Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Coogan as Saville on BBC One

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
You could say “rubber neck fool” about people who watch any ww2 documentaries 🤷🏻. Odd comment.
Indeed. Odd in the extreme.
He's dead! Not sure he benefits too much from publicity and, even if he wasn't, no one who watches will have anything but revulsion for him. It's uncomfortable viewing but so is Schindler's List. There are literally 1000s of dramas and documentaries about all manor of terrible subjects - they aren't celebrating or providing publicity for those subjects, they are examining them. If that's (understandably) not of interest to you then watch something else.
Very much this. As an example Saving Private Ryan is a brilliant but at times brutal film particularly in those opening scenes. Its subject matter is uncomfortable for any respecter of humanity but not watching it doesn't change anything.

By saying you enjoyed this show you neither endorse his actions or revel in the trauma of his victims. You do appreciate the acting and it's thought provoking. It just does it in a different manner than perhaps a straight documentary.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Just bumped into this. *shudder*

So, so many red flags...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Watched it all lastnight, he had the BBC,police and politicians exactly where he wanted them. Many should hold their heads in shame

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure of those boycotting this series as some kind of "protest" tbh. I finished it last night, and grotesque as the subject matter is, I still found it fascinating. Particularly at Savile's deranged mental balancing act of using all the money he raised through charity as some kind of counter-balance attempt in his own mind for the revolting torrent of toxic filth he was imposing on all of his victims.

An uncomfortable watch for sure, but it provided an insight to him which I had not realised before. The fact that it is a thoroughly disgusting subject matter is not a reason to close your eyes to it. I have read and watched a heck of a lot about the holocaust, and it has given me a greater understanding than just turning my back on it because it delves into the deeper, disturbing aspects of humanity in our time.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's all a bit odd why you would put yourself through such a thing. While we have imaginations that this man was one of the worst ever, why go through all the details of it too? It's just wrong in my view. Please continue to put yourself through pain, if that is what cheers you up. I won't be watching it or anything similar anytime soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231015_145041_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231015_145041_Chrome.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 34

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

So, so many red flags...

I wonder what body language experts and psychologists make of this interview. When the questioning got tough he started eating a banana, the lit up a cigar?? I find footage like this fascinating now we know the truth.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wonder what body language experts and psychologists make of this interview. When the questioning got tough he started eating a banana, the lit up a cigar?? I find footage like this fascinating now we know the truth.
He just made everything into a big joke didn't he, constantly leering at the audience seeking affirmation via some cheap laughs, to pass off his revolting predatory behaviour as "fun fun fun" - making out as if it was all consentual.

I won't claim I was ever "on to him" prior to his death, and the revelations that then came out. Loved his shows as a kid, but as I got older he just seemed a bit weird. I had no idea of the horrors he was up to though, which is indicative of the reason he got away for it for so long.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's all this fuss about watching a programme about Savile? He was a humanoid turd, of course, nobody (I hope) disputes that. So were Fred and Rose - plenty of documentaries made about them, without too much angst on NSC. So was Jack the Ripper - programmes - and even films about him. And weren't the Peaky Blinders exciting, eh? Countless TV programmes feature murder, lots of it, both fictional and non-fictional. How many of those have NSCers watched at some time over the years?
Anybody want to say 'No, no, no - I've never watched any such programme'? I'd require a lie detector before I'd believe you.............

I haven't watched the Savile programme - wasn't interested, but I might do now after this thread to see Coogan's performance. But so help me, I do detect an element of virtue-signalling in some of the 'I'd never dream of watching disgusting stuff like that' type answers!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Watched the Netflix documentary and then the first couple of episodes of the Coogan drama.

The Netflix doc made it clear that it was easy for him to control the situation with his lawyers and establishment cronies.
What really brought him out into the open was social media sites where people, who had first hand experiences, were able to out him.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

So, so many red flags...

That's very grim. Get the impression Andrew Neil knew, Savile knew he knew but also that he himself was untouchable. And that neither of them wanted to be part of the charade of the interview.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here