Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] COVID jab?

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
It’s strange how they decide what vaccines to give. I was given the Pfizer one at Portslade health centre. My daughter in law, lives in Shoreham, but was vaccinated at the Brighton Centre, was given the Astra Zeneca one, as did her parents at the Durrington health centre.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It is. East Sussex was way behind other areas with vaccines. Hailsham in particular.

Where did you hear that pls? My parents ‘main’ docs is Hailsham...!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where did you hear that pls? My parents ‘main’ docs is Hailsham...!

My 91 year old mother in a care home was only vaccinated at the end of January. Hailsham was mentioned several times on the Covid and vaccine threads.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My 91 year old mother in a care home was only vaccinated at the end of January. Hailsham was mentioned several times on the Covid and vaccine threads.

That’s not great as know a lot of people registered around there... Fingers crossed they speed it up...!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Same here - mild asthma all my life - blue and brown inhalers daily.

Initially i was expecting a March call up (early for my age) but I think that unless you have severe asthma then asthmatics are not treated as a special case.:vuvu:

This doesn't seem to be true. My son, who's 17, received a text today and has booked his vaccine for next week. He has exactly the same prescription as me so, not only are they being treated as a special case, it looks like age is no longer a factor in determining priority. It's clearly not down to availability at the GP practice, we share a GP.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
FFS my 75yo mum was supposed to have hers on Friday but they are now not vaccinating anybody in Bexhill until 26 Feb, WTF under 50's get it in West Sussex - funny now the 15m target has been hit the rules are changing

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I got a text from my GP yesterday inviting me to book in at one of their centres, I'm younger than the OP and don't have any underlying conditions. Mrs Orange was highly suspicious that it might be a scam, but it all checked out, and now I just have to pop into town tomorrow to get stabbed in the arm.

I can only assume that each practice is charged with dealing with their patients in priority order, which I guess means mine has gotten through all the old-duffers already :D

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can only assume that each practice is charged with dealing with their patients in priority order, which I guess means mine has gotten through all the old-duffers already :D

But that's clearly not the case: my teenage son gets one before 64-year-old me, suggesting that each practice can determine any order that they like.

(I should stress that I'm not upset that my son is before me, I'm glad he's going to be offered protection, I'm just bemused because it flies in the face that everything that the government has said about priorities)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
But that's clearly not the case: my teenage son gets one before 64-year-old me, suggesting that each practice can determine any order that they like.

(I should stress that I'm not upset that my son is before me, I'm glad he's going to be offered protection, I'm just bemused because it flies in the face that everything that the government has said about priorities)

It is certainly a bit baffling - I'm not sure my Dad has had his first jab yet either, but he is in a different part of Surrey to me.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Two of my friends (both mid 50s, with no underlying health issues) had theirs yesterday - simple text message inviting them to book in...

Both are at the same Doctor's Surgery as me - and are 4 years younger than me - but both having surnames beginning with 'B'

It looks like it's not just postcode but also what your surname is!

Good news is that where I live appear to be well ahead of schedule.....

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Today I received my invite for the vaccination next Thursday our NHS are fantastic beyond words

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It looks like it's not just postcode but also what your surname is!

That's not true for my son though, his surname is behind mine in alphabetical order :lolol:

It really does seem weird.

A friend of mine has just told me that his daughter (27 with no underlying health issues) has had hers. So, perhaps the emphasis has now shifted to youth - which makes a lot of sense as they're probably mixing more. That's not the message coming from the government though but then they've made such a pig's ear of messages througout the pandemic, this should be of no surprise.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's really depressing if they have abandoned their target of getting all category 7-9's done by the end of April in favour of doing others outside the priority groupings. :nono:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Are you both at the same surgery? If so I’d definitely be having a word as it would appear they have contacted the wrong patient!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's not true for my son though, his surname is behind mine in alphabetical order :lolol:

It really does seem weird.

A friend of mine has just told me that his daughter (27 with no underlying health issues) has had hers. So, perhaps the emphasis has now shifted to youth - which makes a lot of sense as they're probably mixing more. That's not the message coming from the government though but then they've made such a pig's ear of messages througout the pandemic, this should be of no surprise.

I'm not sure Boris and Matt are sending out the invitations personally, not even to their most ardent supporters.

Isn't it the case that vaccination priority is being set by politically-independent JCVI?

From there the instructions cascade down into regional health authorities and then, subsequently, GP practices. There's plenty of opportunity for mistakes to happen that have absolutely nothing to do with the government, although I guess it won't stop some trying to lay blame at their door, as ever.

A lot of people are working bloody hard to try and keep people healthy - human error will happen on occasion.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I

Isn't it the case that vaccination priority is being set by politically-independent JCVI?.

If that's the case then the government should say so

This is what the government has on its website
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...id-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups

That's why I'm saying that the messaging is confused. Either, there's a priority list according to age OR individual GPs or vaccine centres can vaccinate who they see fit to

Those are two completely different approaches.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If that's the case then the government should say so

This is what the government has on its website
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...id-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups

That's why I'm saying that the messaging is confused. Either, there's a priority list according to age OR individual GPs or vaccine centres can vaccinate who they see fit to

Those are two completely different approaches.

I've heard/read about JCVI being behind the prioritisation process numerous times since the vaccines became available.

You seem to have missed that, but the page you like to does have a prominent link: "Further detailed information on priority groups is available in the COVID-19 Green Book, chapter 14a."

If you follow that, as you do seem to want more information, you can read stuff like:

"The objectives of the COVID-19 immunisation programme is to protect those who are at highest risk from serious illness or death. The Joint Committee of Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) have set out a prioritisation for persons at risk. JCVI ranked the eligible groups according to risk, largely based on prevention of COVID-19-specific mortality."

As I said above, I've received an invitation and I'm not sure I should. But the decision to send me an invite will have been made somewhere a bit more local than 10 Downing Street.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here