Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cost of living football consumption intentions

Will you change what you spend on football given economic conditions?

• STH - I am considering defaulting this season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • STH - I am considering not renewing next season

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • Member - I will still go to football but less

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Member – I will stop going to football

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • All – I will go but buy less in shop and concourse

Votes: 23 13.4%
  • My behaviour won’t change

Votes: 105 61.0%
  • I’ll try and go more to take my mind off all this

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Already gave up ST end of last season. Picking and choosing games. Going Saturday as a friend is ticket sharing to me, but I'd be avoiding Cat A games because of the cost. Forest on the other hand was a reasonable £25 for both me and my son on the early bird offer - so going to that. Son is actually enjoying it more as we're moving around the ground each game.

el punal

How far has PL football come detached from its supporters? players earning millions, some fans struggling to pay to watch these millionaires kicking a ball around.

How strange. I seem to remember the dross of watching the Albion in the 1990s for relative peanuts. We move to Withdean, and then the Amex, forever on an upward trajectory. The dream being ‘when not if’ of getting to the Premier League. Well we’re here now and I thoroughly enjoy the sublime football we’re playing, so I’m willing to pay that price.

Now that is not a criticism of those who think that watching Premier League is a financial step too far. There are indeed many instances of me having to pay through the nose for unnecessary admin charges (as an example) which the club has a habit of enforcing. That is a small but irritating price to pay for the sheer pleasure of being there to watch the best football the club has played in their history.

With regard to your opening comment about “the PL being detached from its supporters” I would tend to agree. They have built a cash cow monster that is now beholden to television companies and their demands. So yes, we are the poor sods that have to endure that buggeration of changes to fixture dates and times just to suit the TV moguls. Again, for me, this is bloody inconvenient
but something I will endure and hopefully enjoy if in the end the result is a joyful one.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've had mine 22 years (since 13) but haven't gone since everything re-opened from lockdown (health reasons). However I kept my ticket because it's an amazing seat (half way line WSU) with my chums and it's an aim to go again.

However, I am conscious that things are tight already and going again would also bring all the associated costs that come with it (food/drink etc).

With that in mind, it's the first time in 20 years that I'm genuinely considering not renewing next season and instead paying for single games as and when. £50 a month is a big deal. I'd also find it interesting viewing the matches from different positions around the ground if I buy single tickets.

Knowing me, renewal time will come round and I'll just let it roll on again

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think I would cut back on other things and keep the football. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it, given my circumstances. However I do feel for those with mortgages and families to heat and feed. I can see the football becoming a very disposable option for many people.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
How strange. I seem to remember the dross of watching the Albion in the 1990s for relative peanuts. We move to Withdean, and then the Amex, forever on an upward trajectory. The dream being ‘when not if’ of getting to the Premier League. Well we’re here now and I thoroughly enjoy the sublime football we’re playing, so I’m willing to pay that price.

Now that is not a criticism of those who think that watching Premier League is a financial step too far. There are indeed many instances of me having to pay through the nose for unnecessary admin charges (as an example) which the club has a habit of enforcing. That is a small but irritating price to pay for the sheer pleasure of being there to watch the best football the club has played in their history.

With regard to your opening comment about “the PL being detached from its supporters” I would tend to agree. They have built a cash cow monster that is now beholden to television companies and their demands. So yes, we are the poor sods that have to endure that buggeration of changes to fixture dates and times just to suit the TV moguls. Again, for me, this is bloody inconvenient
but something I will endure and hopefully enjoy if in the end the result is a joyful one.
Well we all like going unfortunately some Albion fans can’t justify the cost with the current cost of living. Do the club really need to charge £45 for a ticket though? I paid if for tomorrow only because it’s my Birthday I normally swerve those supposed cat A games and watch on telly. £30-35 is plenty for any game in the cheap seats £45 is greed IMO.

The first time that wonderful sound of the turnstile clicking at the Goldstone cost me 25 or 50p can’t really remember what’s does a 13 year old pay today £20 or some insane amount no doubt.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I gave up my ST after many years at the end of last season. This was partly a financial decision, related to the cost of living crisis...how little we knew then...

I can't justify paying Category A ticket prices, so won't be going to the Spurs game, but I'll be there for Forest.

I have seen more Lewes games than Albion this season, and this will remain the case.

