Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cost of living football consumption intentions

Will you change what you spend on football given economic conditions?

• STH - I am considering defaulting this season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • STH - I am considering not renewing next season

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • Member - I will still go to football but less

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Member – I will stop going to football

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • All – I will go but buy less in shop and concourse

Votes: 23 13.4%
  • My behaviour won’t change

Votes: 105 61.0%
  • I’ll try and go more to take my mind off all this

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How much do season tickets cost per stand/section?

I ask because when I was in England in August I went to the games against Leeds and Newcastle, sitting in the West upper and East upper. The two games cost me about 80 quid just for the tickets so if people do give up their season tickets because of the expense while planning to pick and choose games to go to they might find that they'll be going quite rarely. It's something to think about if finance is the only reason rather than the tipping point.

Also, if large numbers of people do give up their season tickets would it perversely improve the atmosphere as people who want to make noise might be able to move closer together? Will it affect the attendences dramatically if people start picking and choosing or will more people start going if they know that there'll always be seats available? Will those tickets go up or down in price?

We’re in Zone B (just), so tickets average £34/game, but matchday price in our block tomorrow (Cat A obviously) is £52. ST essentially gives you between 2-3 games per season. I think you’re right…….I pay for junior’s ticket as well, the monthly DD kind of just goes, don’t know whether I’d be consciously so prepared to drop £150 once a fortnight (including food, drinks, travel etc) if each game was a new decision.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We went to Manhattan NYC in August, the wealth gap was shocking. There was eye-watering wealth everywhere e.g. apartments costing $40m, yet we were stepping over beggars on the pavement in 5th Avenue. They were bare-footed, some shaking, with sadness in their eyes and there was something worse (I won't mention it here). People from the wrong side of the tracks and/or part of Oxycodone scandal, trying to eke out their survival.

Absolutely dreadful, my wife's cousin lives in Connecticut, one of the richest states in the whole of the USA, yet it is little more than an hours drive outside the Big Apple.

We are flying out to see her at the end of the month, for the first time in 7 or 8 years. I fully expect conditions on the street in New York to be markedly worse than on my last visit, and they were grim enough then..

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Which was entirely my point in my previous post, especially if times become as difficult as many predict, taking die hard fans to court, however legitimate the reason, isn't going to be seen as the greatest ever PR exercise.
Charlton are the first club to reduce ticket prices for the rest of the season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely dreadful, my wife's cousin lives in Connecticut, one of the richest states in the whole of the USA, yet it is little more than an hours drive outside the Big Apple.

We are flying out to see her at the end of the month, for the first time in 7 or 8 years. I fully expect conditions on the street in New York to be markedly worse than on my last visit, and they were grim enough then..

Genuinely, I got tears in my eyes and felt guilty that we were on holiday. We did feed cash to all the harmless hustlers trying to make a dime e.g. a guy standing by the Subway ticket machines (not an employee) advising on how to buy weekly tickets.

The world's not right.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hang on there one wee moment, the stadium map that you are showing isn't 100% correct. block W1F where l have my season tikcket, is in fact in Zone E, not Zone D, at £860 per season.

I only wish it was correct, as if it really was in Zone D l'd be saving myself a lot of money!

Isn't W1F the colour that corresponds to 'Sold Out' on the key?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Hang on there one wee moment, the stadium map that you are showing isn't 100% correct. block W1F where l have my season tikcket, is in fact in Zone E, not Zone D, at £860 per season.

I only wish it was correct, as if it really was in Zone D l'd be saving myself a lot of money!

You can't see what zone W1F is in as it is greyed out due to being fully sold out to season tickets.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Genuinely, I got tears in my eyes and felt guilty that we were on holiday. We did feed cash to all the harmless hustlers trying to make a dime e.g. a guy standing by the Subway ticket machines (not an employee) advising on how to buy weekly tickets.

The world's not right.

Well done for doing your bit and trying to help a few people out, even if it was only in a very small way. The saddest thing l think, is that it's often said, that what happens in the States, is replicated here a few years down the line.

My big worry is, that we have seen nothing yet.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
My behaviour will not change as I could see this coming and decided not to renew my season ticket for this season

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well done for doing your bit and trying to help a few people out, even if it was only in a very small way. The saddest thing l think, is that it's often said, that what happens in the States, is replicated here a few years down the line.

My big worry is, that we have seen nothing yet.

I think the next government will do their best to prevent that, they bloody well better. Plus some structural stuff needs to change here. You always get a quality debate with [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] discussing such subjects.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Me and Mrs Earle have already switched from W1G with no age discount to W1B (thanks to Rugrat) saving me about £60 pm. The sweets cart doesn't get my patronage for a bag or two of dummies, bananas or liquorice allsorts, the programme went several years ago and this season the chicken and leek pie has fallen by the wayside for most games. Drinks are my own Capri Sun ×4 which goes in a rucksack about the size of 4 Capri Sun, so doesn't get checked. If they do check, it's no problem with the stewards because they're exactly as sold at the kiosks. Bring my own Twix too. Still sometimes buy at the shop, but not much now and swapped Mrs Earles old shirt for the new one in the Anniversary shirt swap deal. So all in all, much reduced. We occasionally share a pint of Harvey's Gold if the mood takes us.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It’s a shame that the ups of watching PL football seem to driving away a number of long time fans who were there through the dark days, due to the frankly obscene costs when all expenses related to a match day are taken into account.

We are gaining new better off fans but we are losing some real diehards :down:

Very true. Come across so many that always want to talk about Albion and when pushed they say dont attend because they cant afford or justify the cost. Many will say thats life but I think it is a great shame.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very true. Come across so many that always want to talk about Albion and when pushed they say dont attend because they cant afford or justify the cost. Many will say thats life but I think it is a great shame.

These are the people it was nice to treat when we were able to pass tickets on.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Our joint expenses will be up by £600+/month.

That coupled with moving 300 miles away means its unlikely I will renew.

Would have kept my ticket all things equal and got to one home game a month, plus as many away as possible.

Very hard to justify at the moment. :(

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Will continue as usual for home games - just a pie and a cuppa (sometimes pint of Guinness). Having said that I binned off my Seagulls Travel season ticket this year and trying to get to all games 'FREE'. Looking to cycle tomorrow but need to check I have lights that will work as will be loosing light for journey home and certainly a good idea to be seen from behind anyway.

What I will be giving up this year is the number of away games I attend compared to last few years. By the time you add cost of ticket, travel, food and drink over a long day ... it all adds up and you can easily do £100!

Would park n ride work for you? For example Mill Road, there’s way of using, but parking elsewhere.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Already gave up ST end of last season. Picking and choosing games. Going Saturday as a friend is ticket sharing to me, but I'd be avoiding Cat A games because of the cost. Forest on the other hand was a reasonable £25 for both me and my son on the early bird offer - so going to that. Son is actually enjoying it more as we're moving around the ground each game.

We did that exactly that in 2015 and 2016, I liked being an Amex nomad.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Would park n ride work for you? For example Mill Road, there’s way of using, but parking elsewhere.

We moved to being a one car family a good few years ago and Mrs HS or my son usually need to use it on Saturdays. I'm also trying to drive as little as possible anyway ... I don't enjoy driving anymore and it's my small contribution to reduce my carbon footprint. I try to use bus or train or legs (walk/bike) for most of my journeys :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here