Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

County Championship Finale

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It looks increasingly likely that Yorkshire will pip Somerset by ONE point. Shame, I would like to see Somerset lift the trophy.

Plenty of time for things to change of course. Given the way the last 3 days have gone I wouldn't rule anything out.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Somerset win.

All eyes on Lords.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am a massive Somerset fan having grown up in Devon and netted a few times at the Somerset academy. Imagine how I am feeling that we are going to miss out by one point on our first ever title after Brighton missed out. Sport can be painful.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am a massive Somerset fan having grown up in Devon and netted a few times at the Somerset academy. Imagine how I am feeling that we are going to miss out by one point on our first ever title after Brighton missed out. Sport can be painful.

It was surely worse in 2010 when Somerset actually had the same number of points as Notts and lost out on number of wins. At 5.15, IIRC, Somerset were top with Notts needing to take three wickets in five overs in a rain-ravaged match and thanks to Sidebottom, they did it. He also helped them to the final batting point so history could be repeating itself

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
According to Barnsley forum there are a lot of their fans at Lords today for the cricket and then coming down from there for the football tomorrow. Imagine it will be pretty raucous inside Lords today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Can't see Middlesex winning it. If they lose early wickets this morning, they may try and shut up shop and play for 2nd prize money. Hit out for show, defend for dough.

All shire England surely wants Somerset to win, not least to make a point to the city franchise hawks at the ECB. Rural England remains the beating heart of cricket in this country.

PG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
According to Barnsley forum there are a lot of their fans at Lords today for the cricket and then coming down from there for the football tomorrow. Imagine it will be pretty raucous inside Lords today.

If I were still living in London I'd be tempted to go. Could be a terrific game of cricket and I bet the atmosphere's electrifying

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only a fiver to get in at Lords today. That's enough for most Yorkies to get t' pony 'n trap out. " 'ow mooch! Tha's less than cos' of t'pint down thier".

PG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't see Middlesex winning it. If they lose early wickets this morning, they may try and shut up shop and play for 2nd prize money. Hit out for show, defend for dough.

All shire England surely wants Somerset to win, not least to make a point to the city franchise hawks at the ECB. Rural England remains the beating heart of cricket in this country.

I can see Middlesex winning. I think Yorkshire must be favourites but if Middlesex can bat past tea and set, say, 160 runs in 22 overs, Yorks would have to go for them as a draw's no good. A few quick wickets and who knows what could happen.

But yes, every neutral must be praying for a draw, it would be great for Somerset to win and put two fingers up at Groves and the ECB

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

PG

But yes, every neutral must be praying for a draw, it would be great for Somerset to win and put two fingers up at Groves and the ECB

Can't buy into this. I bloody hate Somerset. This is mainly after witnessing some of their antics at Hove over the years. I will particularly enjoy watching Peter Trego's face if they do miss out.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This Gubbins looks a fine player.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Can't buy into this. I bloody hate Somerset. This is mainly after witnessing some of their antics at Hove over the years. I will particularly enjoy watching Peter Trego's face if they do miss out.

Yeah but you're in Manchester. Doesn't count as a shire!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I was in 'Hot Shots' on North Street the night of the England v Argentina game in the 1998 world cup, along with.........Dermot Reeve and Somerset CCC. Night before the game and he had them on the lash!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Draw the favourite now. Dare Somerset put the cider on ice? Scrumpy usually drunk tepid, so they're probably still hedging bets.

PG

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Draw the favourite now. Dare Somerset put the cider on ice? Scrumpy usually drunk tepid, so they're probably still hedging bets.

PG

Middlesex must offer a tantalising target knowing that Yorkshire HAVE to go for it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Well, no early wickets so lots of options now.

I would have thought they would negotiate at lunchtime to create a chase that gives both sides a roughly even chance of winning. I don't know if they would go as far as including an off the record gentlemen's agreement that they will effectively take the draw out of the equation i.e. go for broke.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Well, no early wickets so lots of options now.

I would have thought they would negotiate at lunchtime to create a chase that gives both sides a roughly even chance of winning. I don't know if they would go as far as including an off the record gentlemen's agreement that they will effectively take the draw out of the equation i.e. go for broke.

spot on there I think , they can`t possibly play out a draw.
they need to bowl a few donkey drops and set a target.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
spot on there I think , they can`t possibly play out a draw.
they need to bowl a few donkey drops and set a target.

With the advent of 20/20 cricket anything is possible, with the important difference that there will be no fielding restrictions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here