Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CORRECTION: We're eating more pies and drinking more beer than ever before

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Actually a bit more than that, according to the accounts. More than the CEOs at most Premier League clubs get, in fact. But they don't have to deal with NSC.
That doesn't sound very FFP to me. We could pay a mediocre strikers wages for a year with that sort of cash!

:wink:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
"Development of building projects" according to Endole.com - so maybe something to do with the hotel? I wouldn't have thought the training ground needed developing ...
Here's a thing. You're a journalist, if it bothers you that much then do your job and frigging ask the club directly instead of petty innuendo on here.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Here's a thing. You're a journalist, if it bothers you that much then do your job and frigging ask the club directly instead of petty innuendo on here.

I hate to break it to you, but while we are endlessly fascinated by all things Albion, no paper I write for would be at all interested in the building projects of a lower-mid-table (temporarily, we hope) Championship club so I wouldn't be "doing my job" asking them. I'd be abusing access to satisfy my own mild curiosity.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I hate to break it to you, but while we are endlessly fascinated by all things Albion, no paper I write for would be at all interested in the building projects of a lower-mid-table (temporarily, we hope) Championship club so I wouldn't be "doing my job" asking them. I'd be abusing access to satisfy my own mild curiosity.
Ha! You'll never make it far in the Fourth Estate if you insist on integrity! [emoji1]

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
So it's ok for countless ill-informed people to beat the club with a stick, at every perceived opportunity.
Mainly in a cowardly, underhand, faceless, snidey way. (myself included, occasionally)

But not ok for PB to point it out.

Don't you think it just a little unprofessional to show your irritation at your customers views? No matter how those views might irk you. Another way might have been to recognise how the figures might reasonably be interpreted and to be helpful in pointing out the changes to the method of accounting/presenting in order to allay any concerns. I would prefer him to control his ego and think about the club and its relationship with the supporters a little more. Whenever I read anything from Paul Barber it becomes clearer and clearer to me that in his eyes it's Barber and Hove Albion. It is about him, his 'success' with the club a vehicle for him.

The last part about great looking figures for this year in terms of catering sales just takes the biscuit...

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm heading down for the Ipswich game tonight. In training for the Brighton Half Marathon next month and ran 32 miles last week plus a 13 miler at the start of this one. I think I'm good to increase my spend.

Pie me up!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't you think it just a little unprofessional to show your irritation at your customers views? No matter how those views might irk you. Another way might have been to recognise how the figures might reasonably be interpreted and to be helpful in pointing out the changes to the method of accounting/presenting in order to allay any concerns. I would prefer him to control his ego and think about the club and its relationship with the supporters a little more. Whenever I read anything from Paul Barber it becomes clearer and clearer to me that in his eyes it's Barber and Hove Albion. It is about him, his 'success' with the club a vehicle for him.

The last part about great looking figures for this year in terms of catering sales just takes the biscuit...
Fair enough, I certainly get that point of view.

But for me, I like 'earthy' honesty.
I enjoy it when politicians 'go rogue' and say it exactly how it is.
I have a lot more time for straight talking.

Sure in this case it would seem PB has copped out and is taking a slightly unhand approach.
But so what, he's criticised every single day, why shouldn't he snap back every once in a while.
I've been lead to believe the club has no passion commitment or pride.

I say PB should give it both barrels then end each communication hes having with someone telling him how he should do his job, properly:-

'do you know what I was doing at 11pm last night...

...your mum' :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sure in this case it would seem PB has copped out and is taking a slightly unhand approach.
But so what, he's criticised every single day, why shouldn't he snap back every once in a while.

I say PB should give it both barrels then end each communication hes having with someone telling him how he should do his job, properly:-

Agree with this. Much prefer a bit of naked honesty. Good on him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't you think it just a little unprofessional to show your irritation at your customers views? No matter how those views might irk you. Another way might have been to recognise how the figures might reasonably be interpreted and to be helpful in pointing out the changes to the method of accounting/presenting in order to allay any concerns.

