Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corbyn's Republicanism, The Privy Council and national security

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He stood resolutely and not sing in front of our war heroes at the Battle of England memorial event, but then somehow found it wholly reasonable to stand and respect some IRA supporting Republicans.

You ask 'what is he supposed to do' ?? Not knowing the answer says it all .....

I don't want to get dragged into the IRA discussion but I will separate out and say something about the singing, or lack of it. I've been to a number of memorials and funerals etc and I don't sing. It's just a personal choice. I reflect and remember in my own way and am comfortable with this, as are those around me. And it doesn't diminish my respect for anyone.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
if you cared as much as you claim then corbyn would turn your stomach as much as he does mine , i can only think youre blinded by the excuses being made for him , for instance you assumed he was with irish republicans when he did the minutes silence, he wasnt, and even if he was , can you imagine me meekly aquiescing ? if you feel like that then why the support for james mclean and his refusal to wear a poppy, why is it always us who have to respect others whilst getting none ourselves ? , have you even bothered to read the telegraph link?

Sorry, I'm not debating this any more. I'd go to the trouble of reading your links if you presented your arguments more fairly rather than just calling me a quisling who considers all British troops thick and racist and worthless. Totally unfair. I have work to do anyway.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I don't want to get dragged into the IRA discussion but I will separate out and say something about the singing, or lack of it. I've been to a number of memorials and funerals etc and I don't sing. It's just a personal choice. I reflect and remember in my own way and am comfortable with this, as are those around me. And it doesn't diminish my respect for anyone.
why ?? Because you might have to face or admit some unpalatable facts about how you feel ??

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Sorry, I'm not debating this any more. I'd go to the trouble of reading your links if you presented your arguments more fairly rather than just calling me a quisling who considers all British troops thick and racist and worthless. Totally unfair. I have work to do anyway.
You probably have read my links , its just that to admit you have and still support corbyn reveals some uncomfortable truths.ah i see the old dave in prague ''ive got work to do '' excuse is being trotted out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
why ?? Because you might have to face or admit some unpalatable facts about how you feel ??

No. Because it will be quite a heated discussion and require me to very carefully consider and choose my words; it's an emotive subject. I am not able to do give this level of concentration today. I'll also admit I'm still thinking some things over. And I have had to face up to some things and what they mean to me; I have mentioned before my decision to support and vote for Corbyn wasn't an easy one for a number of varied reasons.

I will discuss it, but not today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
One thing I've learnt today is what Quisling means.

It appears to mean - someone collaborating with an occupying force.

New word for a loyalist in NI then?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Of course you dont, thats the key bit, it underpins his hypocrisy, thats the discussion bit .................

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
By trawling through the archives of Hansard (the official record of Commons debates), the News Letter can show that the decision stirred the ire of a string of unionists at the time – including the Rev Ian Paisley.
Another of the criticisms often made of Mr Corbyn is that in 1984, the year after he had been elected, he was responsible for bringing republican figures into the House of Commons for a meeting.
Rev Paisley told the House on December 20, 1984: “Every right-thinking person in Northern Ireland utterly abhorred the action taken by the honourable member for Islington North when he brought into the House Linda Quigley, who has been convicted as a member of the IRA.

“She said that she supported the IRA’s view that the British Government were a legitimate target. Therefore, she supported the bombing at Brighton, when an attempt was made to murder the Government.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/no...od-in-honour-of-dead-ira-terrorists-1-7008757

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
By trawling through the archives of Hansard (the official record of Commons debates), the News Letter can show that the decision stirred the ire of a string of unionists at the time – including the Rev Ian Paisley.
Another of the criticisms often made of Mr Corbyn is that in 1984, the year after he had been elected, he was responsible for bringing republican figures into the House of Commons for a meeting.
Rev Paisley told the House on December 20, 1984: “Every right-thinking person in Northern Ireland utterly abhorred the action taken by the honourable member for Islington North when he brought into the House Linda Quigley, who has been convicted as a member of the IRA.

“She said that she supported the IRA’s view that the British Government were a legitimate target. Therefore, she supported the bombing at Brighton, when an attempt was made to murder the Government.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/no...od-in-honour-of-dead-ira-terrorists-1-7008757

With the best will in the world, it was not too difficult to stir the ire of Paisley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here