yourself is part of the fun.

Scum works for me.

Although shitehawks does pay tribute to the fact that they stole their badge from Whitehawk.
Unfortunately, it's a nickname that those of us associated with Whitehawk have oft had to endure. 'That lot up the road' is the sanitised reference I use for them. I'm getting old.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Funny story people might not know:

In the mid-90s, England legend Debbie Bampton took charge over Croydon Women and turned them into the best women's team in England, winning several league titles with their super team (lots of England veterans, including Hope Powell).

They also won the double several times, including in their final season, 1999/00.

All was fine and well until June 2000 when the club was having their annual meeting. To everyones surprise, the players announced that they wanted to become Charlton Athletic instead. They just f***ed off from Croydon Arena the first chance they got. Sure, they got some small advantages - bit better facilities, didn't have to pay (membership) to play anymore and had someone wash their kits. But the main reason appears to be that they wanted to get the hell out of Croydon.

Must be a pretty shitty place.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I don't think we have settled on a satisfactory derogatory name for Palace; Millwall call them Nigels, but anyone is posh compared to someone from Bermondsey/New Cross. "Pikeys" never caught on, because lets face it as many of their fans come from Purley as New Addington. So I suggest "Croydon Shitehawks" which I reckon sums them up nicely...
How old are you?

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
This is a prime example of why you shouldn't post when you have partaken of a few Friday night sherbets.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Thread title made be think there was a Croydon/whitehawk merger on the cards.

Why do you need another name for Palace? For most of us there's not another word in the language we can fill with such contempt.
(Well "cyclist" and "Barber" are contenders for some)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I find just calling them”Palace” with a large dose of contempt always gets the point across.

Let’s face it, we don’t have many mentions of them on NSC that are complementary to them, or anything remotely connected to them.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Apart from Selhurst park is in south Norwood and not Croydon ! I lived in south Norwood and went shopping in Croydon, a bit like living in Falmer and going shopping in Brighton….although close not the same place.

el punal

Exactly. Why belittle ourselves with using cringe worthy labels to describe the pikey scum, caravan dwelling knobheads who play in a shithole of a ground in an arsehole area of London supported by spotty faced twats wearing black hoodies who vandalise their own team coach. :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports