Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Covers that are better than the original.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Got to agree that Happy Mondays version of Step On pisses all over the original. Georgie Fame's version of Sunny is the definitive version and Chris Farlowe can turn any song into absolute gold. His version of Handbags and Gladrags is a superb version but even better is his version of Out Of Time. The Damned made Elouise so so much better and I think (in my humble opinion) that Calexico's version of Alone Again Or is better than the original (sacrilege I know).

Sinead's Nothing Compares.. is, of course, the best version as is her version of Elton John's Sacrifice. Is Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah better than John Cale's or Leonard Cohen's? I'd say yes....just. Beth Orton's version of I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine from her first album is hauntingly beautiful but for me the greatest cover versions ever are these 2:

I'll not take any prisoners in arguing that Sammy Davis Jr's version of Mr Bojangles is the only version worth having. The rest are mere shadows of this, Sammy's opus.

[yt]SMcfUjIguSs[/yt]

and St Etienne - Only Love Can Break Your Heart. I fell in love with St Etienne (YYYYEEEEESSSSSSS -- Brighton 1-0 UP GET IN THERE). This is the Richard X Remix from a year or two

[yt]pnQChL9V88g[/yt]

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Marvin Gaye's cover of " I Heard It Through The Grapevine " pisses all over Gladys Knight's original version.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
[yt]DUR5uu8tOh8[/yt]

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
[yt]aszIgThW8JA[/yt]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Driving home from Southampton Dave Cash played the original of Hound Dog later covered by Elvis and Whole Lotta Shaking Goin On covered by Jerry Lee Lewis and neither original was as good as the covers.

"Summer Breeze" by the Isley Brothers is better than the original Seals and Crofts version which coincidentally was played on the Simon Mayo Show at teatime.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I really like Dolly's original, so not sure this is better as such, but I do love this....

[yt]sUBRLkCslcg[/yt]

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Leona Lewis?
No! She ruined a wonderful song with her screeching and wailing.

Also, debatably - although sung in two very different styles - Pixie Lott's cover of Use Somebody (Originally by the Kings of Leon):

Ooft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here