Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] COVIDIOTS hot spots

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If you've spent all year waiting to see your close friends and family and this is the first day it's been legal and fit to do it, and you get to the park and find it's a bit crowded, what are you going to do? Try and find a space? Or turn round and go home and say "there's always next year"? If Nottingham council doesn't provide enough open spaces for the current needs, then the answer isn't to close the limited spaces they do provide.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Still, the 'Rule of 6' is going well on Woodhouse Moor in Leeds, anyway...

View attachment 135457

Admittedly that's a lot closer to the city centre, and in the middle of university-land, but this was my local park 5 minutes ago.

pk.JPG

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But how many of them were wearing #FreeBenWhite t-shirts?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Shame on the government for not making wearing masks in supermarkets etc. compulsory (no exceptions. No mask? Get somebody else too do or deliver your shopping) with criminal convictions for non-compliance.
Supermarkets would be possible, but most of what you would cover by "etc" probably wouldn't. Deaf people accompanied by lip readers would still need haircuts, doctors visits, and so on. Obviously in your ideal world deaf pensioners would not be allowed out full stop, but then, I suspect you aren't the sort of person whose shopping trip is literally the only excursion you can have in winter. My apologies if I'm wrong.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Supermarkets would be possible, but most of what you would cover by "etc" probably wouldn't. Deaf people accompanied by lip readers would still need haircuts, doctors visits, and so on. Obviously in your ideal world deaf pensioners would not be allowed out full stop, but then, I suspect you aren't the sort of person whose shopping trip is literally the only excursion you can have in winter. My apologies if I'm wrong.

They shouldn't be getting haircuts - hairdressers have been legally off-limits for months. As a half deaf pensioner myself, pretty much my only trips this winter have been to the supermarket for a top up if I run out of something before my next delivery is due - and that's been pretty rare.
Doctors/hospital appointments are pre-arranged, and doubtless special arrangements can be and are arranged for deaf people needing to be accompanied by a lip reader.
Obviously, as above, there will be specific occasions when an exemption can be granted. The real problem, though, was the floppy haired libertarian including 'if it makes you feel very uncomfortable' in the list of mask wearing exemptions!

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
We will have lockdown 3 before the summers out, too many idiots in this country https://twitter.com/E_Beardmore/status/1377140682490474496

I do agree with other comments that the risk of transmission is low outdoors so we could just turn a blind eye but the point is the risk is far higher indoors, so if we allow this to happen at the first unlocking then how will people behave come 17th May when most indoor venues reopen?? Then you may possibly see a massive spike in transmission, the government and authorities need to show that people absolutely must stick to the rules now so people heed the rules when further unlocking happens otherwise we may well be in lockdown 3 at some point before the year is out.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
They shouldn't be getting haircuts - hairdressers have been legally off-limits for months. As a half deaf pensioner myself, pretty much my only trips this winter have been to the supermarket for a top up if I run out of something before my next delivery is due - and that's been pretty rare.
Doctors/hospital appointments are pre-arranged, and doubtless special arrangements can be and are arranged for deaf people needing to be accompanied by a lip reader.
Obviously, as above, there will be specific occasions when an exemption can be granted. The real problem, though, was the floppy haired libertarian including 'if it makes you feel very uncomfortable' in the list of mask wearing exemptions!
The mask protocol has been in for a year or so now, during much of that time hairdressers have been open. I am very happy for you that being so thoroughly locked down hasn't impacted your mental health. I know of other people who it has.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I made up my mind a while ago that a substantial minority don’t care, you can only try to protect yourself and your friends and family. I ignore those who don’t wear masks now, or leave an ocean of rubbish behind in parks etc and just do my level best to avoid such people and places. It’s a shame but that’s the society we live in. Disposable plastics. Disposable people. And a good number can’t tell the difference and really don’t care. It’s not their fault, broken families, poor dna (aka shite for brains) and abysmal role models all contributing factors as the pandemic has highlighted.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
While I don't condone those idiots going on a maskless shopping trip, there will have to come a point where we either trust the vaccine or we don't. That might not be right now but it will come soon and people are going to have to stop being scared and get back to normal life.
From what I've seen in my area of W. Sussex, nothing has changed since Monday. Still the same amount of people gathering outside. Open Up is coming. On the 12th pub gardens open, gyms open, barbers open. If the vaccine holds, and there is no reason it shouldn't. there won't be another wave or lockdown. Life is returning to normal. Embrace it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I trust the vaccine and indeed since having mine I've gone back into a supermarket for the first time in 6 months because I trust it. However I also respect the rules enough to wear a mask while doing it, if only to make other people feel safer.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If you've spent all year waiting to see your close friends and family and this is the first day it's been legal and fit to do it, and you get to the park and find it's a bit crowded, what are you going to do? Try and find a space? Or turn round and go home and say "there's always next year"? If Nottingham council doesn't provide enough open spaces for the current needs, then the answer isn't to close the limited spaces they do provide.

I can agree with that but it doesn't excuse the mess they leave behind for someone else to clear up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
While I don't condone those idiots going on a maskless shopping trip, there will have to come a point where we either trust the vaccine or we don't. That might not be right now but it will come soon and people are going to have to stop being scared and get back to normal life.
From what I've seen in my area of W. Sussex, nothing has changed since Monday. Still the same amount of people gathering outside. Open Up is coming. On the 12th pub gardens open, gyms open, barbers open. If the vaccine holds, and there is no reason it shouldn't. there won't be another wave or lockdown. Life is returning to normal. Embrace it.

Essentially the lockdown easing 'roadmap' is trying to lay out where that point is (June 21st, basically with some carrots between now and then) - it might be too fast, it might be too slow (only hindsight will tell us) - but at least it's been thought through, based on expected effect of vaccines etc so we should stick to it. After over a year of this shit another few weeks, with a degree of relaxation (we've got friends coming for dinner - outdoors - tonight), shouldn't be beyond the patience of the vast majority.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

The re-introduction of the 'The Rule of Six' always makes me feel slightly depressed. Not because of fears of Covid but because it's generally 5 more than I can fill.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From what I've seen in my area of W. Sussex, nothing has changed since Monday. Still the same amount of people gathering outside. Open Up is coming. On the 12th pub gardens open, gyms open, barbers open. If the vaccine holds, and there is no reason it shouldn't. there won't be another wave or lockdown. Life is returning to normal. Embrace it.[/QUOTE]

I have my own views on masks and effectiveness but you have stated some very important points which I hope we all agree on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here