Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cost of going travelling

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
It's worth planning out a budget for each country. My spending was all over the place but by keeping an eye on budget/spend variance you can usually get back on track within a couple of days.

I budgeted an average of 30 quid a day + anticipated hostel rates for Australia and New Zealand. In Australia the real killer for me was the cost of booze and food. Saying that, meals from food courts in the malls / shopping districts were usually good value and clubbing together to cook something at a hostel isn't too expensive.

In NZ we used the Kiwi bus which wasn't the cheapest way to get around but was a lot of fun. In Asia you can get by very nicely on 10 quid a day, especially if you do street food and use local shops.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
It's worth planning out a budget for each country. My spending was all over the place but by keeping an eye on budget/spend variance you can usually get back on track within a couple of days.

This is sound advice. If money is tight, you should also vary how long you spend in each country according to budget.

By working it out beforehand, it meant on our 2.5-year trip around Asia, we could for example spend 5 months in cheap India, 5 months in cheap Indonesia, 3 months in China, but we limited expensive Japan to just 10 days (would have loved to have stayed there longer, mind).

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
...the real killer for me was the cost of booze...

We cut back on booze considerably, and sometimes went a month or two without any. Saved a shedload of money, and probably lengthened my life by a few years into the bargain, given my boozy lifestyle back in Europe.

el punal

My daughter and her boyfriend did a similar trip in 2004/5. Having saved up sufficient money they went to India, Malasia, Australia, New Zealand, some of the Pacific islands then Canada and home after 12 months away.

Everything was done on a tight budget with a lot a research conducted before setting off. To supplement their travelling expenses, they stopped off in Oz for 5 months and both got jobs working in a bank. For accomodation whilst they were working (in Sydney) they house shared with other ex-pats.

The money that they saved from their jobs enabled them to buy a car (cheap!) to explore the whole of Australia and then selling the car at the end of the trip to another like minded couple.

When on the road, so to speak, they used youth hostels and camp sites.

After Oz they went to New Zealand and hired a camper van and toured both North and South islands, again staying at camp sites. Apparently, this was the cheapest and most effective way of exploring the country.

Then onto the Cook Islands where they helped out on a local community building project in exchange for free accomodation.

The advice my daughter followed, obvious really, is to make sure that you have the right medical jabs for the areas that you're visiting, correct insurance, sufficient dosh etc.

Oh, and the other thing she swore by is to have a Lonely Planet guide for whichever country that you're visiting.

Enjoy the trip and make sure it's in the close season! :)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Then onto the Cook Islands where they helped out on a local community building project in exchange for free accomodation.

Useless fact: When I was in the Cook Islands in 1988 it was the only place in the world with a $3 note in legal circulation. I believe it still is, although they've changed the note design since I was there, so it no longer depicts a naked woman straddling the back of a shark...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My partner and I returned from 4 1/2 months travelling this time last year. 1 month in India, 6 weeks in Aus/NZ and the rest across Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Bali, Singapore, Malaysia. Budgeted £5k each, spent nearer to £6k each all in including flights.

Thanks, that's really useful :thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Methinks that the police pay too much in the way of wages.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Tosh. If you only meet people in hostels then you're not trying very hard.

Over the years while backpacking I've made good friends met in hostels, hotels, bars, restaurants, on mountain tops, on planes, trains, buses, in museums, and one literally I walked past on the street. If you're the sociable type you can make friends anywhere, especially when on holiday.

Yeah OK, it's a lot easier to meet people if you stay in hostels then, especially of you're travelling on your own.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Methinks that the police pay too much in the way of wages.

Methinks you are fast becoming one of the biggest dullards on the board, especially since your second account was outed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Trans Siberian Railway is on my list too.

There's some pretty good websites to get info on, one called seat61.com is very informative. In fact it's good for all worldwide rail travel.

Only problem for me is I don't have a job I can disappear for 6 months from!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Trans Siberian Railway is on my list too.

I know a few people who've done that and all of them said bad things. Apparently the scenery is breathtaking, but the trains are full of psychopathic Russians downing vodka out of the bottle, and generally making everyone's life a misery.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
If you can, target the Brisbane Ashes test, usually it's the first test in the series (early mid November).

If you fly into Brisbane (cheaper than Sydney) after spending time exploring Asia, you can watch the cricket then work out how long to spend in Oz, as in go North, Barrier reef etc, or just travel down to Sydney (great coast line), to fly onto NZ.

If you get a return with stop overs each way in Asia, you can just fly back to Asia if Oz & NZ eat away at your budget. If travelling to NZ best to fly into either Christchurch or Auckland, fly into one but leave from the other. Give priority to the South Island, a lot more scenic.

Hope that helps.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Australia is one of he best places in the world to spend time. Unfortunately because of the weak pound and strong Australian dollar you will need twice as much money as you think you need. It is a very expensive place to visit and you need to work your money out carefully or risk having to move on earlier than planned.
Consider spending some time in India or Sri Lanka it's amazing value and both are fantastic places to visits.

Incorrect. The Aussie dollar has fallen by 10% against all major currencies in the last 3 months

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Tokyo has a bad rep for being expensive which is entirely untrue. I know places where I can drink, eat and have a room for the night all for much less than it would cost me in London.

I think the "Tokyo is expensive" rep comes from tourists who get caught in the tourist traps of Roppongi and Ginza. If you know someone who can show you around and steer you to where the locals hang out you'll be fine.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here