Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cornish people to get 'minority status'.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
There are some pointy heads that have never crossed the Tamar to "England".

Cornish born, Cornish bred
Strong in the arm, weak in the head.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
DNA says they are a distinct people than those from Devon and most of the rest of England.

So yes,they are from a different genetic background. There's no debating that. Oxford University mapped the whole of Britian.

Most of the people that live there aren't Cornish of origin. They tend to be people who move down there from the rest of the country (sometimes from Devon) to embrace the culture, and then claim they are part of some rich heritage. Most are just in it for the surfing, especially in the bigger towns such as Newquay.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
European elections coming up.
Cornwall leans towards UKIP
So Danny Alexander (lib dem) travels all the way down to Saltash on the hope that most people think this is an EU initiative which it is not, it is the European Council which is totally different.
Result. Many happy Cornish people. Very pissed off UKIP MEP. Very Smug Alexander.
Politics really stinks.

Being from Devon, I naturally have a particular annoyance with Cornwall and those Wildlings from beyond the bridge.

They seem to think they're special and apart from the rest of the country, when actually they really aren't.

Also the landscape of Cornwall is incredibly overrated, in their own minds they think it's like the beautiful parts of Ireland. Devon is much nicer and the people actually care about what's going on in the rest of the country rather than their own little sect.
In an earlier life, I had a load of Cornish in-laws and there was no better way to wind them up than to say "I like Devon and Cornwall, it's a lovely part of the country". Some of them even referred to a journey to Plymouth as a trip to England.

But, in truth, I enjoy the fact that localities can bring out the divisive element in everyone. Out here in Firle, we've never forgiven the people of Glynde for being on the wrong side during the English Civil War. And any suggestion that the two village cricket teams might arrange a friendly fixture is universally met with total derision.

"Onen hag Oll"

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
As a newcomer to Cornwall, I feel duty bound to comment on this thread, but what surprises me is how wound up some people on this board seem to feel about minorities.

I'm hoping it will mean we get proper weather forecasts for Cornwall, rather than being lumped in with Exeter, Bristol and other places 100 miles to the east!

We did get a brand new multilingual street sign last week, which I'm learning to pronounce (below).

photo.jpg

As mentioned previously in this thread, the DNA doesn't lie - my understanding is they've been on these islands longer than any of us, which must make them more "British" than us JCLs.

Anyway, I love it here - the people, the place. Spent a lovely day strolling the cliffs on the north coast near Portreath. :moo::O

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As a newcomer to Cornwall, I feel duty bound to comment on this thread, but what surprises me is how wound up some people on this board seem to feel about minorities.

I'm hoping it will mean we get proper weather forecasts for Cornwall, rather than being lumped in with Exeter, Bristol and other places 100 miles to the east!

We did get a brand new multilingual street sign last week, which I'm learning to pronounce (below).

View attachment 53072

As mentioned previously in this thread, the DNA doesn't lie - my understanding is they've been on these islands longer than any of us, which must make them more "British" than us JCLs.

Anyway, I love it here - the people, the place. Spent a lovely day strolling the cliffs on the north coast near Portreath. :moo::O

I have lived on the border for 12 years. Us immigrants need to post an opinion as the Devonians and Cornish are so biased.
For me I love Cornwall its a fantastic county to visit and live in if you are able to. The people are generally very quirky and at times odd but like most things you need to get to know their ways and history.
It took me 4 years to get the hang of Cornish ways but I now get it.
But as a fan of Cornwall if I was asked to choose which county I prefer I would say Devon, it really is that good for many reasons.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I have lived on the border for 12 years. Us immigrants need to post an opinion as the Devonians and Cornish are so biased.
For me I love Cornwall its a fantastic county to visit and live in if you are able to. The people are generally very quirky and at times odd but like most things you need to get to know their ways and history.
But as a fan of Cornwall if I was asked to choose which county I prefer I would say Devon, it really is that good for many reasons.

