Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Could Igor play the holding midfielder role?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thought he looked great on the ball but wasn't sure he was that great defensively? Early days and I don't like to judge quickly but could he slot into the holding midfielder role which we looked like we missed so badly?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Thought he looked great on the ball but wasn't sure he was that great defensively? Early days and I don't like to judge quickly but could he slot into the holding midfielder role which we looked like we missed so badly?
I wondered whether than was the plan when he came in - got the physicality and great with the ball. But with Baleba coming in clearly not in RDZ's mind

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I quite like the idea (again based on one game) but what was his interception rate (or whatever the statos call it) ? Basically that person needs to provide defensive cover by nicking the ball off the opposition. Caicedo was the best I have ever seen at this skill.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Must have been watching a different game, as I didn't see him being great on the ball. Also when he was on the ball he could see his passing options in front or to the side. I can't see him receiving the ball from the CB with most options behind him, nor being able to turn with the ball when under pressure.

I would say that if played at DM it would be a disaster and no doubt cost us the game from the errors he would no doubt make.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
To me a great defender has either to be blessed with great pace or have a good ability to read the game (either innate or through experience) .Early days at the moment obviously but i do feel that Igor has some work to do. On occasion when caught out of position he has all the turning speed of a battleship (in a dry dock!). I jest of course but would either of those two qualities be improved by a move into midfield? personally i think not.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Must have been watching a different game, as I didn't see him being great on the ball. Also when he was on the ball he could see his passing options in front or to the side. I can't see him receiving the ball from the CB with most options behind him, nor being able to turn with the ball when under pressure.

I would say that if played at DM it would be a disaster and no doubt cost us the game from the errors he would no doubt make.
Have to say I agree I thought he looked shaky on the ball if anything, he seemed to ignore the risky pass to Estupinan/Mitoma in favour of the easier pass inside or backwards.

I think I can safely say the answer to the title of this thread is no, and I highly doubt RDZ will see the need considering we’ve had a very good start to the season domestically.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No……next

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I thought Igor did OK yesterday, he played better than JPVH. But I felt he was ponderous in possession at times and often held onto the ball for too long. When our forwards asked for the ball to feet he was a second or two late to make the pass... that can make all the difference with our style of play.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
It’s hard to say, we’ve only seen him for 1 game and he’s new to the team, to De Zerbiball, to his teammates. Let’s see if he can play his own position well here with us, before moving him to an unfamiliar one.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I personally loved him last night. Aside from the glaring miss. Everyone knows you head that in the general direction of where it came, you don't try and nod that in with the pace of the ball.

He looks great as a CB, can pick a pass no problem, defended okay for a first start with an unknown back line, defo not at fault for any goal.

The thing is, a CB who can play the ball (when playing almost as if he's in a three), can do so as a CB. Much much less pressure. So much space. As a DM, different story. So for now, no. He hasn't shown any attributes that make him a DM.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No, but Dunk could, would work if Baleba can play CB.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I personally loved him last night. Aside from the glaring miss. Everyone knows you head that in the general direction of where it came, you don't try and nod that in with the pace of the ball.

He looks great as a CB, can pick a pass no problem, defended okay for a first start with an unknown back line, defo not at fault for any goal.

The thing is, a CB who can play the ball (when playing almost as if he's in a three), can do so as a CB. Much much less pressure. So much space. As a DM, different story. So for now, no. He hasn't shown any attributes that make him a DM.
Snap! Thought he was great with the ball, movement of others less so.

Jimmy Grimble

His running stride is odd. His feet look like they’re moving quickly but he’s taking tiny steps.

I’m slightly surprised we were happy to sign a player with such a lack of pace and mobility. He looks comfortable on the ball but that alone is not enough for De Zerbi ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here