Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Conveyancing advice for a first time buyer

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
Partner and I had an offer accepted on leasehold flat in Burgess Hill last week - now need to find a solicitor to get property off the market.

Been trying to find a conveyancing firm, which has been a bit of a nightmare thus far.

We've had a local firm send us the wrong docs initially and then provide what seems quite an expensive quote when compared to other firms online.

I then instructed one of those online firms (My Home Conveyancing) due to more budget friendly pricing, but have so far found the experience unsatisfactory with our case being passed onto a different person to who I spoke to on the phone - and whom I can find no online information about - and the quote that's appeared in the subsequent documents already being more expensive than quoted on their website, so I'm going to back out of using them.

Is it just worth using our Estate Agents linked conveyancing firm?

Any advice and recommendations would be welcome please!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Partner and I had an offer accepted on leasehold flat in Burgess Hill last week - now need to find a solicitor to get property off the market.

Been trying to find a conveyancing firm, which has been a bit of a nightmare thus far.

We've had a local firm send us the wrong docs initially and then provide what seems quite an expensive quote when compared to other firms online.

I then instructed one of those online firms (My Home Conveyancing) due to more budget friendly pricing, but have so far found the experience unsatisfactory with our case being passed onto a different person to who I spoke to on the phone - and whom I can find no online information about - and the quote that's appeared in the subsequent documents already being more expensive than quoted on their website, so I'm going to back out of using them.

Firstly congratulations on your accepted offer, secondly remember this is (so far) your biggest financial & emotional commitment in life so don’t scrimp on the legal part of this transaction.

Bennett Oakley are a good local firm but in my experience you’ll find all conveyancers frustrating and slow, since the demand for low cost services has increased ( race to the bottom some might say) they have to take on so many cases that most of the time they’re spinning plates, good luck and keep us posted 👍

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
As said above, this is the biggest purchase you will make and going cheap is a false economy.

A few hundred quid extra now could be a good investment in the long run. Online firms are just bucket shops with one or two solicitors overseeing dozens of paralegals relying on churn for profits.

Conveyancing is a long process, expect it to take 12 to 15 weeks. Unlike some believe this is not because your conveyancer is slow but because the process is slow, onboarding you, searches, review of legal docs, enquiries, waiting for those to be answered, reporting back to you, etc etc. it takes time...be patient.

Find a local firm that works for you. Local firms known the area and the weird and wonderful issues in a postcode.

Oh and constantly pushing your solicitor is not a good way of getting something through quickly, they have 50 people doing the same each month for years...it's water of a ducks back for them and just stresses you out if they haven't replied back in a few hours.

Good luck!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As others will also mention, Dean Wilson are superb at any property related matters. I have used them many times.

They are Brighton based though, not sure how much this matters or if they indeed cover BH.

Worth checking though.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I’d also find out if the estate agents have a particular firm that they work with. It can make things a bit smoother if both parties are used to working with each on a regular basis.

As others have said though, don’t skimp on this part of the process. You want whoever you use to be as efficient as possible but also as thorough as possible, particularly where leasehold properties are concerned.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've used FitzhughGates for a few and they've been great but also Countrywide Convenyancing (online) who were also great. Advantages of going local are kind of obvious in that you get to meet someone etc but Countrywide were definitely more efficient, they have paralegals do a lot of the work that a solicitor isn't needed for. I'd go for Countrywide on balance.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As said above, this is the biggest purchase you will make and going cheap is a false economy.

A few hundred quid extra now could be a good investment in the long run. Online firms are just bucket shops with one or two solicitors overseeing dozens of paralegals relying on churn for profits.

Conveyancing is a long process, expect it to take 12 to 15 weeks. Unlike some believe this is not because your conveyancer is slow but because the process is slow, onboarding you, searches, review of legal docs, enquiries, waiting for those to be answered, reporting back to you, etc etc. it takes time...be patient.

Find a local firm that works for you. Local firms known the area and the weird and wonderful issues in a postcode.

Oh and constantly pushing your solicitor is not a good way of getting something through quickly, they have 50 people doing the same each month for years...it's water of a ducks back for them and just stresses you out if they haven't replied back in a few hours.

Good luck!
This. And to add - it's much better to have someone local to you that you can pop into for signing papers etc. For some reason solicitors and land registery haven't discovered digital signing !

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Do not use on line conveyancer. You will be just a number and unable to talk to anyone. Do not use agents conveyancer firm recommendation as likely they will be on an introduction fee. Get a quote from 3 local independant solicitors. When you agree get a name you can contact from start to finish.
Hopefully flat you are buying has a long lease (pref share of freehold) Building is well looked after, and no big expense due on building in near future.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Engleharts were very good.

Richard Woodley was the chap we worked with and he was excellent - managed to get our purchase over the line before the COVID stamp duty change whilst being ill with COVID himself. And he's an Albion fan.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Whole process is a ballache where the industry lacks any form of customer service

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Rohan and Co Haywards Heath

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

I would avoid using any form recommended or associated to the Estste Agents, as you run the risk of indirectly paying a facilitation fee and impartiality.

I’d recommend Bennet Oakley in Burgess Hill for Conveyancing. Used them on my last sale and purchase and no issues at all.

I wouldn’t trust an online conveyancing firm who don’t know the area and often staffed with junior conveyancers on a leasehold property compared to local knowledge personally

Good luck

Last edited:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
My experience when buying property is that the buyers and sellers solicitors always like to pass the buck. My advice would be to ask to be copied in to ALL emails between solicitors so that you can see what's going on and follow up with the relevant party if responses to questions are taking too long.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've used Stephens Son & Pope in Burgess Hill and had no issues.

Just to add a caveat, I know people who have used BO and SS&P and been really happy with them. I also know of 1 incidents with both where they've completely cocked it up! So mistakes can and do happen.

However, literally everyone I know who used a national firm attached to the estate agent have had a bad experience and they've been slow and shit, so based on weight of numbers I'd give Bennet Oakley a shout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here