Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry City being Liquidated?? (Merged Thread)

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
A pre pack is possible only from administration. Liquidation is the end, there is no way back. Football clubs have a Houdini way of avoiding closing down completely but it has happened (Newport for example) and I can't see how it can be avoided in this case with Coventry Newco restarting in Mickey League and working upwards a la AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester (albeit circumstances slightly different).

Would mean another team gets promoted to League One (is it Northampton as PO losers or Burton as 4th?) and one more into League 2. Guess League will want to avoid this now, so will probably stitch up a compromise that means Cov will be relegated.

The easiest way to deal with it this season would be to make all Coventry games a walkover for their opponents. 3 points to everyone. Non-existent Coventry finish bottom. Promote an extra team to the Conference next season and everyone shuffles up one.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What have the stadium owners achieved by blocking the CVA? All they have done is end up with a football stadium with no football team, and a local population that will likely refuse to ever step in the place again.

I saw they were trying to get the decision to let them play in Northampton overturned as they believe it breached the Football League's own rules. They seem to have cut their own noses off.
They were owed £590k , the creditors might be lucky in getting back half a pence in the £.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
A pre pack is possible only from administration. Liquidation is the end, there is no way back. Football clubs have a Houdini way of avoiding closing down completely but it has happened (Newport for example) and I can't see how it can be avoided in this case with Coventry Newco restarting in Mickey League and working upwards a la AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester (albeit circumstances slightly different).

Would mean another team gets promoted to League One (is it Northampton as PO losers or Burton as 4th?) and one more into League 2. Guess League will want to avoid this now, so will probably stitch up a compromise that means Cov will be relegated.

Imagine being Northampton and hours before thinking your playing in one league you'll play in another!

Surley it is too late in the day to promote Northampton/Wrexham up through the leagues. Fixtures etc have already been released and most likely travel arrangements made.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Totally agree. There is absolutely no serious scrutiny of ownership or regulation of club behaviour. It is a scandal that chancres such as SISU and the mob that ruined Pompey are allowed anywhere near a boardroom.
What about Abramovich, who has accumulated obscene wealth by basically robbing his own countrymen? Or those arab jokers at Man City, highly esteemed in a country where human rights abuses are rife. Or the Glazers, who has bought the club with someone elses money (what debt did he saddle them with?) and creams off obsene profits beyond servicing the debt. And was it Leicester who were taken over by a Thai group who it transpires were wanted for tax evasion at home? It goes on and on and on.

Sick of the FA. Sick of them ruining the game at a time when there ought to be plenty of money to go round, and have some left over to invest in the future of the game, preferably one where the national team is not absolutely shìt on their watch.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The easiest way to deal with it this season would be to make all Coventry games a walkover for their opponents. 3 points to everyone. Non-existent Coventry finish bottom. Promote an extra team to the Conference next season and everyone shuffles up one.

The FL wouldn't do that , their preferred solution is to have League 1 as a 23 club division for the season. Takes away all the hassle of relegating and promoting sides elsewhere in the league structure.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think I have got my head around this now.

Coventry City Football Club is not being liquidated, and therefore are free to play their fixture tomorrow. However CCFC Ltd, which owns a large percentage of the football club are being liquidated. As a result, the Football Club will receive a large points deduction, but are still an entity.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Coventry City FC Ltd to be liquidated

Coventry City Football Club Ltd are set to be liquidated after a Company Voluntary Agreement was rejected at a creditors' meeting in London.

CCFC Ltd, who went into administration in March, is just one of the companies that make up the club.

The Sky Blues are still expected to begin their League One season at Crawley on Saturday.

However, the club face being deducted a minimum of 15 points by the Football League.

One of the companies, maybe this is the key bit??

ACL and SISU and possibly sister companies are all entwined in a web.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Coventry City Council THROUGH Arena Coventry REJECTED the CVA - so because of the council, the city just lost its football club - pathetic.

Are you part of SISU by any chance? They are as much at fault for this situation as the stadium owners.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Surely all Coventry have to do is whine about how the fa are trying to screw them, and that they've been punished enough by being relegated to league one, and the league will say "fair enough, no points deductions for you". It worked for Portsmouth.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Owners of a club who represent all thats going wrong today with the fa seemingly unprepared to act as usual. I turned on sky sports news at 11 and the first story was bale and his move to spain rather then the possible loss of an historic football club. Just wrong.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Talking of -25 points , think that was what Luton got ?

Luton were deducted 30 points but part of that was for financial irregularities , if you remember another club , Chesterfield had 9 points docked for passing around brown envelopes.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Are you part of SISU by any chance? They are as much at fault for this situation as the stadium owners.

No because im not a big enough prick to be a part of them, yes of course they are to blame for the club falling into this mess in the first place, though the Council are the reason the CVA (and the club exiting administration) hasnt happened.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What about Abramovich, who has accumulated obscene wealth by basically robbing his own countrymen? Or those arab jokers at Man City, highly esteemed in a country where human rights abuses are rife. Or the Glazers, who has bought the club with someone elses money (what debt did he saddle them with?) and creams off obsene profits beyond servicing the debt. And was it Leicester who were taken over by a Thai group who it transpires were wanted for tax evasion at home? It goes on and on and on.

Sick of the FA. Sick of them ruining the game at a time when there ought to be plenty of money to go round, and have some left over to invest in the future of the game, preferably one where the national team is not absolutely shìt on their watch.

You are absolutely correct on all counts, and I couldn't agree more. I'd actually put the Premier League out of my mind for a moment.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
From what I'm reading the company has been liquidated rather than the football club itself and the assets can be purchased by another company who can then run the football club. A SISU related company , Otium , is waiting in the wings.

This. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22913459 which explains what has happened. So it will be massive points deduction but club survives. Whatever the feelings we all have for CCFC supporters, somehow this seems wrong. The club should go and start again if only to deter this sort of behaviour in future.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been reading about this. So, Cov want to build a new ground when there is a perfectly acceptable and new ground in Coventry sitting empty. And a short while ago Spurs proposed demolishing a newly built Olympic stadium and building a new stadium in its place. It's a funny old game.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
While I don't wish total devastation on the fans of CCFC, is part of the problem that clubs do NOT fall all the way a la Newport or Maistone used to. Even liquidation today, and the club are playing tomorrow. Ok, they are facing a massive pts deduction, that will probably give them a rubbish season and relegation, but that is NOT what Newport faced, not even close.

With the ultimate penalty being some points, which may cost you relegation, it just feels that clubs take massive financial risks in how they run, because the ultimate penalty is, well, a rubbish season and relegation, something we all get every now and again.

Sorry if it sounds heartless, but if they are liquidated, they should be starting all over again, at the bottom of the non-league pyramid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here