Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cost of going travelling

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Depends on what part you go, but I'd say 50-60 would be the bare minimum in Oz.

That's kind of what I've heard. Looking at Test matches, it would inevitably mean Melbourne around Christmas and Sydney at New Year, which I've no doubt will be pricey, even for hostels.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I'm still open minded about destinations, but I do want to catch some of the Ashes, which necessitates being in Australia around Christmas time :thumbsup:

Visit Cambodia. Angkor Wat the 1,200 year old temples in seiam reap then head to PHNOM PENH on the river and visit S21 the prison where the Khmer Rouge tortured Cambodians and any that were lucky to survive were then transported to the killing fields then either clubbed or shot to death.

It's an eye opener and you could also do the Rambo thing, Cambodia militray range where you can hire AK-47s, M16S, Hand grenades, Hand held rocket launchers. Can do it all in 4 days and it's cheap as fish and chips apart from the rocket launcher which cost at the time $150 dollars.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Visit Cambodia. Angkor Wat the 1,200 year old temples in seiam reap then head to PHNOM PENH on the river and visit S21 the prison where the Khmer Rouge tortured Cambodians and any that were lucky to survive were then transported to the killing fields then either clubbed or shot to death.

It's an eye opener and you could also do the Rambo thing, Cambodia militray range where you can hire AK-47s, M16S, Hand grenades, Hand held rocket launchers. Can do it all in 4 days and it's cheap as fish and chips apart from the rocket launcher which cost at the time $150 dollars.

All really good shouts and a must see if you're in the area.
I hired an M1 for the Missus and nearly sex wee'd myself watching her fire that off!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Cambodia is indeed amazing, and ridiculously cheap. But if you want to have the most ridiculously incredible time ever, go to South America instead. Or anywhere other than Australia, in fact.

I did 6 months in 2009 through the whole of South America, then a few weeks in Oz and a month or so in SE Asia, finishing with a month in India. Spent £18,000 ish as a couple.

Australia will just eat your money, minimise your time there. It's massively overrated anyway. You'll get 6 months in SE Asia for the amount of money a month that will get you a month in Australia, and you'll have a much better time.

Oh and above all else, don't think about it, just do it. You'll never, ever regret it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm still open minded about destinations, but I do want to catch some of the Ashes, which necessitates being in Australia around Christmas time :thumbsup:

Afore mentioned Niece turned up in Melbourne the Thursday before the Grand Prix (Not into sport she had no idea it was on!)

Safe to say she REALLY struggled to find a Hostel - had to blow quite a few $$ on a hotel, which was very expensive for what it was.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cambodia is indeed amazing, and ridiculously cheap. But if you want to have the most ridiculously incredible time ever, go to South America instead. Or anywhere other than Australia, in fact.

I did 6 months in 2009 through the whole of South America, then a few weeks in Oz and a month or so in SE Asia, finishing with a month in India. Spent £18,000 ish as a couple.

Australia will just eat your money, minimise your time there. It's massively overrated anyway. You'll get 6 months in SE Asia for the amount of money a month that will get you a month in Australia, and you'll have a much better time.

Oh and above all else, don't think about it, just do it. You'll never, ever regret it.

Thanks. The Australia thing is mainly just one of those always-wanted-to-do things in relation to the Ashes. But I do want to get out of the old comfort zone a bit at times, and it does all seem a bit close to home, metaphorically speaking. Which is why I want to spend a decent amount of time elsewhere too, be that in south east Asia or South America. Always thought spending a bit of time in South America would be a great way of picking up a bit of Spanish (I would make the effort, I'm not a completely rubbish British tourist).

I have four to six months, assuming work agree to it. But the budget isn't unlimited, so I've got to try and fit in my must-do stuff, and then hopefully squeeze in as much of the would-be-nice-to-do stuff while I'm there.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
That's kind of what I've heard. Looking at Test matches, it would inevitably mean Melbourne around Christmas and Sydney at New Year, which I've no doubt will be pricey, even for hostels.

hi, spent 5-6 years around oz, nz and s.e asia, not too long ago,( well, included the ashes series when we lost 5-0!), just a warning, Sydney will be mega expensive around the time of the test match there, (due to cricket and NYE, and was really tricky to find a spare bed in a hostel, so good if you can arrange a couch somewhere before hand!)

lived in nz for a year, quite a bit cheaper than oz, but wages are less,
as for s.e.asia? bliss, let me know if you need to know more

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
hi, spent 5-6 years around oz, nz and s.e asia, not too long ago,( well, included the ashes series when we lost 5-0!), just a warning, Sydney will be mega expensive around the time of the test match there, (due to cricket and NYE, and was really tricky to find a spare bed in a hostel, so good if you can arrange a couch somewhere before hand!)

lived in nz for a year, quite a bit cheaper than oz, but wages are less,
as for s.e.asia? bliss, let me know if you need to know more

