Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crap towns of Britain

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unbelievably there's not one for Grantham, a place where I spent every summer holiday of my pre teen years as my Gran and Granddad lived there.

The most exciting thing to do in Grantham in the 80's was go to the newly constructed Issac Newton shopping centre where there was a clock. On the hour it would strike, sending a comedy apple on to a statue of Newton's head, prompting the sort of people who still point at aeroplanes to exclaim "t'apples fell".

It had one cinema in the 80's (that's one screen) which looked like a scout hut and was so cutting edge it once showed Mickey's Chrismas Carol at Easter.

Not only that but you can add to the list of crimes the fact that it's where Maggie Thatcher was born and raised.

The last time I went back, mind, the high speed East Coast line was starting to transform it in to a yuppie commuter paradise, purveyors of the crap end of web design. This should have made it even more awful except this time I was over 18 and also noticed it had a couple of very decent pubs which at least puts it above Crawley.

However in my last year in England we were on a train heading to an Away game at Halifax which was called off while we were just pulling out at London. Some of the others decided that Granthams Beazer game would be a good replacement but I wished them luck and turned around at Peterborough with the Tatty Fax man in tow.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Everest said:
Was this written by Safeway about LB?

Town/Village: Bracknell
Amenities:
58 trees
70 Underpasses
No hospitals

I worked for ten terrible months in Bracknell.

Leave him alone :safeway
Branson rules.

More here:

http://www.come.to/bracknell

All tongue-in-cheek and the local council tried to get it shut down. Us Reading lot just find it amusing. Bracknell is a hole!

E.P. Sam

Sep 6, 2003
How can they leave Oldham out?? The filthiest pit I've ever had the misfortune to visit - and I lived in Stoke for three years!

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
I was just getting ready to defend my town when I realised nobody has slagged it off yet. This must be a 1st for Hastings, or is it just taken as read that the boy racers, junkies and paedophiles are spoiling it for us law-abiding murderers?:angel:

Theatre of Trees said:
The Arsegas' discovery of this site and the article it produced is a quality piece of journalism for all the wrong reasons.

Arsegas quality journalism

Reading the above link, it appears the towns defenders are getting the arseache with the books writers. The MP for Hastings thinks there may even be a case for sueing the 'Idler' !! What a twat! The description of that shithole is spot on! How can they be sued when everything they've written is true? :lolol: Glad to see Worthing doesn't merit a mention. :rolleyes:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
oops look's like there is an alliance between Fran and Scotty M:eek:

They are taking on the Haywards Heath Posse :lolol:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Too right! We Hillians stick together!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Fight! Fight! Fight!

(I thought there was a fight smilie?)

Oh well, I'll have to use this one!:kiss:

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
LOL

Actually there were quite a few of us from the metropolis of HH in the Sportsman yesterday. We were in the "Beer Garden":drink:

Heath Park Ranger

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is the Sportsman classed as being in Hurst?

If so, that's still OK - don't ever go to Hurst except to play football on a Sunday morning and besides, Kuipers L.H. comments about HH vs BH wouldn't allow me to slate the place anyway...not that I would of course!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Haywards Heath is lovely, I used to love riding around Beach Hurst on the little train when I was three. And it was a wonderful sight when Hilton's yard went up in flames at the bottom of my garden!!

Pick on Crawley instead!!!

Crap Town/Village: Crawley

Rome wasn't built in a day - but Crawley was. Temporary dumping ground for bombed out cockneys - a selection of post-war municipal shantytowns have congealed around the diverse selection of roundabouts. Each shantytown has its own pub, where you can be stared at for free.

The best thing about Crawley is that it's good old-fashioned Labour voting urban blight, sticking two fingers to the rest of toffee-nosed Telegraph reading Tory West Sussex.

The reassuring thuggery of the locals is exported via an 'axis of evil' - i.e. the train to Horsham - where the Crawley 'scum' duff up and rob the Horsham 'snobs'. It has been so since 1947.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
brighton!hardly a bad word to say, apart from the odd bitter londoner!:salute:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Sambo said:
Quote from the site:
Go to Brighton, have a laugh by all means. But it isn't the Mecca of English cool. Ok??

whats all that about?? ?? ??

Have to admit that quote i feel sums up Brighton too a tee, Brightom is a great place to have a laugh but the bit about English cool is right how many of these London media types fit that bracket, sitting in these so called trendy Bistros etc etc

I can see what the bloke writing that is getting at.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Guinness Boy said:
Unbelievably there's not one for Grantham, a place where I spent every summer holiday of my pre teen years as my Gran and Granddad lived there.

The most exciting thing to do in Grantham in the 80's was go to the newly constructed Issac Newton shopping centre where there was a clock. On the hour it would strike, sending a comedy apple on to a statue of Newton's head, prompting the sort of people who still point at aeroplanes to exclaim "t'apples fell".

It had one cinema in the 80's (that's one screen) which looked like a scout hut and was so cutting edge it once showed Mickey's Chrismas Carol at Easter.

Not only that but you can add to the list of crimes the fact that it's where Maggie Thatcher was born and raised.

The last time I went back, mind, the high speed East Coast line was starting to transform it in to a yuppie commuter paradise, purveyors of the crap end of web design. This should have made it even more awful except this time I was over 18 and also noticed it had a couple of very decent pubs which at least puts it above Crawley.

However in my last year in England we were on a train heading to an Away game at Halifax which was called off while we were just pulling out at London. Some of the others decided that Granthams Beazer game would be a good replacement but I wished them luck and turned around at Peterborough with the Tatty Fax man in tow.

Basically, individuals have sent in their pieces on various towns, so why don;t you add this piece about Grantham. I wrote the entry on Peacehaven.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Having spent a year on and off living in Northampton, I'd like to recomend it as a place to avoid. For cyclists, there are no cycle lanes, and pot holes everywhere. The tarmac has peeled off the back streets I use as a short cut, and there are bare bricks and concrete. The park by the Nene on the west side is full of Russians swigging tins of hi test lager at ten in the morning, while their kids run riot and their fighting dogs crap everywhere. The traffic is a nightmare, with one road running north to south, and idiots revving up 24 7. There is litter everywhere, abandoned supermarket trollies up the alleyways and fly tipping in our car park. There are wierd churches inviting us to ascend to rightousness. It is a hateful place, and the sooner we move the better.

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
I've worked all over the country and for me its Barrow. When I went there the weather was apocalyptic and it really feels like the end of the earth. High percentage of shops were boarded up, just awful.
Special mention to Corby, Skelmersdale and Scotland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here