I do like the way Cornish people are proud of their heritage, and stand up to the English. Living in the city means it's easier for us to pick and chose our friends, rather than having to fit in with village life - that might have been difficult. But everyone is friendlier down here, and seems to have more time instead of always being in a hurry. Maybe it's an "end of the line" or even "island" mentality, which I can't imagine in Devon. Why do you prefer Devon?

In the eight months I've lived here I've only crossed the border twice - once for a family trip to Sussex, and once for a game at Home Park. And I've no plans to leave the county again!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

View attachment 53072

Cornish seagull!

Nov 18, 2010
Cornwall
I think some of the issues were parliament making decisions on behalf of Cornwall without consulting the Cornish first. So to have a say in matters is the thing that people are the happiest about, but what do I know apparently we're simpletons :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In an earlier life, I had a load of Cornish in-laws and there was no better way to wind them up than to say "I like Devon and Cornwall, it's a lovely part of the country". Some of them even referred to a journey to Plymouth as a trip to England.

But, in truth, I enjoy the fact that localities can bring out the divisive element in everyone. Out here in Firle, we've never forgiven the people of Glynde for being on the wrong side during the English Civil War. And any suggestion that the two village cricket teams might arrange a friendly fixture is universally met with total derision.

"Onen hag Oll"

I reckon you lot in the East should join with Kent anyway.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I do like the way Cornish people are proud of their heritage, and stand up to the English. Living in the city means it's easier for us to pick and chose our friends, rather than having to fit in with village life - that might have been difficult. But everyone is friendlier down here, and seems to have more time instead of always being in a hurry. Maybe it's an "end of the line" or even "island" mentality, which I can't imagine in Devon. Why do you prefer Devon?

In the eight months I've lived here I've only crossed the border twice - once for a family trip to Sussex, and once for a game at Home Park. And I've no plans to leave the county again!

Reading my post again it came over a bit misleading.
Lets just say that the 2 counties are both unique and beautiful and I love living here so that we can enjoy both.
The only thing I will say about Cornwall is that parts of it are not as picturesque as Devon but on the other hand large parts of Cornwall are just magical and even now I find some of the died in the wall stubborn Cornish people too quirky for me yet they can be the funniest people I have met.
Lets call it a draw.Very difficult to compare really without splitting silly hairs.
The only downside to living here is that I rarely get to the Amex so I carefully choose which games to go to. I was sure that the Blackpool game was going to be brilliant so after spending £200 last weekend as you can imagine I got home at stupid o clock very disappointed.But my recovery time is still 3 days and I wish I was back there tomorrow.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cornwall's status is similar to that of Brittany in the sense that it is, in effect, a Celtic nation, similar to Wales and Scotland. It is understandable, given also it's geographic location, why they want such recognition.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

"Onen hag Oll"

I would imagine that Glynde would see Firle as a poor cricketing cousin, given their advances in the national competitions and their County League membership. That said, they probably don't have a vicar as hip as yours ! (unless he serves that parish too)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Most of the people that live there aren't Cornish of origin. They tend to be people who move down there from the rest of the country (sometimes from Devon) to embrace the culture, and then claim they are part of some rich heritage. Most are just in it for the surfing, especially in the bigger towns such as Newquay.

Obviously that's not true if the genetic infomation Oxford University obtained showed a distinct difference in DNA to that of the wider English population.

If as you say most arent Cornish then the DNA study would have showed that. It seemed to show the opposite.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Obviously that's not true if the genetic infomation Oxford University obtained showed a distinct difference in DNA to that of the wider English population.

If as you say most arent Cornish then the DNA study would have showed that. It seemed to show the opposite.

If the study you keep talking about is the one I'm thinking of, the dna was taken from people who had all four grandparents from the same place. Therefore anyone who had moved there wouldn't be included in the study.

As a side note, whilst there are some genetic differences in regional dna they are fairly minor. We're all Celtic at the most fundamental level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here