Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Cordless electric mowers

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Help. I bought a Greenworks one middle of last summer and was delighted with it last year, no problems. This year however, probably due to the rain it has really struggled to cope with the extra length to cut. It basically cuts out ALL the time, well after about a minute of running, and this gets worse the more I persevere. Have asked a few lawn mower repair shops about it but they got very snooty about not touching it because it's a cheap machine. It cost £370 by the way.

Anyone else had similar problems.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Happy to pay more if it's going to actually work.

Had petrol mowers previously but they have their own issues and I have generally enjoyed going electric until now.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Have you double checked the cutter is not being blocked by wet grass building up inside . Mine does that but when I clear it underneath , it starts working again .

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I bought an EGO mower last year. Really pleased with it. From memory it was about £400. Battery life is great, same power as a petrol mower, and they're also interoperable with other EGO cordless tools.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
If I leave my grass too long I have to raise the cutting blade to avoid it cutting out.
If I want it shorter I then go over it again with the blade lowered.

The only alternative is removing the cut grass from underneath every couple of minutes.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I have used Bosch electric mowers, and mine lasted 9 years before I didn’t need it any more, but the amount of grass I could cut between charges would drop slightly each year, by year 3 not quite finishing the area I had to cut.

I solved the problem by buying a 2nd battery and could use one while the other’s on charge. Batteries are pricy, I think I paid £120 for the second battery, but it’s still a damn sight easier then mucking about with cans of petrol and overall I think I saved, remembering some of the maintenance bills petrol mowers left me with over the years.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Have you double checked the cutter is not being blocked by wet grass building up inside . Mine does that but when I clear it underneath , it starts working again .
My corded electric Flymo does that as well. Doesn't cut out completely, but the catcher is ridiculously bad if the grass is even remotely not dry or dense. The grass builds up in the mouth of the catcher then starts falling back out onto the blades, which then causes the cut outs.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I’ve heard the Makita strimmers are good, not sure what size garden you have or how well manicured a look your going for though. Also a bonus if you use Makita hardware in general as you can switch the batteries between machines.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Can you contact the manufacturer, I’ve just looked at the Greenworks site and the mowers I looked at have 3 years warranty.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Help. I bought a Greenworks one middle of last summer and was delighted with it last year, no problems. This year however, probably due to the rain it has really struggled to cope with the extra length to cut. It basically cuts out ALL the time, well after about a minute of running, and this gets worse the more I persevere. Have asked a few lawn mower repair shops about it but they got very snooty about not touching it because it's a cheap machine. It cost £370 by the way.

Anyone else had similar problems.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Happy to pay more if it's going to actually work.

Had petrol mowers previously but they have their own issues and I have generally enjoyed going electric until now.

Is it a cylinder or rotary mower ?

My experience is that electric mowers don't have the same power as petrol driven, but this isn't so noticeable with a rotary mower. I always used to insist on a cylinder mower to keep a fine lawn, but unless you're maintaining a proper bowling green at a really short length you can get good finishes with a nice sharp rotary as long as it collects the cut grass.

If it is an electric cylinder, then the only suggestion I would have to stop it bunging up and stopping is mowing it twice at a longer length and then shorter (as a few have suggested above). Good luck :thumbsup:

*edit* Just looked it up and appears to be rotary - possibly same solution - 2 cuts (or more frequent - I cut every fortnight minimum in 'normal' summers, even more important if it's self propelled. If it's manually propelled, slow down :wink:)

Last edited:

SteveU

May 31, 2022
Bought a Makita cordless mower from their LXT range, has been perfect with no issues.

Think it approx without the batteries

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I’ve heard the Makita strimmers are good, not sure what size garden you have or how well manicured a look your going for though. Also a bonus if you use Makita hardware in general as you can switch the batteries between machines.
Have a Makita lawn mower/strimmer/hedge cutter/ telescopic hedge cutter not to mention various drills and other bits and it’s all excellent quality.

I have a mate who owned a tool business so I got most of it at cost. The biggest outlay is for the batteries and the charger but once you have them they fit everything. Sadly they don’t make a scarifier as I would buy one in a heartbeat. Mine has a cable and drives me nuts the couple of times a year I use it.

I think I paid ~£200 for the mower. The batteries (you need two for the mower) and the dual charger was ~£220. Had it 5 years now and it’s still brilliant. Takes me 45 mins to an hour to do the front and back of mine and the batteries usually have one or two bars left from a full charge.

Sadly said aforementioned pals business has fallen foul to the general increase in cost of materials in the building industry meaning local builders aren’t hiring/buying as many tools and he’s had to shut up shop so I can’t point you in his direction.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I have used Bosch electric mowers, and mine lasted 9 years before I didn’t need it any more, but the amount of grass I could cut between charges would drop slightly each year, by year 3 not quite finishing the area I had to cut.

I solved the problem by buying a 2nd battery and could use one while the other’s on charge. Batteries are pricy, I think I paid £120 for the second battery, but it’s still a damn sight easier then mucking about with cans of petrol and overall I think I saved, remembering some of the maintenance bills petrol mowers left me with over the years.
Almost a mirror image of me! I have a Bosch and mine is now 12 years old and still going strong, although there is always a sharp intake of breath each spring when I fire it up for the first time.
I have 2 batteries as well but there as old as the mower and still fine.
I've only had it serviced once and purchased about 3 new blades over the years.
Only downside is they are not cheap. I think mine was over £300 all those years ago. but worth it if you spread over 12 years.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Have a Makita lawn mower/strimmer/hedge cutter/ telescopic hedge cutter not to mention various drills and other bits and it’s all excellent quality.

I have a mate who owned a tool business so I got most of it at cost. The biggest outlay is for the batteries and the charger but once you have them they fit everything. Sadly they don’t make a scarifier as I would buy one in a heartbeat. Mine has a cable and drives me nuts the couple of times a year I use it.

I think I paid ~£200 for the mower. The batteries (you need two for the mower) and the dual charger was ~£220. Had it 5 years now and it’s still brilliant. Takes me 45 mins to an hour to do the front and back of mine and the batteries usually have one or two bars left from a full charge.

Sadly said aforementioned pals business has fallen foul to the general increase in cost of materials in the building industry meaning local builders aren’t hiring/buying as many tools and he’s had to shut up shop so I can’t point you in his direction.
Another vote for Makita if you going to have more DIY type tools as well - I have the 36v brush cutter and mower and they're the business. We've fenced off about 3.5 acres for ponds, meadow and woodland so they're getting some work, the brush cutter will go for a good 45 mins with 2 5ah batteries, the mower good for cutting about 800m of pathways depending on the length/dryness of the grass! Even my mower cuts out occasionally, you have to raise the blades if you're working in wet or long grass of if you're on uneven ground - The battery mowers don't like cutting in to the soil They'll all cut out at some point so as mentioned you can raise the blades or use a strimmer/brushcutter to reduce the height?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thank you for all your comments so far. A few good suggestions here. I have tried raising the cutting length and that is better for sure although then lowering again causes continuous problems. I’ll consider this and also the suggestion on the warranty as I have only had it a year.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Should probably mention I mow on a slight incline as well although mowing downhill I have the same problem as uphill!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It’s certainly doing the trick :bowdown:

IMG_1380.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here