Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Could our next/future manager come from within?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
its a lovely idea but the general history of internal appointments isn't great. i think the first team coach/assistant manager to Head coach/Manager is too much of a change for most, they need to get that first experience elswhere without baggage.
Geez, yeh - this! If only Liverpool hadn't appointed Paisley they might actually have won something......................................

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have long thought Lallana is being trained for the role, obviously it depends on how long RDZ stays with us and if Lallana has made the grade by the time he leaves. I also think that RDZ will not get his head turned provided he gets the resources to continually improve his squad, I certainly don't see him doing a Potter as I think he has far too much integrity for that.
That's what most of us thought about Potter and the project ......................................

(After-timers please queue here........)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It could happen, if someone stepped in as caretaker, and did very well. That would also take a sudden loss of De Zerbi's services, and an inability to find a suitable replacement reasonably quickly though.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
I think it depends on how long we have RDZ for, given enough time to learn and prove themselves I could see Lallana or Milner as long term successors. It's not unheard of for assistant managers and coaches to succeed at the very top level, Mourinho and Arteta spring to mind. Arteta got the Arsenal job without any experience of being a manager, but lots of time learning under Pep. So it wouldn't feel dissimilar if someone internal spent enough time learning from RDZ to be considered for the job

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Not really. I didn't say anything originally when replying to this thread and then someone asked me why I thought lallana wasn't manager material.....and I told them
who do you think would win at chess, lallana or harry maguire?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
That's what most of us thought about Potter and the project ......................................

(After-timers please queue here........)
Yeah, I get that, but I do think there is something far more honest about RDZ . Also could you imagine him with a bunch of self entitled "stars" talk about a fox in the hen house. I would imagine he is on pretty good money with us, and provided we keep a steady progression toward getting our hands on the UCL Cup , he won't be going anywhere. As soon as TB says nope, this is as far as we can go, I think he will be off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wouldn't be in the least surprised to Andoni Iraola go in the notebook for shortlist for future replacement Albion manager. He looks to fit the profile. His Bournemouth side outsmarted our playing out from the back tactics in the first half, and they played some attractive stuff at times, albeit with limited resources

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I wouldn't be in the least surprised to Andoni Iraola go in the notebook for shortlist for future replacement Albion manager. He looks to fit the profile. His Bournemouth side outsmarted our playing out from the back tactics in the first half, and they played some attractive stuff at times, albeit with limited resources
Limited resources ?! Wouldn't be surprised if their team cost more than ours and their wage bill is higher. They have some rich owners now.

And they look very good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here