Pretty much exactly what he said, except I am going to Spurs (and considering doing the Sevenoaks match first [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], family commitments willing)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I may very well have to take a difficult decision with my ST when my mortgage renewal comes up at the beginning of next year. At the moment, I’m probably looking at a £3.5k increase per year at remortgage time added to another £1k+ in energy costs.

Something is going to have to give. Food, mortgage and energy will have to come first. This could be my last season as a STH if things don’t improve quickly.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Somewhat counter to the general tone of this thread, my sons and I have been Albion+ members for the last few seasons and attended a handful of games per season, but am now considering getting half-season tickets if they become available - the ones for my sons would be Christmas presents.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
An interesting thread.

As l suppose one of the relatively "lucky" ones, older generation, retired, reasonable private pension, mortgage paid off years ago, season ticket already paid for etc. etc. l should be able to manage ok.

That said though, l realise that there will be many people who may find this coming winter a lot more difficult to muddle through.

As a matter of interest l wonder how the Club will react when it comes to season ticket holders who simply default with some of their direct debit payments, how much leeway, if any, will they be given. These are difficult times for many, potentially likely to become much more difficult still.

It will be interesting to see the stance that the club takes if a lot of fans start to miss payments.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’ll carry on as now, s/t holders.

For us, giving it a bash at reducing gas usage, we reduced to the minimal cable TV package and shopping at Lidl literally saves us hundreds a month.

I’m always amazed at how 3,000 consistently travel to away games (car fuel or trains, tickets, food/drink, a hotel for some). Going by the numbers, seemingly unaffected by the economic downturn.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
An interesting thread.

As l suppose one of the relatively "lucky" ones, older generation, retired, reasonable private pension, season ticket alreadty paid for etc. etc. l should be able to manage ok.

That said though, l realise that there will be many people who may find this coming winter a lot more difficult to muddle through.

As a matter of interest l wonder how the Club will react when it comes to season ticket holders who simply default with some of their direct debit payments, how much leeway, if any, will they be given. These are difficult times for many, potentially likely to become much more difficult still.

It will be interesting to see the stance that the club takes if a lot of fans start to miss payments.
Nothing much they can do apart from block the ST. At the end of the day the club is a business not a charity.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
No impact for home games, that is 'baked in'. Enthusiasm for long away trips waning slightly, but as much because we have 'been there, done that' as the cost.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No change….in a few years I’ll qualify for a discount sigh
Don’t buy anything in the shop or on the concourse anyway.

Sky/Bt sub will go when contract ends next year ..ST is miles ahead in priority

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve gone for my behaviour won’t change.

Much to Mrs Q’s disgust

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Won’t change. Plenty of other things I’ll cut down on before ST cost gets hit - I don’t usually drink at football so additional spending isn’t significant anyway, just the occasional pie or burger and a coffee. May drop a few more away games (usually do half to two-thirds of them), but that’s more a result of other stuff getting in the way rather than cost, although fuel costs for the longer trips are obviously pretty high.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nothing much they can do apart from block the ST. At the end of the day the club is a business not a charity.

They could pursue the debt through the courts if they wanted to as it’s a legally enforceable debt - whether they would or not is another question.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’s becoming a less frequent treat, the petrol costs to and from Wales is making it more prohibitive and the fact I’m paying for four of us these days instead of just myself.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I won't change, ST +2/3 pints per game but lucky being walking distance from a P&R. However I go to the games with 2 nephews both of whom have kids and mortgages. AFAIK they are fine at the moment but if things get tight, I'll probably take on their ticket (I need someone to help me up and down the stairs for the concourse after standing all game with my dodgy knees :wink:).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We’ll carry on as now, s/t holders.

For us, giving it a bash at reducing gas usage, we reduced to the minimal cable TV package and shopping at Lidl literally saves us hundreds a month.

I’m always amazed at how 3,000 consistently travel to away games (car fuel or trains, tickets, food/drink, a hotel for some). Going by the numbers, seemingly unaffected by the economic downturn.

It is amazing at how much money there is still about . . . for some.

Walk down East Street in Horsham on any given week night, and restaurants and pubs are overflowing with diners and drinkers, many of them with young families, yet just around the corner you will find folk getting ready to doss down for the night in shop doorways.

This quite literally has become, a country, maybe world, of haves and have nots, with very little in between.

So sad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here