Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Coogan as Saville on BBC One

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
We now have massive loads of safeguarding and games are changing everywhere. More than 1000 met police likely to be charged with using their job in order to pursue an agenda of hate and abuse? The age of giving a celebrity their own key to the kids' ward in a hospital is long gone.

But, yes, I suppose that if there is anyone out there who still thinks Savile was a good lad then watching the programme may change their mind. Frankly, however, I'm not interested in people like that.

You appear to be are missing the key point. This Savile drama illustrates how showbiz, celebrity and power dazzles people and that this needs to be constantly re-learned. A current example is Russell Brand who it now transpires was commonly regarded in the comedy world as a sexual predator who wasn't too not fussed about the age of consent, but nobody blew the whistle. Or if they did they were ignored. Indeed Brand used many of the tactics devised by Savile to hide in plain sight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was attempting a reply.......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No evidence Brand disregarded age of consent as far as I am aware.

Also, how many people on here waited till the girl was 16 before piling in? Or were 16 themselves. Not say it's right, of course.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Clicked on this despite not having watched it, and although I have no ill will toward Steve Coogan or the BBC: I’m not convinced that the organisation that (inadvertently) allowed Jimmy Savile to wander free abusing kids should then be dramatising and promoting something horrific that can only be made because their obliviousness/(in)action made that possible. Please tell me that at least all actors donated their fees and all proceeds are going to NSPCC or something similar?

I’m very pro-BBC, but this felt like a misstep to me. I’m glad SC has put in a brilliant performance as an actor, but f***ing hell.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Talk of a Bafta for Coogan but not getting it because of the subject may be correct, but what about the behind the scenes staff? Surely makeup deserves a mention.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Clicked on this despite not having watched it, and although I have no ill will toward Steve Coogan or the BBC: I’m not convinced that the organisation that (inadvertently) allowed Jimmy Savile to wander free abusing kids should then be dramatising and promoting something horrific that can only be made because their obliviousness/(in)action made that possible. Please tell me that at least all actors donated their fees and all proceeds are going to NSPCC or something similar?

I’m very pro-BBC, but this felt like a misstep to me. I’m glad SC has put in a brilliant performance as an actor, but f***ing hell.
It was made by ITV who may well have pitched it to the BBC.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Just watched the first episode and Coogan deserves any accolades that may come his way, for his portrayal of Savile. It's already a hard watch and it shows how relatively easy it was, back then, to get away with almost anything.
We all know it still goes on, but the bastards will have a far harder time hiding it, nowadays.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Me and Mrs PWK are watching but I seriously can’t make up my mind if I’m enjoying this televisual feast or not. Every aspect of this ‘dramatisation’ makes him look like a complete c**t
That's because he was a complete c**t.

Most 1970s and 1980s DJs gave me the creeps, but Savile was by far the most weird even before he was outed.

The Louis Theroux interviews were toe curling.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
It was made by ITV who may well have pitched it to the BBC.

I’m glad to hear that, I’d somehow got it stuck in my head that it was a BBC production, and that had sat uncomfortably with me. I’m still unlikely to watch it, but at least I’ve not got that (unwarranted) additional layer of unease around the production. Thank you.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We now have massive loads of safeguarding and games are changing everywhere. More than 1000 met police likely to be charged with using their job in order to pursue an agenda of hate and abuse? The age of giving a celebrity their own key to the kids' ward in a hospital is long gone.

But, yes, I suppose that if there is anyone out there who still thinks Savile was a good lad then watching the programme may change their mind. Frankly, however, I'm not interested in people like that.
You're not suppposed to enjoy it, but it's good for you (a bit like good purgative).

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
No evidence Brand disregarded age of consent as far as I am aware.

Also, how many people on here waited till the girl was 16 before piling in? Or were 16 themselves. Not say it's right, of course.
I think it's best if you stop right here before you dig yourself in deeper...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it's best if you stop right here before you dig yourself in deeper...
I have no shovel.

What have I said that's wrong?

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
How extraordinary that you think "publicity" is a motivation for someone who is dead...
Not at all this is giving Savile and his sick nature exactly what he wants 'The centre of attention that he got off on so badly'. If I were PC plod I'd be having a sharp look at those people who wished to bring his face on the beeb again.

What an odd comment. Are you one of those people who claim that BBC waste tax payers money making stuff you don't like or understand?

Not at all, I understand that there is good and evil, let's promote the good and not the evil, I really don't want to pay for evil publicity regarding a kiddie fiddler.

Do you?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Not at all this is giving Savile and his sick nature exactly what he wants 'The centre of attention that he got off on so badly'. If I were PC plod I'd be having a sharp look at those people who wished to bring his face on the beeb again.

Not at all, I understand that there is good and evil, let's promote the good and not the evil, I really don't want to pay for evil publicity regarding a kiddie fiddler.

Do you?
He's dead! Not sure he benefits too much from publicity and, even if he wasn't, no one who watches will have anything but revulsion for him. It's uncomfortable viewing but so is Schindler's List. There are literally 1000s of dramas and documentaries about all manor of terrible subjects - they aren't celebrating or providing publicity for those subjects, they are examining them. If that's (understandably) not of interest to you then watch something else.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
He's dead! Not sure he benefits too much from publicity and, even if he wasn't, no one who watches will have anything but revulsion for him. It's uncomfortable viewing but so is Schindler's List. There are literally 1000s of dramas and documentaries about all manor of terrible subjects - they aren't celebrating or providing publicity for those subjects, they are examining them. If that's (understandably) not of interest to you then watch something else.
It's all a bit odd why you would put yourself through such a thing. While we have imaginations that this man was one of the worst ever, why go through all the details of it too? It's just wrong in my view. Please continue to put yourself through pain, if that is what cheers you up. I won't be watching it or anything similar anytime soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here