Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Coventry kicked out of stadium

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Coventry City have been issued with an eviction notice by the new owners of the Coventry Building Society Arena.

Former Newcastle owner Mike Ashley's Frasers Group took over the stadium last month after buying its three former operating companies.
They say the Championship club has no continuing right to use the ground.

Club officials were informed on Friday they must return keys and access cards and an FA Youth Cup game on Saturday was switched to Leamington.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Coventry sent to Coventry.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Surprised Christian Horner hasn't persuaded Red Bull from buying the club

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Disgraceful. Ashley just playing games with the new owners to get them to stump up a bigger price for the stadium presumably?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What's the point of owning a stadium if you have no-one to play in the stadium?
One could possibly assume that Ashley is interested in buying Coventry City and in some bizarre way this is one way of holding all the cards, at a knocked down price somehow.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Some Derby fans were supportive of Ashley's bid for the club. Thank buggery that it was not successful.
Maybe this is an aggressive re-negotiation tactic.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Disgraceful. Ashley just playing games with the new owners to get them to stump up a bigger price for the stadium presumably?
Harsh considering we don't have all the facts. Maybe Coventry are currently not paying what is considered the market rate?

Reactions: abc

Jul 7, 2003
Harsh considering we don't have all the facts. Maybe Coventry are currently not paying what is considered the market rate?
"Frasers do not believe they are bound by the previous licence agreement with the stadium's former owners" - considering the sale only went through three weeks ago, seems very fast to have been through the licence, had discussions and then got hold of an eviction notice.

For someone who says he is a football fan, this is pretty low. I have friends and relatives who are Coventry fans and they really have been through the ringer over the last few years. While they didn't want Ashley involved they were hopeful that he might at least be a useful ally.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Frasers do not believe they are bound by the previous licence agreement with the stadium's former owners" - considering the sale only went through three weeks ago, seems very fast to have been through the licence, had discussions and then got hold of an eviction notice.

For someone who says he is a football fan, this is pretty low. I have friends and relatives who are Coventry fans and they really have been through the ringer over the last few years. While they didn't want Ashley involved they were hopeful that he might at least be a useful ally.
That's all fair enough, but how do we know CCFC haven't been approached about a rent raise and ignorantly dismissed it out of hand - leaving Ashley no alternative? I'm not saying that's what happened, just that the full facts aren't being presented.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Does it? Days work at most.
Big question is why did Coventry only have a licence and not something a bit more secure. Coventry has been a lesson in mismanagement for years and you have to feel for their fans. Who knows what Ashley’s end game is

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Cov is just up the road from me and it's all a bit - well, very - complicated. SISU have owned Cov for years but recently sold - i think it still needs to be signed off - to a guy called Doug King. Doug may or may not have something to do with SISU depending on who you believe. He also wanted to buy the stadium but was told his bid was too late. The stadium meanwhile was bought by our friend and yours Big Fat Mike. The suggestion is that this is some sort of business chess - albeit draughts is probably more BFM's style - between BFM and Doug regarding ownership of the club. If you believe that, this is Ashley's way of forcing a sale to him albeit given his business previous I'm not neccessarily convinced by.

Either way, The Coventry licence to use was with Wasps who are now bust, so i'd imagine it is legal what he has done. Whatever way you cut it, it's bad if you are a Coventry fan.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Either - a massive Sports Direct superstore or more likely housing.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Other bits of local gossip are that "the stadium needs 20 million quids worth of work on it which is why he got it so cheap" and "the council have agreed that Mike can knock it down in a deal behind the scenes" and god only knows where a future wasps fit into this. One of the money men behind Wasps used to drink in my local but has understandably gone missing when me and the dog go for a pint and a bag of crisps

It makes the sale of the Goldstone seem straightforward in comparison. Personal view is that Cov is in the middle of a fight between 2 sith lords. Whoever wins won't be giving away free beer.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
No doubt an NSC expert will enlighten me, so did Coventry sell Highfield Road for development and then 'rent' the Ricoh (as was) in the same the Hammers do with the Olympic Stadium?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here