Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crisis Averted - Benayoun to QPR

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes could not agree more that you are entitled to your opinion as is anyone on here (or anywhere else for that matter).

Do you have any evidence that 'he has most of them in his pocket.' Why he need say Jeff Shreeves 'on his side' and vice versa.

Do you actual evdence of this 'big friendy circle?'

Most people i spoke to wanted HR as England manager, like to think my friends are reasonably knowledgable on football and therefore a good barometer of public opinion.

I notice you choose not to address any of the other points i made in my first post on this thread........
Patronising and selective answering sums up some of the mods behaviour on here.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
You are Harry Redknapp and I claim my £500.

So your mates like him. Mine, I generally find don't. And as for mates in the media, just look at the response in much of the tabloid press when their old pal Harry didn't get the job! They started making out as though the nation was stunned by Hodgson's appointment, and, even worse, mocking his slight speech impediment.

I'm not sure I've ever seen any of the major newspapers mock Redknapp's less-than-model looks, or his twitching. So why the piss taking of Hodgson?
Everyone I spoke to about who should be the next England manager said Redknapp. And think a lot of people were surprised by the appointment of Hodgson because they hadn't thought of him. I didn't hear anyone saying they think Hodgson should be the next manager, but I also didn't hear many people say he was a bad choice.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Becoming very obvious that the Football League version of FFP is not going to be enforceable - you can`t let promoted clubs off, and then enforce it on clubs who didn`t get promoted. If it came to court, no judge is going to say thats fair. So IMO theres a good chance the FL FFP will be quietly postponed, pending UEFA getting the Premier League to play ball. Which might happen in 2016/17, or thereagain it might not.

You`d need PL and FL agreement to make an interim solution work, and that isn`t going to happen.

So if I am right, that means nothing really changes. Clubs with super rich suger-daddies will try to buy a place in the PL, which is what`s happening now of course. There won`t be any FFP financial penalty for that behaviour in the next few years. Can`t see it.[/QUOTE

If true, that makes us ........... er.................. mugs, possibly?

I might be wrong. Its just that the history of FFP so far has been littered with postponements and a general sense that you can negotiate your way out without too much trouble.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Are you just making this up as you go along?

Littered with postponements? When were these then?

I mean, Really?

Approved 2009. Will finally take effect 2016/17 in the EPL. If all goes acccording to plan....

I think some of the detail is still being made up as we go along - eg the Fair play Tax now being given to Charity rather than redistributed to clubs that complied.

I am a supporter of FFP, by the way. Just cynical about how effective it will be.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its amazing how well Harry has done considering that he is semi-illiterate and can barely read and write. At least thats what he told the court during his tax evasion trial.
Pompey fans hold him in such esteem that during the civil disturbances ( neighbourhood riots ) they went in search of his property investments in the city ( commercial/industrial sites ) and set fire to them. Naturally, Harry was mortified.
When he left Pompey for Saints, he remarked that he had no idea of the intensity of the rivalry between the two clubs...FFS.
The mans whole life has been spent one step ahead of the tax-man and the authorities. He sails very close to the wind. He has been raided and arrested. He worked with Mandaric and Storrie at Pompey. Need I say more. The authorities knew what they were up to but sadly couldn't trace all the off-shore money that had been hived off Pompey.
He's a loveable rogue who plays the part to perfection. Brought up in the East End and rubbing shoulders with the Krays and living off the Moore/Hurst/Peters celebrity, nothing throws Harry. He's seen it all. He's so sharp, you'd cut yourself on him but he plays the simple man approach so well.
Nothing excites Harry more than being surrounded by money. He feeds off it and loves spending it. He is also clever enough to work a deal for himself. He is a barrow-boy made good and fair play to him. He knows how to work the system.
He started his managerial career with a 0-9 reverse, so he ain't dun bad overall.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I also support the principle of FFP but the acid tests will be 1. How it's applied to the EPL in a way that is fair to all and doesn't disadvantage English teams vs their continental counterparts, and 2. How the sanctions are applied to clubs that break the rules in the Football League. With regard to 1, the incredible level of foreign investment in the top clubs will have to cease (in theory) which will make them hopelessly uncompetitive with clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund et al - just can't see how it can happen. And regarding 2, as I understand the penalties that could be applied to clubs like QPR they could end up going out of business - is the FL prepared to sanction this? And how do they deal with those clubs who have apparently found a way round the rules (eg Watford, Forest)?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Becoming very obvious that the Football League version of FFP is not going to be enforceable - you can`t let promoted clubs off, and then enforce it on clubs who didn`t get promoted. If it came to court, no judge is going to say thats fair. So IMO theres a good chance the FL FFP will be quietly postponed, pending UEFA getting the Premier League to play ball. Which might happen in 2016/17, or thereagain it might not.

