Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit check

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Can anyone recommend a good free credit check website? I've had the free month trail at experian before. Or is it worth paying the monthly sign up fee?
Thanks
Noodle cost you nothing.

However don't sign up to any credit score schemes, as they are a waste of time.

TB

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I use this company https://www.checkmyfile.com/ they use multiple agencies so you get a very good idea of your real score, Experian only use the one of course.
About £10 a month, I pay 2 monthly now so there is a little reduction.
Very important to have access to these services to check your ID has not been stolen, happens to thousands every year and better you spot it before it gets out of hand.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
'Apparently' having a credit card and paying it off every month in full won't help your rating as it never registered. Better to leave a little bit outstanding every month. (Apparently)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
'Apparently' having a credit card and paying it off every month in full won't help your rating as it never registered. Better to leave a little bit outstanding every month. (Apparently)

That's not the case at all, or certainly for me. On noddle.co.uk I can see my monthly credit card statement amounts going back years and I always pay in full.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

I'm pretty sure that isn't true. I pay mine off in full each month and the credit reports show the monthly balances and confirm that payment was received.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
That's not the case at all, or certainly for me. On noddle.co.uk I can see my monthly credit card statement amounts going back years and I always pay in full.

As I said, apparently! Caught the end of someone (think it was Martin Lewis) on the radio saying this the other day.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Credit checking is utter arse crap and should be abolished

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
So what exactly are you suggesting? That companies shouldn't offer credit? That they should offer credit to everyone without checking their ability to repay?

Why not !!
People defraud the credit check system every hour of the day anyway !
Plus any company you use for a credit check there results are almost completely different from anothers.
Also the check is not on your name it's wether the address has a bad credit rating, so you could move into a house with thousands of pounds of debt attached to it, and not get any credit yourself even though you have no debt.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Why not !!
People defraud the credit check system every hour of the day anyway !
Plus any company you use for a credit check there results are almost completely different from anothers.
Also the check is not on your name it's wether the address has a bad credit rating, so you could move into a house with thousands of pounds of debt attached to it, and not get any credit yourself even though you have no debt.

That is not correct.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes it's is

Intresting,despite countless 39% plus apr credit card offers coming through my door for old residents,who had bad credit,i have a new finance of.......12%..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No, its really not.
Not anymore.

Further it is illegal...only if you have a financial connection to the person at the address,will the consideration be taken..

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

They say they don't give the information to lenders. So, if you apply for Lloyds car insurance or first direct/churchill (RBS owned) all of this insurance information IS accessible AND used.
I recall the unquestionable Experian classing all offset mortgage holders as fraudsters as they classed their hundreds of thousands of debt as unsecured loans....until I pointed this out

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Further it is illegal...only if you have a financial connection to the person at the address,will the consideration be taken..

Incorrect
Same name, same address is the most useful and heavily weighted in scoring systems HOWEVER when data is weak postcode information IS used inc that specific address. It is predictive and helps those, rightly, who can afford to move to say Dyke Road Avenue and reduces the chance of those who live in a rented rundown terrace opposite Selhurst

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The only answer is not to have a credit card....never had one,don't want one,if I want to buy something,I save for it.

Cash for a house!?

There is an old lady who has a credit card, who goes into a shop, writes down the price of what she wants to buy. She then puts the money from her bank account to her credit card to put it into 'credit' for the exact amount and then uses the card to buy it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here