Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Cover versions that should never have seen the light of day

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
An unforgettable appearance on Top Of The Pops helped to get this to number 22 in the charts. :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anything slowed down and given an added 'Millennium warble' to make gullible kids think there is emotion involved.

Yes, I'd say that's the fault with most awful cover versions. I'd say that in at least 95% of cases, slowing down a track never works,

The only two songs that I can think of that have genuinely been improved after being slowed are John Cale's Heartbreak Hotel and Portishead's SOS. And that's because the lyrics lent themselves to being slowed. I'm sure there are other exceptions but, in my experience, not many.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wild Horses by Susan Boyle, unlistenable after growing up with the Stones version

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
David Bowie’s version of the Beatles’ Across The Universe. I yield to nobody in my admiration of Space Face, but this was a dreadful assassination of a song that was never one of the Fabs’ best anyway. As a critic wrote at the time, it probably seemed like a good idea while everyone in the studio was zapped out of their heads on white powder, but should have been quietly erased the next day. As later cds with bonus tracks have proved, there were far better original songs recorded in the same sessions that didn’t make it onto the original vinyl.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
David Bowie’s version of the Beatles’ Across The Universe. I yield to nobody in my admiration of Space Face, but this was a dreadful assassination of a song that was never one of the Fabs’ best anyway. As a critic wrote at the time, it probably seemed like a good idea while everyone in the studio was zapped out of their heads on white powder, but should have been quietly erased the next day. As later cds with bonus tracks have proved, there were far better original songs recorded in the same sessions that didn’t make it onto the original vinyl.

What a sacrilegious post. Across the Universe was a sublime masterpiece, probably Lennon's best creation. Hang your head in shame.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I loved Madonna's American Pie. No attempt to carbon copy the original, as some artists so often and utterly pointlessly try to do. And I suspect she also took some naughty pleasure in upsetting the "purists" by choosing to cover such a classic.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sid's version of My Way is an abomination

We normally see eye to eye about music, but I have to take exception to this. I swear that at one point he sings the line: "You c***, I'm not a queer". What's not to like? I have been know to do a karaoke version of this when drunk. It's not a patch on another cover of a silimar vein that's just sprung to mind though....one for the other thread.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
If you want musical blasphemy, look no further than Whigfield and Last Christmas.

Should have been jailed for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here