Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] COVID jab?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It does seem strange. I'm a 64-year-old asthmatic and not had an invite but I know people younger than I am, with no underlying health conditions who have had theirs. My mother, who's nearly 91, only had hers last week so it does seem a bit random.

I was wondering where I'd be placed as an asthmatic.

I get invites for the flu jab, which I'd ignored until this past winter when I took it up, which I assume is based on me being an asthmatic - I've never asked to check.

Listening to 5Live this morning when out with the dog, I heard a question put to someone from JCVI who explained that asthmatics are NOT seen as a risk-group from Covid as they are from the flu and, as such, are not prioritised based on that. Asthmatics will be treated as anyone else, ie other risks and age etc.

Seemed to make sense to me - apparently there are 7m asthmatics in the UK and prioritising all of those would mean some who are at higher risk would have to wait longer.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would expect lots of differences across age groups/regions etc as at the incredible rates the NHS are rolling this out, you would expect significant differences. The bookings for all over 65's at the Brighton centre is excellent news (if not for youngsters like myself).

When did the first large numbers of vaccines start, because I'm guessing that must be coming up for 12 weeks ago, so there will be the added complication of getting people back for their second ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How are people invited? Text? Phone call? I have no idea. Surely not through the post?
Text. I also got a letter telling me to ignore this letter if I'd already had a text!

So, text or letter, likely to be genuine, and if your surgery phones you, I'd be prepared to accept that as OK too. Email - dodgy; I had one which looked absolutely genuine. I started filling in the questions (address, DoB etc.) but smelt a rat and pulled out sharpish when asked for my card details for a booking fee!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How are people invited? Text? Phone call? I have no idea. Surely not through the post?

How would you suggest the elderly are contacted who are far less likely to have a mobile phone let alone text and have been told for years never to answer the phone to a number that is withheld or they don't recognise to protect them from scams.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

I got a text which contained a phone number and a website so I checked the phone number in google and it came up with the Langley House Surgery in Chichester. I then booked online :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I get invites for the flu jab, which I'd ignored until this past winter when I took it up, which I assume is based on me being an asthmatic - I've never asked to check.

Listening to 5Live this morning when out with the dog, I heard a question put to someone from JCVI who explained that asthmatics are NOT seen as a risk-group from Covid as they are from the flu and, as such, are not prioritised based on that. Asthmatics will be treated as anyone else, ie other risks and age etc.

Seemed to make sense to me - apparently there are 7m asthmatics in the UK and prioritising all of those would mean some who are at higher risk would have to wait longer.

That does make sense. I'm one of those who gets an annual flu jab and the blue and brown inhalers but nothing else.
I hadn't realised there were 7m of us.

Probably have a couple more months to wait then

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I’m sure you know, you can now ring his GP to get him vaccinated. They’re doing a mop up of anyone who’s been missed.

I have called them to be fair and was told that there were some delays getting to all housebound people. They said he will be contacted soon, so not overly worried as ultimately being housebound means he's less likely to pick it up from anyone outside.

What irks me most is the Government insisting that everyone in the top 4 groups has been offered a vaccine by now :

"Everyone in the top four groups has had a jab offer and 15 million people have had a first dose, the government says."

This is demonstrably not true. I'm confident my 85 year old father will be done soon but I know of 3 other elderly people in his road who havent been called or written to yet. I know this because my wife and I are involved in the local food bank deliveries and we speak to several elderly residents each week when delivering food parcels.

His GP says he will be visited soon (and thats absolutely fine, he is more than happy to wait) but will the Government stop telling porkies that everyone has been contacted as it just isn't true.

UPDATE for the record - he has just had a phone call saying he will be visited on 25th Feb. Sorted.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I’m the same. Don’t want priority tbh but if invited earlier I’d go obviously. Does seem they’re gonna surprise everyone and have the majority vaccinated with first jab by May - that’s my guess.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have called them to be fair and was told that there were some delays getting to all housebound people. They said he will be contacted soon, so not overly worried as ultimately being housebound means he's less likely to pick it up from anyone outside.

What irks me most is the Government insisting that everyone in the top 4 groups has been offered a vaccine by now :

"Everyone in the top four groups has had a jab offer and 15 million people have had a first dose, the government says."

This is demonstrably not true. I'm confident my 85 year old father will be done soon but I know of 3 other elderly people in his road who havent been called or written to yet. I know this because my wife and I are involved in the local food bank deliveries and we speak to several elderly residents each week when delivering food parcels.

His GP says he will be visited soon (and thats absolutely fine, he is more than happy to wait) but will the Government stop telling porkies that everyone has been contacted as it just isn't true.

UPDATE for the record - he has just had a phone call saying he will be visited on 25th Feb. Sorted.

Sorry for you to have been missed - but there will always be a % who are - think when they say ‘everyone’ there’s gonna be several hundred or thousand exceptions - possibly where local errors have meant they were missed. Not the governments fault I doubt - for once...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Slightly tangential, I suspect all invites are coming via individual local GP surgeries - if you're not registered at a GP practice, presumably no invite?
This would mean all illegal immigrants won't get a vaccine as thy will want to stay off-radar.
Interesting scenarios if any of these folk get a serious bout of Covid

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Scrap all that - just had a text to book.

No idea why - asthma is the only condition I can think of, and that seemed to be discounted from what I heard this morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here