Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Countdown to transfer deadline.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Well I doubt if either of our full-backs are sub-10-seconds-over-100-metres-merchants, but they've both done pretty darn well thus far haven't they? And why a new 'keeper soon if there's bugger-all wrong with the one we have??

Sake.

Ankergren is a great shot stopper but he hasnt a clue how to come for crosses and command his area. too many times he stays firmly glued to his goaling when you need him to command!! He needs replacing IMO!!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Not worried about CB any more. El-Abd and Elphick are back training in a few weeks and with a 2 week break for international games we will probably only be without them for another 5 games or so.
I can't see El-Abd or Elphick getting a starting place when they return though!
All I would like to see is 1 more striker and then we have a decent sized squad.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
El Abd isnt a patch on Dunk! not sure i would have said this last year obviously but he's getting better week in week out. should only be used as cover IMO

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The window slams shut on Wednesday for permanent and slams open a week later for emergency loans. CB could be on a necessity basis as we don't have game for 2 weeks. Striker only requirement and even that is not a desperate situation at the moment.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
In
* a massive striker who can hold the ball up well and win headers
* a couple of defenders who will be squad players

Out
* a couple of youngsters on loan who may not be in first team contention now but could be soon (to keep up match fitness)
*Poke

jcl 1959

Jun 26, 2011
Ankergren is a great shot stopper but he hasnt a clue how to come for crosses and command his area. too many times he stays firmly glued to his goaling when you need him to command!! He needs replacing IMO!!

have to agree does look dodgy at times a top class forward is going to take advantage hope we are three up at the time

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Elphick had a setback in his recovery, as he was back on crutches on Saturday. I think an extra defender should be bought in and that's it. The midfield is deep enough and beyond the first team, the DS players are chomping at the bit to get a game in there.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I understand those suggesting players that add something, i.e. the striker with presence that Gus has cited, but why are people questioning the quality of those we have?

The squad we have, despite injuries to two centre backs, an attacking winger and a striker, has remained undefeated, tops the championship, and has eliminated a decent strength premier league side.
Painter may not be challenging usain bolt, but he has played his part in three clean sheets this year, despite not often having a recognised winger protecting him (often relying on Barnes who also has to play as a striker at the same time leaving him exposed on counter attacks)
Brezovan may not be particularly comfortable with the ball at his feet, but he has played 9 competitive games in the past 16 months and only lost two of them, (one of which being against a premier league team using the tactics that beat liverpool, arsenal, and others, the other being a game after we had won the league and weren't playing our strongest side)
With Taricco able to slot into right back and calderon move into centre back, with steve cook, two weeks off with vincelot expected back soon after, we have enough defensive cover until El Abd and Elphick are fit.

I am quite happy, on this occasion, to say "this"!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Left back COVER, keeper COVER........ that's it

If an amazing CB is out there then Elphick's days in the squad are numbered but think that's harsh. El Abd would also slip to 4th choice (again harsh) but maybe get cover time at RB. Vincelot might beat him out though given 5 subs rule. Would be quite a defender though to cause this.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Some positive rep for Acker 79 for talking common sense - nothing wrong with what we have and certainly not to start slagging them off. Yes we could do with a little something extra but that is to SUPPLEMENT not to supercede.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I understand those suggesting players that add something, i.e. the striker with presence that Gus has cited, but why are people questioning the quality of those we have?

The squad we have, despite injuries to two centre backs, an attacking winger and a striker, has remained undefeated, tops the championship, and has eliminated a decent strength premier league side.
Painter may not be challenging usain bolt, but he has played his part in three clean sheets this year, despite not often having a recognised winger protecting him (often relying on Barnes who also has to play as a striker at the same time leaving him exposed on counter attacks)
Brezovan may not be particularly comfortable with the ball at his feet, but he has played 9 competitive games in the past 16 months and only lost two of them, (one of which being against a premier league team using the tactics that beat liverpool, arsenal, and others, the other being a game after we had won the league and weren't playing our strongest side)
With Taricco able to slot into right back and calderon move into centre back, with steve cook, two weeks off with vincelot expected back soon after, we have enough defensive cover until El Abd and Elphick are fit.

I couldn't agree more. Gus has said he doesn't need a keeper or defensive cover. He is happy with Brezovan and Steve Cook as cover so why do most people write them off when they haven't seen enough of them to make a proper judgement.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

And replace him with a keeper better at coming for crosses but can't pass a ball for toffee?

We gain more than we lose imho

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

What do people expect? If he was great off his line as well as being a great shot stopper and with the ball at his feet, he would not be playing for us. I can't believe people don't see that. Ankergren has had a great start to the season and still people want to replace him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
In
* a massive striker who can hold the ball up well and win headers
* a couple of defenders who will be squad players

Out
* a couple of youngsters on loan who may not be in first team contention now but could be soon (to keep up match fitness)
*Poke
If we send a keeper out on loan I think it will be Brez instead of Pokey

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Tantalising stuff in the Arsegas this morning. Gus remains confident on the striker, was hoping to complete yesterday but deal could not be finalised. Goes onto quote Gus as "We need a striker and that is our main target but if someone else comes up who is special then that is a unique opportunity and you can't say no".

Can see ZERO work getting done tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here