All advice & tips gratefully received. I think my problem is going to be narrowing the options down :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you're doing Oz, and want to focus on one area of the country, I'd highly recommend flying into Sydney, internal flight to Byron Bay (Ballina airport), another internal flight to Brisbane and fly out from there. Or vice versa. Or drive. You'll have a brilliant time at these three places and they're all more or less in a direct line up the coast from each other. Maybe give Surfers Paradise a miss, its like Croydon only with a humungous beach.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
All advice & tips gratefully received. I think my problem is going to be narrowing the options down :)

ever thought about east Africa? probably my favourite place, tho I guess that is doing the opposite to narrowing your options down!!

as for s.e.asia, just a personal recommendation. laos and Cambodia have so much to offer, with a much a greater reward than Thailand maybe, and a hell of a lot cheaper!
less tourists and just has that slightly less travelled feel about it, whilst belng very open and friendly. met many solo female travellers there, so would appear to be pretty safe.

anyway, just like commander said, 'don't think about it, just do it'!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
ever thought about east Africa? probably my favourite place, tho I guess that is doing the opposite to narrowing your options down!!

as for s.e.asia, just a personal recommendation. laos and Cambodia have so much to offer, with a much a greater reward than Thailand maybe, and a hell of a lot cheaper!
less tourists and just has that slightly less travelled feel about it, whilst belng very open and friendly. met many solo female travellers there, so would appear to be pretty safe.

anyway, just like commander said, 'don't think about it, just do it'!

I don't plan to book accommodation in advance, I'd rather just turn up & wing it (apart from, say, Sydney at New Year). I just want to get a flight booked, and then enjoy the time & play it by ear.

Wouldn't mind going places with a bit of decent diving. I've heard much of the Far East is good for that.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
For going travelling please look at the Crodon advertertiser under the section caravan holidays.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Cambodia is a life-affirming country. After everything that the people have gone through in the last 40-50 years they have emerged as a warm, sensitive, vulnerable yet optimistic and energetic nation determined to try and put their past behind them. Yes the government is still corrupt and largely peopled with ageing ex-Khymer Rouge and yes it is still incredibly poor but the people are its lifeblood and they are wonderful. It is also a beautiful country scenically so if you go anywhere near SE Asia make Cambodia a must on your trip - you will not be disappointed.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I would love to do South America as part of the trip, but it seems to add so much on to the cost of flights, I'm not sure I'll be able to squeeze it in.

Cheapest to fly into Lima or Beunos Aires but yep, definately expensive to get there. Internal flights make them look cheap as well!

However when you get there you can live for pennies if you're prepared for a few 20+ hour bus journeys! La Paz is the most amazing place, breathtaking (literally) from the moment you drive above it when you arrive. I could live there.

livewire11

Banned
Feb 10, 2011
I live in Australia - you will not survive on £50 a day! Its bloody expensive! My friends who have travelled can't believe how expensive it is and don't stay long! Amazing country tho - well worth a look just be warned its bloody expensive!!!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
SE Asia budget:

Thailand - Hostel £3-5
Beer ~£1
Pad Thai - 50p
Curry - ~£1
Bus + Boat Bangkok to Islands - £18
Massage - £3

Vietnam - Hostel - £2-4
Beer - 12p - £1
Noodle Soup - £1
Filled Baguette - 40p
Hop on Hop off Bus (Hanoi - HCMC) - ~£30

I'll try and put some guide prices up for a few more countries when I've got time. Obviously, these prices just give a rough idea- you could spend a lot more if you wanted and less if you really tried.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Thanks. The Australia thing is mainly just one of those always-wanted-to-do things in relation to the Ashes. But I do want to get out of the old comfort zone a bit at times, and it does all seem a bit close to home, metaphorically speaking. Which is why I want to spend a decent amount of time elsewhere too, be that in south east Asia or South America. Always thought spending a bit of time in South America would be a great way of picking up a bit of Spanish (I would make the effort, I'm not a completely rubbish British tourist).

I have four to six months, assuming work agree to it. But the budget isn't unlimited, so I've got to try and fit in my must-do stuff, and then hopefully squeeze in as much of the would-be-nice-to-do stuff while I'm there.

If you go to South America then do a Spanish course before you go, it will help you massively, as you won't have a choice but to speak Spanish there, a lot of the places nobody speaks English, especially in the more obscure countries.

To be fair, Australia will be great for the Ashes, you'll have a great time, but it is basically England with sun and even more annoying locals. South East Asia is amazing, and very humbling, and it's a great place to start as its very third worldly and out of your comfort zone, but very safe. Are you going by yourself? If you are I definitely wouldn't recommend starting in South America, parts of it are quite intimidating, and you'll be spending a lot of time on overnight buses, which isn't the nicest experience if you're a bit nervous. A few months in South East Asia would make you a lot more confident with it, but I'd still recommend travelling with someone else if you can on South America. But don't be put off by this, it is the most fantastic place, it blows Asia and Australia out of the water. Buenos Airies is the coolest city on the face of the planet, and the Rio Carnival is probably just about the best party you could ever imagine. The Amazon is incredible, as is Bolivia, as is everywhere in fact. The Galapagos are just ridiculous. My God, I want to go back!

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend
My partner and I returned from 4 1/2 months travelling this time last year. 1 month in India, 6 weeks in Aus/NZ and the rest across Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Bali, Singapore, Malaysia. Budgeted £5k each, spent nearer to £6k each all in including flights.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here