I'm not sure how many football clubs would publish their financial accounts online, for free, for anybody for fans to analyse in the first place. I think Albion are the first to ever do this. We can criticise but again what other CEO at a football club would then clearly listen/read comments on a fan message board (and there have been plenty on here criticising this catering line in the accounts - and concluding that we're all going to hell in a Harvey's handcart) and then shared a lengthy explanation ; ie: "be helpful in pointing out the changes to the method of accounting/presenting in order to allay any concerns" at length to a message board owner, a local blogger and a financial journalist who posts on here regularly.
And still that's not good enough. Blimey.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Oh yes, earthy honesty for me too, although not on the Parrish way that you suggested.

Problem is we get spin spin spin spin stab spin spin. More spin to your stab if you like. Consistency would be nice.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'm not sure how many football clubs would publish their financial accounts online, for free, for anybody for fans to analyse in the first place. I think Albion are the first to ever do this. We can criticise but again what other CEO at a football club would then clearly listen/read comments on a fan message board (and there have been plenty on here criticising this catering line in the accounts - and concluding that we're all going to hell in a Harvey's handcart) and then shared a lengthy explanation ; ie: "be helpful in pointing out the changes to the method of accounting/presenting in order to allay any concerns" at length to a message board owner, a local blogger and a financial journalist who posts on here regularly.
And still that's not good enough. Blimey.
You are Paul Barber and I claim my prize (unless it's £10 off when you spend £50 on pies in a single game).

In all seriousness publishing the accounts was really positive and really inclusive, well done Tony or Paul or whoever thought of it. I know they're readily available but most wouldn't bother and it is a really positive message to issue them in this way.

Your point about ceo's monitoring fans message boards hits the nail for me in terms of the polarised view on Barber. I see it as very sinister in the way that it is done. I don't see it as positive for the club, I see it as control by Barber of barber's reputation. Barber and Hove Albion. Threatening fans message boards is far from positive - it is positively bellotti like in my opinion. Odious programme notes are viewed by me in a similar vein. Your take is clearly very different.

Football is all about opinions I guess. I just don't like people in power trying to quash those opinions.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm not sure how many football clubs would publish their financial accounts online, for free, for anybody for fans to analyse in the first place. I think Albion are the first to ever do

We're not the first to do so. Bolton, Wolves and quite a few others already publish theirs.

It was however suggested to the Albion that they publish the accounts last year after they were announced, and fair play for them in doing so.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Now we've trumpeted the impressive improvement in accounts can the club show the same enthusiasm in turning their attention to what is on offer on the pitch please. This part has suffered very badly in assisting the other to improve. :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does Barber also do Lord Ashcroft's election polls? :lolol:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Oh yes, earthy honesty for me too, although not on the Parrish way that you suggested.

Problem is we get spin spin spin spin stab spin spin. More spin to your stab if you like. Consistency would be nice.

“The board is delighted with... the increase in turnover of more than £24 million..." I suppose it is statements from PB like this that rankle a bit - the fact that they are issued to the Argus and remain uncorrected on the basis, I guess, that most people will simply believe them.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In these latest results, we have simply reported the commissions we receive in the new business model. This means that, for comparative purposes, people are looking at (excuse the pun!) apples and pears!
That's not a pun. Barber out!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
It's not referencing feedback, it's referencing people looking at the accounts in an ill-informed manner and saying that the club are struggling with catering sales.

Remember these figures relate to last season when the catering seemed to be as busy as ever on the concourses. The reports that cover this season could be very interesting given the reduced queues that most of us are experiencing.

The accounts show a year on year decrease in catering revenue, not arguing about contracts and franchises I didn't look at costs, just made an obvious statement which is shown on the accounts and doubted the validity of the statement that revenue on pies and beer was up when there are fewer queues and smaller attendance. I also do know my way around a balance sheet and profit and loss account.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Read the whole article. In 2012-13, for the second half of the season, the entire catering revenue was reported as such, but the associated catering costs were also included in "Administrative expenses" (which were not itemised).

The new catering contract with Sodexo for 2013-14 (a commission-based model) means that the catering revenue number for that season is simply the net contribution.

So your statement that "there is a clear decrease in revenue as shown by the club" is not correct, as you cannot compare the two numbers like-for-like.

Whilst you explain I cannot compare the figures as a like for like as the information is not in my hands as to what happened with the catering franchise, I can say that the figure in the accounts shows a decrease as it does. I can also say that I don't see more people buying pies and beer at the ground in the same way that I don't see as many people at the ground. That's what I see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here