Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry city to play at Sixfields for 'home' games

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Is this a long term plan for owner's either UK or OTHERWISE to take control of English football Lock,stock and barrel.

SkyBlues

Jul 4, 2013
Coventry
Hi All

Just dropped in to thank you for your support on our sorry situation.

All this started when we moved to the Ricoh. No one wanted to go, it was all the idea of Bryan Richardson, probably the single worst chairman in our history, though the current one, Tim Fisher is a close second.

When a deal was struck for the Ricoh we were fairly confident of returning to the Promised Land and our rent was set accordingly by ACL (Arena Coventry Limited), a joint venture company consisting of a local charity and Coventry City Council. The rent of £1.2M a year saw us having a break even figure of 23K for every home match; something we never achieved on a regular basis. As we slipped down the Championship and last year into L1 it was obvious to all that something had to be done about the rent. ACL had taken advantage for long enough and while I agree that we had to do something, to withhold the rent was the wrong way to go about it. Now, a year later, the relationship between SISU and ACL has totally broken down and there seems little chance of a deal being struck. Personally, I blame ACL as much as I blame SISU, but I am in the minority. Most City fans just take the easy option and blame the owners.

Today's news of a possible (well probable) groundshare with Northampton Town was devastating to all City fans. Very few of us are travelling, myself included and that's going to be bloody hard. I've been a STH for around 20 years. However, it's the principle.

We are now in the lap of the Gods, or the Football League, who I hope will do the decent thing and refuse to sanction SISUs plans. I don't think they'll have the balls though.

Anyway, thanks again for the support and please help us out by emailing enquiries@football-league.co.uk FAO: Greg Clarke
Use these on Twitter: #sisuout #notonepennymore #ccfc #skyblues #pusb

Cheers

Feb 14, 2010
Good luck Coventry. Seems like they will tread a similar rod to us. I hope that at the end Coventry fans get the same result as us and then their fans can look back with a similar amount of pride that I feel as a Brighton fan who did their bit in the protests and profile raising. How we stood by the Albion will always be for me better than any trophy. Fans United in Coventry / Northampton then.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
S.I.S.U OUT !!
Save Coventry City FC !!
Fans united will never be defeated !!!

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I work with a few Coventry fans, and none of them are prepared to go to Northampton. Most of them blame SISU for the problems, but I think both parties are at fault. In the end the only solution is for SISU to go, for the owners of the club and stadium to become the same company (somehow) and then the club might be able to make a go of it without having to pay any rent at the stadium.

At the moment it looks as if the stadium owners might get another team in, and start again from the non-league: that's what some fans think will happen. But if they follow the same rent cost system they will fail again with that. The rent model just doesn't work.

Maybe SISU will get it together to build a new stadium somewhere in Coventry. It will be much smaller than the Ricoh, but it could give the team a chance of existing successfully financially. But will the team last the three (and probably more) years exile? I doubt it, but then I also remember coach trips to Gillingham, and unbelievably we survived that nightmare.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

I can't see them winning that case as they won't have a contract / agreement with Northampton which states that they arn't allowed to offer Coventry the use of their ground as a place to ground share. It seems a desperate move by the owners of the Ricoh arena as they know that they can't sue Coventry football club because they will be forced out of business and can''t pay compensation or ever use their ground again (so lost future earnings) so it's against their interest to pursue them. Its bound to fail so i doubt it will even reach court.

All in all it's a sad situation and I hope Coventry can survive all this and be able to play in Coventry again as soon as possible.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Coventry fans are marching on the Football League tomorrow at 4pm to protest about being moved to Northampton. Other fans are invited to join them.

http://fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/coventry-city-fans-march-on-football-league-hq

Coventry City fans will march on the Football League’s HQ tomorrow to protest at the decision to rubber stamp the club’s move to Northampton.

The event is being organised by the Keep Cov in Cov campaign.

Organisers have stressed that the protest will be peaceful and have appealed for supporters from other clubs to join them.

Campaign co-ordinator Michael Orton says, “Coventry City FC was founded in Coventry 130 years ago and Coventry has always been our home.

“A hedgefund has decided to rip CCFC out of its home city and community, ripping up our heritage and identity, and sounding the death knell for the club – and the Football League just says ‘yes’!”.

“If Coventry City can be relocated so ‘home’ games involve a 70-mile trip what will it take for the Football League ever to say ‘no’ to an owner?”

Football League rule 13.4 (Section 4) states that clubs will “not generally” be allowed to groundshare outside the “conurbation…from which the Club takes its name or with which it is otherwise traditionally associated.”

Keep Cov in Cov say supporters will meet outside Football League HQ (30 Gloucester Place, London, W1U 8FL) on Thursday 18th July at 4pm.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Great effort yesterday,over 7,000 fans at Mk dons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here