Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Consumption Rooms

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Well it makes a change, that's for sure. I guess you felt the need to have a go at someone. I do find your view a bit surprising. No doubt there are some dickheads who have drug problems, and they'd still be dickheads if they didn't. But there are plenty of decent people who've lost their way for whatever reason, who don't deserve your disdain.

I get fed up with people glamorising drugs and drink. There are plenty on here that boast of drug taking and getting pissed out of their minds. That's where my sympathy ends.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I get fed up with people glamorising drugs and drink. There are plenty on here that boast of drug taking and getting pissed out of their minds.
Yes there are. But for one, don't tar everyone with the same brush.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Naive in the extreme.

The are two streams here firstly how can you control, manage and help hopeless drug addicts and how can we prevent others from using drugs and perhaps becoming hopeless drug addicts.

Forget the boring alcohol and nicotine argument, thats here and with all its negatives its ingrained in our communities, just more drugs isnt the answer.

For me it isnt about prosecuting the pot smoker or legalising it, but more how can we limit the chances of mine and your children using drugs.

Prohibition for all of its inconsistencies limits usage and therefore limits chances of drug addiction.

So tweak with current legislation if need be, but dont go down the path of free access to drugs for all unhindered by legislation or stigma otherwise our children too might just need these pathetic and depressing hell holes called consumption rooms.

You will never get it under control. It will ALWAYS get easier and easier to obtain illegal drunks. Thanks to the power of the internet, within 30 minutes, I can probably anonymously buy any amount of common, or even exotic drugs from anywhere in the world, in any kind of volume (for small personal use, or wholesale scale) and there is an extremely slim chance, that I won't receive this through the mail.

As technology moves on, this is only going to get more difficult. Governments and agencies will always be fighting a losing battle I believe, so lets try and do something positive, than waste time, resource and tax payers money by pissing it up the wall.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
At the moment the drug trade is UNCONTROLLED. Law enforcement touches hardly any of it, should you feel the need to go and get some illegal drugs then from what i have heard it is fairly simple to do so. Demand for drugs is massive at the moment and we have ceded control of the trade to unscrupulous criminals. I too am not saying there should be a free-for-all, I am saying there has to be away to get the trade under some control and minimising the harm it causes. I think we agree on this point. However the status quo does NOTHING to minimise the harm of the trade, if anything it INCREASES it. Prohibition does very little to decrease demand.

For the record I do not use drugs, and would not advocate their use either. However I do not see why people who chose to alter their mental state should be criminalised just because they have chosen a proscribed method of doing it. I am more concerned about the victims of burglary, muggings and assaults that are the inevitable result of letting the criminals profit from the current situation. Not too mention the misery caused to populations at the drug source.

I think there should be a debate about how to improve the situation, personally I have no wish to see an anything goes situation, but I would like a solution that positively does something to make peoples lives better rather than the mess we have at the moment.

But unless you are proposing for Government to fulfill the full demand of those wishing to take drugs and the likely increase in demand if decriminalised then a criminal aspect would still exist.

For all its bravado and Sky TV portrayal of drug dealers and cartels, luckily in the grand scale of things dealers aren't at the school gates peddling heroin to our 8 year olds, generally willing adults source their own drugs through other users/dealers, it really isnt a sophisticated process made up of guns and gold bullion, its a seedy sideshow with only a few gangster types making their fortune.

For me I am more concerned that my own children are not immersed in a culture of drug acceptance and abuse which would greatly increase the chances of them becoming users, some kind of government supply line would not help.

Its a bit of a mess, effecting mostly those that require recreational drugs above and beyond what is already legally on offer and their drug using peers already needing consumption rooms but the alternative would be in my view disastrous.

I cannot quite understand how 10 government supplied drug addicts would compare to 5 illicitly supplied drug addicts and how that might improve our communities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here