Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Cost of Living Crisis

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Deary me, calm down Gilesy, earlier you said the CAP has failings so any industry that is so reliant on Government subsidies in the way the Agriculture does in the EU and by extension the U.K. must need major reform.

Exiting the CAP is an opportunity to do that, and the first step to that should be looking at which landowners, like the Makhtoums have been raking in hard pressed taxpayers money……..there will be no cost of living crises for them.

I'd be fascinated to hear your views on the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) Free Trade Area, as we aren't members of that either, but it probably has equal relevance to this thread :dunce:

It's just constant waffle, obfuscation and whataboutism. Anything but the actual subject of the thread :shrug:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Oh sure, those “poor old farmers” will definitely go bust without subsidies………

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/20...-millions-eu-subsidies-go-richest-landowners/

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/20...iven-1m-farm-subsidies-horse-breeding-empire/

https://www.scotsman.com/news/polit...h-recipients-nearly-ps7m-eu-subsidies-3062542

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ud-receives-225-000-in-state-grants-2f395wp65

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/mega-rich-scottish-landowners-raking-16483459

Even the most ardent EU supporting swivel eyed loon would recognise the inequities of the CAP, on both sides (i.e. it artificially creates higher prices for the consumer and nearly half the EU taxpayers contribution to the EU is for CAP) it’s why Blair tried to reform by surrendering our rebate but failed.

Farms into bankruptcy………what a laugh you are!

I thought things like the historic very high suicide rate amongst farmers was common knowledge, obviously not with you, and that high suicide rate predates anything about Brexit. I know the person who, many years ago as an agricultural chaplain in Lincolnshire set up things like the national farmers’ suicide help line because of the scale of the problem.

There are people like those you bring up who are adept at screwing the system for everything they can, and then there are people who are really struggling to run a hill farm in Wales or similar because farming is in their and their families blood and they don’t know anything else.

None of this has anything to do with the Cost of Living crisis, which is very, very real, and some of that has to be down to Brexit. Anybody who tries to deny that is a fantasist or an idiot….. or both.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I just looked up the times uk top 250 rich list and using this data a bit of quick rough add up says they have collectively made around £500 billion during the Covid19 pandemic!

The government has borrowed around £200 billion to fund the same period of time.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Deary me, calm down Gilesy, earlier you said the CAP has failings so any industry that is so reliant on Government subsidies in the way the Agriculture does in the EU and by extension the U.K. must need major reform.

Exiting the CAP is an opportunity to do that, and the first step to that should be looking at which landowners, like the Makhtoums have been raking in hard pressed taxpayers money……..there will be no cost of living crises for them.

If you had said anything like your second paragraph in your previous post, I would have had some agreement.
Your first paragraph is still utter nonsense though, if you look at the competition for British and European agricultural product, almost all of it is subsidised, and/or produced at lower cost because of lower regulation. Unilaterally removing subsidy and removing tariffs on subsidised imports is just giving up on that industry domestically, and placing food security entirely at the whim of other nations willingness to supply you.
This is one of the main lies of Brexit, we can do what we want, regardless of what Europe and the rest of the world is doing, we can't.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Just had the lovely news that EE are putting up my phone contracts by over 9% next month - apparently CPI + 3.9%. I understand it's part of their business model and written into the contracts, but it doesn't half feel like robdoggery.

Luckily, across my family's 4 phone contracts, it only adds about £3/month...

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
If you had said anything like your second paragraph in your previous post, I would have had some agreement.
Your first paragraph is still utter nonsense though, if you look at the competition for British and European agricultural product, almost all of it is subsidised, and/or produced at lower cost because of lower regulation. Unilaterally removing subsidy and removing tariffs on subsidised imports is just giving up on that industry domestically, and placing food security entirely at the whim of other nations willingness to supply you.
This is one of the main lies of Brexit, we can do what we want, regardless of what Europe and the rest of the world is doing, we can't.

Stop it you nutter……

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...le-planet-un-climate-crisis-nature-inequality

You’ll be telling me the earth is flat next?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I thought things like the historic very high suicide rate amongst farmers was common knowledge, obviously not with you, and that high suicide rate predates anything about Brexit. I know the person who, many years ago as an agricultural chaplain in Lincolnshire set up things like the national farmers’ suicide help line because of the scale of the problem.

There are people like those you bring up who are adept at screwing the system for everything they can, and then there are people who are really struggling to run a hill farm in Wales or similar because farming is in their and their families blood and they don’t know anything else.

None of this has anything to do with the Cost of Living crisis, which is very, very real, and some of that has to be down to Brexit. Anybody who tries to deny that is a fantasist or an idiot….. or both.

