[Albion] Contenders?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Def top half contenders and top 6. Let’s revisit this halfway through 🤣

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
At the end of the season as the extra Champions League places are given to the two associations with the most coefficient points for the 23-24 season.
Coefficient points based on what sorry? Is this how teams do in Europe basically?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Co-comms yesterday said we were title contenders - absolute bag of shite, of course we're not. No one is, except for Man City.

We could finish 2nd though.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Coefficient points based on what sorry? Is this how teams do in Europe basically?

Yes exactly that. There is some weighting given to previous seasons but overall how English sides do this season will go a long way to deciding if we get that 5th CL spot.

If you want some bedtime reading here is how the points are awarded.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Def top half contenders and top 6. Let’s revisit this halfway through 🤣
Contestants is probably more accurate.

At least we are in the competition.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Contestants is probably more accurate.

At least we are in the competition.
I’m still waiting to wake up from this at a table in the sportsman eating a £3 carvery before we lose to Oldham. Seriously.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m still waiting to wake up from this at a table in the sportsman eating a £3 carvery before we lose to Oldham. Seriously.
Me too. Except mine was fish, chips and mushy peas, and three pints of bitter. I found myself arriving earlier and earlier in order to make the best of the fine dining and well-stocked cellar. @Dick Knights Mumm can confirm :lolol:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Threads like this still worry me. Old habits die hard I guess. I KNOW we are a much better side now but after winning at Watford a couple of years back this was posted. We then lost 6 on the bounce and drew 0–0 with a terrible Norwich side. Since then though…

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
No. As others have said, there are no title contenders this season: there are the champions elect Manchester City then three (or four if Postecoglou has somehow cured Spurs of Spursiness) teams vying for second place. If we can keep producing performances like yesterday's and keep scoring 3-4 goals every game then I think we're one of the three.

But writing those words has made me feel slightly unwell and I think I need to go and have a lie down.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not for the title no. City will win that by a mile.

But as I said in a pre season thread and got roundly mocked for, for a Champions League spot, absolutely we are. We’re better than Spurs, United and Chelsea and there’s really not much between Arsenal, Liverpool and us.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Depends how you look at things. City won the league, but lost 5 and drew 5 last season, and I do believe we could have a season like that, we had 8 draws 12 defeats, and most of those were games we could/should have won, Tottenham home and away, Fulham at home come to mind immediately. So without De Zerbi needing a few games to settle in, without selling our leading scorer in January and with a little luck, yes, we could be in the mix still in the last week's of the season.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We coulda had class....we coulda been a contender....but instead we got a one-way ticket to Palookaville.

Palookaville.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports