Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corbyn's Republicanism, The Privy Council and national security

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Its all over for Corbyn anyway, if the report about tonight's meeting of the PLP on the BBC website is anything to go by...

It was a long and difficult meeting of the Parliamentary Labour Party.
One MP said it was the worst they had ever been to. Jeremy Corbyn was apparently "read the riot act" and said nothing. Another described it as "shambolic", lacking "any aspect of democratic politics".
A former shadow cabinet member told me it was "without doubt one of the most heated" PLPs and that "passions were running high". Others were clearly outraged at the shadow chancellor's change of plan.
As he left the meeting, former cabinet minister Ben Bradshaw branded it a "total shambles".
John Mann MP was furious, he shouted so loudly at the party's leadership he was easily audible in the corridor outside.
Despite that anger, a spokesman for Mr Corbyn said the meeting had been "warm and friendly" claiming the only disagreement had been on the need for there to be more discussion on the issue.
It all shows the seriousness of the cracks within the party and many in Labour will worry about how much worse it could all get.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A former shadow cabinet member told me it was "without doubt one of the most heated" PLPs and that "passions were running high". Others were clearly outraged at the shadow chancellor's change of plan.[/I]

in reference to changing policy on the fiscal charter, for context. bit more significant than PC technicalities, so back to politics we can all understand - Corbyn and McDonnell want to spend at will. the most interesting part is the spokesmans response, both denial of reality and a great understatement on need for more discussion.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Its all over for Corbyn anyway, if the report about tonight's meeting of the PLP on the BBC website is anything to go by...

It was a long and difficult meeting of the Parliamentary Labour Party.
One MP said it was the worst they had ever been to. Jeremy Corbyn was apparently "read the riot act" and said nothing. Another described it as "shambolic", lacking "any aspect of democratic politics".
A former shadow cabinet member told me it was "without doubt one of the most heated" PLPs and that "passions were running high". Others were clearly outraged at the shadow chancellor's change of plan.
As he left the meeting, former cabinet minister Ben Bradshaw branded it a "total shambles".
John Mann MP was furious, he shouted so loudly at the party's leadership he was easily audible in the corridor outside.
Despite that anger, a spokesman for Mr Corbyn said the meeting had been "warm and friendly" claiming the only disagreement had been on the need for there to be more discussion on the issue.
It all shows the seriousness of the cracks within the party and many in Labour will worry about how much worse it could all get.

Begs the question is Corbyn a plant, if Jeremy Beadle was alive i would expect him to walk in any minute.....

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Actually this may all be a blessing in disguise - the idea of Corbyn being privy to national security issues is, in the light of his past dalliances, quite scary.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
But he's not in charge of our armed forces and never will be unless he is elected to be so. I don't see what is so absurd about that.

Are you going to reply to my last post? I'm genuinely interested , I'm not trolling , but you initially said you wanted to see evidence of corbyns pro ira support , it's been presented both in documentary form and him refusing to,condemn ira violence in interviews, yet he still has your support ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Are you going to reply to my last post? I'm genuinely interested , I'm not trolling , but you initially said you wanted to see evidence of corbyns pro ira support , it's been presented both in documentary form and him refusing to,condemn ira violence in interviews, yet he still has your support ?
Im on my phone but I don't think I did ask for evidence. You just provided it. Regardless, I'd forgive him for it anyway, even if I respect your decision not to do so.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Im on my phone but I don't think I did ask for evidence. You just provided it. Regardless, I'd forgive him for it anyway, even if I respect your decision not to do so.

Absolutely astonishing the Values you have, you're as bad a quisling as Corbyn.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Absolutely astonishing the priorities you have.
And if you had been running the show, Northern Ireland would still be a war zone with thousands dead but with you righteously pointing the finger at terrorists rather than conceding anything.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And if you had been running the show, Northern Ireland would still be a war zone with thousands dead but with you righteously pointing the finger at terrorists rather than conceding anything.

Compromise or capitulation ....... not the same thing.

There is a big difference to acknowledge some politicians actions for brokering some kind of deal and forgiving a man who seemingly supported the murderous action of the IRA.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Absolute rubbish, Ive stated on here on numerous occasions that i fully support the peace process and the good friday agreement, and corbyn and mcdonnell had nothing whatsoever to do with either of these things , they never took part in any peace talks , and never had any authorisation or mandate to meet the ira for these purposes , they met them to offer support,if they were truly after establishing contacts to make peace they'd have met the loyalists too , they didnt. corbyn held a minutes silence for the ira men killed at loughall ffs , this , while they were still killing british soldiers , just have the balls to admit it , you couldnt give a f*ck about the lives of british soldiers , you might make mealy mouthed platitudes but in reality you think of them as violent working class chavs too thick to have any other job, and worst of all in your eyes they're probably RACIST ,quite simply youre a quisling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One thing I've learnt today is what Quisling means.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It would be a crying shame if that is all you have learned from that post ..........................

True. I'm reading these exchanges with interest. And to be honest it is interesting and it's helping me reconcile certain conundrums I have with Corbyn.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Absolute rubbish, Ive stated on here on numerous occasions that i fully support the peace process and the good friday agreement, and corbyn and mcdonnell had nothing whatsoever to do with either of these things , they never took part in any peace talks , and never had any authorisation or mandate to meet the ira for these purposes , they met them to offer support,if they were truly after establishing contacts to make peace they'd have met the loyalists too , they didnt. corbyn held a minutes silence for the ira men killed at loughall ffs , this , while they were still killing british soldiers , just have the balls to admit it , you couldnt give a f*ck about the lives of british soldiers , you might make mealy mouthed platitudes but in reality you think of them as violent working class chavs too thick to have any other job, and worst of all in your eyes they're probably RACIST ,quite simply youre a quisling.

I think you need to calm down.

Ultimately, you trot out the obscenities and slurs because I dare to disagree with you that Corbyn's actions with regard to Northern Ireland are not absurd. I'm not saying it's a good thing that he stood for a minute's silence for IRA people killed. But as unpalatable as that may be to you; a) what is he supposed to do when surround by Irish republicans and b) does he not do exactly the same thing for the deaths of British soldiers every November? I bet he does. The bloke's a pacifist as I understand it.

So you're entitled to your opinion, especially as a vet of NI. I can and do respect that. But personally I know I'm not a quisling, and I don't really care that you think otherwise - you're permanently angry. And you really should take back the bit I highlighted as I have nothing but the up-most respect for the lives of British soldiers as you'd discover if you bothered to read any of my posts on poppies, the Falklands, Gibraltar or politicians sending them into stupid ill-considered middle eastern wars (we lost a good family friend in Afghanistan), or anything else for that matter.

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Ultimately, you trot out the obscenities and slurs because I dare to disagree with you that Corbyn's actions with regard to Northern Ireland are not absurd. I'm not saying it's a good thing that he stood for a minute's silence for IRA people killed. But as unpalatable as that may be to you; a) what is he supposed to do when surround by Irish republicans and b) does he not do exactly the same thing for the deaths of British soldiers every November? I bet he does. The bloke's a pacifist as I understand it.

So you're entitled to your opinion, especially as a vet of NI. I can and do respect that. But personally I know I'm not a quisling, and I don't really care that you think otherwise - your permanently angry. And you really should take back the bit I highlighted as I have nothing but the up-most respect for the lives of British soldiers as you'd discover if you bothered to read any of my posts on poppies, the Falklands, Gibraltar or politicians sending them into stupid ill-considered middle eastern wars (we lost a good family friend in Afghanistan), or anything else for that matter.
He did it in f*cking westminster.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He did it in f*cking westminster.
So he didn't do it surrounded by Irish republicans? I can only assume he did so because of his pacifism. I don't know. It doesn't look good otherwise, I'd agree.

By the way, what about the rest of my post?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

He stood resolutely and not sing in front of our war heroes at the Battle of England memorial event, but then somehow found it wholly reasonable to stand and respect some IRA supporting Republicans.

You ask 'what is he supposed to do' ?? Not knowing the answer says it all .....

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
So he didn't do it surrounded by Irish republicans? I can only assume he did so because of his pacifism. I don't know. It doesn't look good otherwise, I'd agree.

By the way, what about the rest of my post?
if you cared as much as you claim then corbyn would turn your stomach as much as he does mine , i can only think youre blinded by the excuses being made for him , for instance you assumed he was with irish republicans when he did the minutes silence, he wasnt, and even if he was , can you imagine me meekly aquiescing ? if you feel like that then why the support for james mclean and his refusal to wear a poppy, why is it always us who have to respect others whilst getting none ourselves ? , have you even bothered to read the telegraph link?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He stood resolutely and not sing in front of our war heroes at the Battle of England memorial event, but then somehow found it wholly reasonable to stand and respect some IRA supporting Republicans.

You ask 'what is he supposed to do' ?? Not knowing the answer says it all .....

He didn't sing the national anthem because he is a republican. There are plenty of people who find the national anthem objectionable and plenty of war heroes who couldn't give a toss that he didn't sing it. As for "not knowing the answer said it all", I made it perfectly clear that when I said "what is he supposed to do", I assumed he was doing it in Ireland, surrounded by republicans. I have already said it doesn't look good if that isn't the case. Please read what I wrote in full before commenting like a simpleton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here