You`d need PL and FL agreement to make an interim solution work, and that isn`t going to happen.

So if I am right, that means nothing really changes. Clubs with super rich suger-daddies will try to buy a place in the PL, which is what`s happening now of course. There won`t be any FFP financial penalty for that behaviour in the next few years. Can`t see it.[/QUOTE

If true, that makes us ........... er.................. mugs, possibly?

Or it means we won't run up a massive debt and Will be able to sustain the club for years to come,?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Everyone I spoke to about who should be the next England manager said Redknapp. And think a lot of people were surprised by the appointment of Hodgson because they hadn't thought of him. I didn't hear anyone saying they think Hodgson should be the next manager, but I also didn't hear many people say he was a bad choice.

Really? your mates hadn't thought of Roy Hodgson former manager of Inter Milan, took Switzerland took the world cup etc but wanted Redknapp (1 FA Cup at great expense to his club)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really? your mates hadn't thought of Roy Hodgson former manager of Inter Milan, took Switzerland took the world cup etc but wanted Redknapp (1 FA Cup at great expense to his club)

Harry for England was a media led campaign and lots of gullible people jumped on the bandwagon imo. His shady background would have ensured he was never going to get the job.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What about taking Spurs from the bottom of the PL to Champions league vs Hodgson who thought Paul Konchesky would be a good signing for Liverpool.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What about taking Spurs from the bottom of the PL to Champions league vs Hodgson who thought Paul Konchesky would be a good signing for Liverpool.

Spurs were in such a false position when Redknapp took over. His squad was certainly not a bottom end of the Premier League squad. Martin Jol had come close to taking Spurs to the Champions League.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
You are Harry Redknapp and I claim my £500.

So your mates like him. Mine, I generally find don't. And as for mates in the media, just look at the response in much of the tabloid press when their old pal Harry didn't get the job! They started making out as though the nation was stunned by Hodgson's appointment, and, even worse, mocking his slight speech impediment.

I'm not sure I've ever seen any of the major newspapers mock Redknapp's less-than-model looks, or his twitching. So why the piss taking of Hodgson?

'You are Harry Redknapp and I claim my £500.' Patronising to be honest but hey.....

You keep alluding to his 'mates in the media' but don't seem to have any actual evidence of who they are. Generally speaking people were suprised that HR didn't get the England job. FWIW I thought RH was a good choice and posted this on the night when the news broke the FA had approached him.

Oh come on are you seriously saying the suns 'woy' headline was driven by an anti RH and pro HR agenda? To me was just tabloids been tabloids. I have seen papers before refer to HRs 'hangdog' appearance before.

You still haven't addressed some of the points I made in my first post on this thread, which to be fair is you're prerogative you don't have but would be out of character for you on here as usually more than willing to dissect various posts.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Generally speaking people were suprised that HR didn't get the England job.

I think people were only surprised because we were constantly told he had the job already. I can't remember speaking to anyone who actually wanted him. I didn't want him for a different reason, I didn't think it would be a good thing for him.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Ok, I will.

This idea of his long list of success is a re-write of history. Granted, he did a decent job at Bournemouth. A promotion on the back of goals from on-loan Jermaine Defoe. But Pompey? FFS, he bankrupted them. There aren't many managers who wouldn't get Pompey to that level with players like Sully Muntari playing for them. He was a total disaster at Southampton and no-one at West Ham has much positive to say about him - he had a golden generation and they were bang average most of the time under Redknapp.

And talking of ignoring things, what about secret foreign bank accounts in his dog's name? You asking for evidence of wrong doing is a bit rich.

Talking of 'ignoring things' that seems to be you!!! No reply to my response to you're 'Bournemouth promoted on the back of Defoe's goals' and West Ham 'bang average' under HR.....

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I just don't like the bloke, I think I'm entitled to my opinion on that.

For what it's worth, the reason he doesn't treat the interviewer like something he scraped from his shoe is because he has most of them in his pocket. They're all on his side because he's ready with a rent-a-quote every time. It's just a big friendly circle, old 'Arry and his mates. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours? That's why there was such a media campaign to have him made England boss. I think the media misread the public mood badly on that one.

Amazing silence to my replies from someone who usually has so much to say.....

Jimmy Grimble

Watching the FLS last night I didn't realise Pompey had Kranjcar as well. Their squad is crazy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here