Dave, I’m sure if we had a thread about climate change some on here would be in rapture about beef and dairy farmers topping themselves…….especially if they were the type that spoke plainly about gayest, supported Leeds, liked Jimmy Carr, engaged in fox hunting and kicked their cats.*

Delete as applicable.*

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Too right, with over 52,000 posts on here someone is evidently spending way too much time online, you really need to get out more.

You just concentrate on yourself.

Now, I appreciate angry, single and middle-aged men aren’t very attractive on many levels; I’d be willing to chip in for a hooker if that helps?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Doesn't look like this is going away anytime soon :(

Pig culls and fertiliser shortages mean higher prices for British shoppers

You don’t have to look very hard to see major problems brewing in British agriculture. Farms are packed with 200,000 overweight pigs, glasshouses once laden with salad leaves now sit empty, exports are falling and costs are soaring at a pace not seen for decades. Farmers report being pushed to breaking point as pressures mount on food production from all sides. The result, they warn, will be less British produce, more imports and higher prices in shops.

Suppliers’ demands for price rises are the inevitable result of what National Farmers Union chief Minette Batters has labelled a “perfect storm” battering the industry. A severe lack of skilled labour is colliding with soaring costs for animal feed, energy, machinery and a host of other inputs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/pigs-farming-brexit-food-pri-b2013332.html

It does seem absolute madness that we are leaving glasshouses entirely empty, throwing away thousands of tonnes of produce into landfill or makeshift fertiliser, and killing and burying 10s of thousands of pigs, whilst having to import more food at ever increasing costs. I really can't see an end to this and, together with fuel, electricity, gas, NI etc presents a very worrying picture :shrug:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Doesn't look like this is going away anytime soon :(

Pig culls and fertiliser shortages mean higher prices for British shoppers

You don’t have to look very hard to see major problems brewing in British agriculture. Farms are packed with 200,000 overweight pigs, glasshouses once laden with salad leaves now sit empty, exports are falling and costs are soaring at a pace not seen for decades. Farmers report being pushed to breaking point as pressures mount on food production from all sides. The result, they warn, will be less British produce, more imports and higher prices in shops.

Suppliers’ demands for price rises are the inevitable result of what National Farmers Union chief Minette Batters has labelled a “perfect storm” battering the industry. A severe lack of skilled labour is colliding with soaring costs for animal feed, energy, machinery and a host of other inputs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/pigs-farming-brexit-food-pri-b2013332.html

It does seem absolute madness that we are leaving glasshouses entirely empty, throwing away thousands of tonnes of produce into landfill or makeshift fertiliser, and killing and burying 10s of thousands of pigs, whilst having to import more food at ever increasing costs. I really can't see an end to this and, together with fuel, electricity, gas, NI etc presents a very worrying picture :shrug:
Totally agree. I really feel for those on a relatively low fixed income. Absolutely frightening cost of living increases happening now, and plenty more coming down the line. Need a strong well-led competent Government capable of flexibility, imagination and ingenuity in navigating us through these challenging times.....................

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Totally agree. I really feel for those on a relatively low fixed income. Absolutely frightening cost of living increases happening now, and plenty more coming down the line. Need a strong well-led competent Government capable of flexibility, imagination and ingenuity in navigating us through these challenging times.....................

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

And I know it's simply confirming the bleedin' obvious, but

Inflation will hit low and middle-income families hardest

This is what a cost-of-living disaster looks like and our economic institutions will be judged on whether they manage to navigate it successfully. They, and households right across Britain, should buckle up for a bumpy ride.

https://www.ft.com/content/46ac7aec-7f24-411f-924e-4e4138f411df

But I see that Johnson and his crew are doing their best to ensure Fur coats and Foie gras don't contribute to inflation :tosser:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Got my first inflated energy bill today, and I have to say I was shocked. As someone who lives in a small one bedroom flat I cannot even think what the bills for those in family homes will be like. The word crisis is not out of place here, it will hit those who least hardest, really flipping hard and we are governed by people who simply do not give a crap.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Got my first inflated energy bill today, and I have to say I was shocked. As someone who lives in a small one bedroom flat I cannot even think what the bills for those in family homes will be like. The word crisis is not out of place here, it will hit those who least hardest, really flipping hard and we are governed by people who simply do not give a crap.

Because the majority of them are either rich or stinking rich and live in circles where they have absolutely no idea what it's like in the real world even though they say they do.
Watch out for;
I don't recognise that.
My e mails say something different.
I was knocking on doors all weekend and every one said we are doing a good job and focusing on the things that matter.
We are working very hard day and night.
It's global.
It's not Brexit.
It's all the fault of the EU
The economy is booming.
We got this country through Covid.
Lies, lies and more lies.
Time to fight back if they won't listen or change crippling decisions.
Time to luzz stuff around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here