Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crap towns of Britain

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What I have noticed about Newhaven living here for a year is that contrary to opinion it is very friendly people know each other and look after people. It is a community and deserves some care and attention

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
LOL

Actually there were quite a few of us from the metropolis of HH in the Sportsman yesterday. We were in the "Beer Garden":drink:

it is nice outside , but
do you still class "the Sportsman " as a pub ??, more like a restuarant with a bar isnt it ?

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
The Slarde? How very dare you!

Twenty years ago it was an utter shithole. Now its an utter shithole with several nice bits, a half decent pub, eye watering property prices and small children straight out of Posy Simmonds cartoons. The fact that they have to sashay their way through Staffies and mobility scooters just makes it edgy.

The best thing about Portslade is the road out but that pretty grim as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What I have noticed about Newhaven living here for a year is that contrary to opinion it is very friendly people know each other and look after people. It is a community and deserves some care and attention

People still smile and say Good Morning to each other.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We've got a brand new fire station being built and the new college, UTC, which will be good for youngsters who want to study something different from 'media studies'.
I have a lovely home with a fabulous view (sorry [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION]) which isn't spoilt by the incinerator, good transport links and a quiet location. Maybe the new college will help to draw the shopkeepers back in?

I was reading about the new college today, sounds really good.

If I look out of the kitchen window the incinerator is hidden behind a tree. :smile:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was reading about the new college today, sounds really good.

If I look out of the kitchen window the incinerator is hidden behind a tree. :smile:

There are trees planted around the incinerator so in a few years time, it may be hidden completely apart from the chimney.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hailsham, Newhaven, Peacehaven and Portslade would be on my list.

I see you live in Lewes.

Nice town, full of decent pubs and full of interesting buildings.
But i couldn't live there as I haven't got a beard, a funny hat, a pair of Orange trousers or a son called Tarquin. :glare::)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
it is nice outside , but
do you still class "the Sportsman " as a pub ??, more like a restuarant with a bar isnt it ?

I don't know mate. This is a really old thread. I said that TWELVE years ago. :lolol::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe one day you will ascend to righteousness. It will be the best move you could ever make!

Are those angels in your avatar? If so I am concerned you may actually be serious. Of one thing I am certain. There is no god.:shrug:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
;-) , i think it was still ok when you wrote that then ! , have you been back since ?

Yes but not since we left Withdean,

Didn't always go there. We used to pop into the Brewery Tap. Another pub I have not visited in over four years.

Time flies. Nostalgia. It's not what it used to be,

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Never realised this was 12yo thread , thats about 12,000 pubs ago , and "we" had just invaded Iraq after "discovering they had WMD and could use them in 45 minutes" !
and had just drawn 2-2 v swindon at withdean

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Try some of the towns here in Jersey. Make Croydon look like a Mecca of sophistication!

Camden NJ – ‘most dangerous city in the USA’ – springs to mind, I seem to remember that for a while even the police viewed it as a no go zone. Not long after I arrived in NYC I remember that a load of officials were arrested in NJ for money laundering, bribery etc. including, for good measure, a few rabbis for human organ trafficking. Made the corrupt officials you read about in the UK look like a bunch of amateurs by comparison.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
How about floating crap towns?

1507031_10152862855789780_4868533313871127641_n.jpg

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Great idea: some bizarre omissions though. Where are Scunthorpe, Neath, Port Talbot, Newport, Dewsbury and Swindon? South Wales is bizzarely under-represented, Bridgend is there, but that's actually one of the better towns in the area. I'd like to read what they say about the towns but the links all lead to pop-ups that are blank - gues they need to put more effort into the site before they think of publishing.

How do you define the worst anyway? Worst archicture? Fewest facilities? Easiest place to be beaten up? Most pikeys? Most up-their-arse residents? There'd be a different winner for all those categories: how can you compare somewhere like Stockton (which looks like somewhere from eastern Europe) with the concrete monstrosities that are Basildon, Slough, Reading and Swindon? Or a places like Dewsbury or any number of towns in south Wales with places like Richmond that are stuffed full of wankers?

If I had to vote for one, I'd vote for High Wycombe as that town seems to combine most of the features of the above.

Agree there's quite a few to choose from in the Valleys, I'd go for Aberdare, makes Port Talbot look like a Lake District village.

There is an (obviously apocryphal) story of a ceremony to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the end of WW2 in Ebbw Vale where a German bomber pilot was invited. After the proceedings he was asked by a local why, before they bombed their town, they didn't hit Tredegar. as it was on the same flight path The pilot replied that they had considered it, but as they flew over and looked down they thought " someones already done that," so they didn't bother.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I see you live in Lewes.

Nice town, full of decent pubs and full of interesting buildings.
But i couldn't live there as I haven't got a beard, a funny hat, a pair of Orange trousers or a son called Tarquin. :glare::)

I couldn't live there as I haven't got a spare 1/2 a million quid!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here